• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes Jesus so special?

Ori

Angel slayer
Yes, I know, he died for our sins, but ( Christians are not going to like me today) haven't many people died to free others without prior knowledge that everything will be okay?

Could a mod please move this to religious debates please?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, for one thing, Jesus had a good PR person in Paul. Paul put a spin on Jesus's teachings that made them palitable to the underclasses of the Roman Empire. And the Roman Empire facilitated dissemination of Paul's message by facilitating travel over great distances and between countries. So, that's one set of circumstances in how Jesus came to be more important to us than others. But it's certainly not the only reasons he became important.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Orichalcum said:
Yes, I know, he died for our sins, but ( Christians are not going to like me today) haven't many people died to free others without prior knowledge that everything will be okay?

Could a mod please move this to religious debates please?

The original question was "What makes Jesus So Special"; to which I would answer that "He is part of the trinity"; he is the only begotten son of God.

(with apologies to our Eastern orthodox friends)

We believe (I believe) in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, and born of the Father before all ages. (God of God) light of light, true God of true God. Begotten not made, consubstantial to the Father, by whom all things were made. Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven. And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary and was made man; was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, suffered and was buried; and the third day rose again according to the Scriptures. And ascended into heaven, sits at the right hand of the Father, and shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, of whose Kingdom there shall be no end. And (I believe) in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceeds from the Father (and the Son), who together with the Father and the Son is to be adored and glorified, who spoke by the Prophets. And one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We confess (I confess) one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for (I look for) the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen."

That's why he is special, to me.
icon7.gif

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
The original question was "What makes Jesus So Special"; to which I would answer that "He is part of the trinity"; he is the only begotten son of God.
According to fable ...

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Orichalcum said:
haven't many people died to free others without prior knowledge that everything will be okay?
Could you expound on this please? I need more before I can answer. What do you mean by prior knowledge that everything will be okay?

c0da

I doubt he would have gained his reputation of being so special if the story of his ressurection hadn't been circulated so well.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i'm rather a fan of the romanticised image of Jesus

but anyway, Jesus is only "special" to those who accept and believe he was real, and that he was the son of God........ i can see why a belief in him can be criticised, and knowledge of him cannot be varified, but i have a faith in him, so he is special to me :hugs:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
~Lord Roghen~ said:
here comes the sad and pessimistic atheists *sighs*
there is nothing wrong with asking questions! again, you generalise atheists to be sad and pessimistic, why?

Linus

Orichalcum said:
but... haven't many people died to free others without prior knowledge that everything will be okay?

I guess. I don't really know.

What makes Jesus so special? According to the Bible he lived a sinless life. Completely. He never sinned. Not even once.

1 John 3:5 - You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin
2 Corinthians 5:21 - He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
Hebrews 4:15 - For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.
1 Peter 2:22 (A quotation of Isaiah 53:9) - WHO COMMITTED NO SIN, NOR WAS ANY DECEIT FOUND IN HIS MOUTH;

This is a very important facet of Christianity because a perfect sacrifice was needed in order to cleanse the sins of mankind. A lamb without blemish. The only person on record to have no blemish was Jesus Christ. Does that help?

I'll also give a hearty "Amen" to Michel for his response. That is a very appropriate answer as well.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Orichalcum said:
I personally don't believe that Jesus died for our sins so that part is moot for me. I don't believe that God requires a blood sacrifice. And I don't believe that Jesus had foreknowledge that everything was going to be ok.

Jesus is so special to me because Jesus loved God with all his heart and all his soul and all his might AND he loved people as he loved himself. He saw the two commandments/laws as one and the same. There are very few people who have done that.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
To answer the title of the thread while waiting for an answer to the OP, I will say that what makes Jesus so special to me is his claim of being God. The fact that a part of God himself would care enough to come to earth as a human and sacrifice himself for us?

That notion is astoundingly special to me.......

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
lilithu said:
Jesus is so special to me because Jesus loved God with all his heart and all his soul and all his might AND he loved people as he loved himself.
Or, more correctly, the filtered and redacted story paints a picture of someone who ... So, for example, your Jesus shows little resemblance to the Jesus who treated his mother with disdain and who was, if one includes the infancy gospels, a rather nasty little kid.

PureX

Veteran Member
Jesus, through the story of his life and death, has become the embodiment of the idea that love and forgiveness can and will heal us and save us from ourselves. All we have to do is have the willingness and courage to love and forgive ourselves and each other even (and especially) in the face hatred and anger and resentment and rage. This is a very powerful and hopeful idea, people have experienced this idea as life-changing, and that makes Jesus a very special representative character.