• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes for times of increased persecution, such as that in India now?

whirlingmerc

Is it culture? leadership? other?

For example why the sharp increase in persecution of Muslims and Christians under Prime minister Modi?

Coincidence?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of the time it tends be be economic uncertainty leading to personal feelings of insecurity, then blame.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
But is that the case in India today?
Could be. I'm not Indian and don't live in India. Many times economists will say the economy is on the up, but that's not what it's like from the little people's perspective.

whirlingmerc

Could be. I'm not Indian and don't live in India. Many times economists will say the economy is on the up, but that's not what it's like from the little people's perspective.

I wonder how people from India see this. The prime minister is hugely popular but there's a significant rise in persecution under him.

whirlingmerc

Hindu nationalism? Have Muslims and Christians worn out their welcome?

Apparently the part of Mahatma Gandi has the weakest showing in a very long time and the more nationalistic party took over of Modi

Interesting inversion....

Increased nationalism defined as Hindi not necessarily others like Indian Muslims Sieks or Christians. But when individual's come to other countries they hope for inclusiveness and tolerance and I hope they find it... but perhaps as Jesus said 'do unto others as you would want them to do to you'

Some are saying some students sign promises not to convert if they come to America and some Christian Indian students having trouble getting bank loans and persecution on the rise... seems less than inclusive

I suppose it's human nature?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
World wide there is a rise in discrimination of minorities whether it be Muslims in Buddhist dominated Myanmar, India, China's horrible atrocities, attacks by Muslim fanatics on other Muslims and other religions, anti-Semitism in the US and elsewhere etc.

So to me it's best looked at from a world-wide perspective.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I stand unconvinced that there is significant persecution of Muslims and Christians in current India, but when persecution exists it very consistently involves some sort of perception of dispute towards resources of some kind.

Without that perception, there may be disagreement, even nastiness, but it is unlikely to manifest as persecution to any significant degree.

And sure, Nationalism is one of the uglier guises that those feelings tend to take.

That said, I have learned enough about the history of Islaam and of Christianity to be very reluctant to lend credibility to claims of persecution against them, particularly in India.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't pretend to know enough about India to have an informed opinion.

But I do know that persecution of queer people ramped up when we started expecting equality, here in the USA.
My guess is that when confident majorities start losing a bit of control they respond with persecution.
Tom

exchemist

Veteran Member

For example why the sharp increase in persecution of Muslims and Christians under Prime minister Modi?

Coincidence?
Nationalism.

Nationalism rejects other cultures and breeds a narrow of vision of humanity. Modi is an Indian nationalist, who exploits Hinduism to further his political goals.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think there has almost always been persecution of Hindus in India. One example is taxation of Hindu temples and government control of Hindu temples. If mosques or churches were taxed, there would be a huge stink by the western press. Muslims can get government grants to make a pilgrimage to Mecca, but Hindus wouldn't be given a grant to make a pilgrimage of 5 miles.

Historically, Hindus were just too nice, allowing people in, not really understanding who they were allowing in, and what they were up to. They gave safe haven to Jews, early Christians, Buddhists (Where did the Dalai Lama go when China took over Tibet?) Hindus and Mother India have been overly tolerant for a very long time. During the Muslim invasions, probably the largest genocide (of Hindus) in the history of this planet, 100 000 Hindu temples were destroyed, and built over. A society doesn't forget all that easily.

So now that Modi has come along saying he will give Hindus some of the rights that Muslims and Christians have had that Hindus didn't have, it's just getting a fairer balance going.

The western (and Indian) press, for a long time, has been very anti Hindu, and I think people have been duped into believing a lot of it.

There, I said it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Coincidence?

Fear mostly. People tend to persecute that which they are most afraid of. If you can instill fear in a population, persecution will follow.