• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes it hard for you to trust God?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What shakes your trust in God?

I would have to say innocent people and children being raped and tortured to death makes it tough to trust God. It's hard to know if there is evidence that trusting in God decreases the likelihood of that happening.

Reading the Bible, and reading about Lot trying to hand his daughter over to rapists, and he does not get turned into a pillar of salt, but God turns his wife into a pillar of salt for simply looking behind her has that effect.

Reading something so ridiculous makes me wonder how trustworthy God is.

The God that I have experienced is worthy of worshipping, because there has been some valuable graces that came from it, but I'm skeptical of how trustworthy and dependable He is.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I would have to say innocent people and children being raped and tortured to death makes it tough to trust God. It's hard to know if there is evidence that trusting in God decreases the likelihood of that happening.

Reading the Bible, and reading about Lot trying to hand his daughter over to rapists, and he does not get turned into a pillar of salt, but God turns his wife into a pillar of salt for simply looking behind her has that effect.

The God that I have experienced is worthy of worshipping, because there has been some valuable graces that came from it, but I'm skeptical of how trustworthy and dependable He is.

What about that part where mom eats from the tree of knowledge and he punishes her, dad, and the snake? You'd figure he'd just let a minor slip up pass if he was a nice guy. No, no, everyone must pay!

How about that other part where the religions founded on the belief of him try to make up for the sins of our initial parents by dedicating themselves to spiritual slavery and ignorance?

I guess I've said enough...

74x12

It's hard to know if there is evidence that trusting in God decreases the likelihood of that happening.
Oh ye of little faith. :) If you pray with faith and righteousness it does make a difference. The problem is that it's a war. Don't think that satan and his angels don't work very hard to cause evil in the world. But when someone with faith prays and intercede it is fighting back against the darkness.

Jesus certainly said that it's impossible but offenses must come. However yes we can decrease them by prayer.
Lot certainly wasn't operating in faith when he offered his daughters, but he wasn't thinking clearly. Probably panicked.

In those days people held guests as being sacred. You could not allow a guest to be harmed under your roof. That's why the angels came disguised as peaceful travelers. Because the people of Sodom were being tested to see how they would treat them. This was literally a test of hospitality. Lot passed the test(maybe not with flying colors, but he passed). The people of Sodom failed the test.

If you knew for sure that an angel came from God and told you something; then you should believe it because it's an angel. A being that has stood in the presence of God before His throne and received a message from God. Of course the same doesn't hold true for angels that haven't come from God. But these two angels had come from God. Lot's wife did not believe them unfortunately.
How about that other part where the religions founded on the belief of him try to make up for the sins of our initial parents by dedicating themselves to spiritual slavery and ignorance?
You can't make up for it with religion and certainly not with ignorant religion.

Only Jesus can save anyone now.
What about that part where mom eats from the tree of knowledge and he punishes her, dad, and the snake? You'd figure he'd just let a minor slip up pass if he was a nice guy. No, no, everyone must pay!
A minor slip was more than enough. You see the mess the world is in now? And all because they rolled that pebble; which started an avalanche.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
A minor slip was more than enough. You see the mess the world is in now? And all because they rolled that pebble; which started an avalanche.

Yeah, you can have your douche-y Jehovah and Jesus. I'm still siding with grandpa and grandma on this one. :D

You can numb your mind with The Bible, or live free of it. My path is the very wisdom you fear and the freedom you can't handle. That's, OK, I understand some people cannot deal that level of personal sovereignty or responsibility. :D

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I am sure that His lack of existence could have a not negligible effect on my trust in Him.

Ciao

- viole

74x12

You can numb your mind with The Bible, or live free of it. My path is the very wisdom you fear and the freedom you can't handle. That's, OK, I understand some people cannot deal that level of personal sovereignty or responsibility. :D
It's Jesus that came to proclaim liberty to the captives.