• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a song "Satanic?"

Orias

Left Hand Path
I believe that music is left to the imagination of the listener. Marilyn Manson, for example, sings
against god, therefor people call his music satanic. Manson said in his autobiography that he visited with Anton LaVey several times, but never really considered himself a satanist because he
didnt believe in the Devil or God. Its just all in how it is taken by the public.

Dunno how much I can believe this, LaVey himself didn't believe in God or the "devil".

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I Am a LHPather/Setian/Satanist. In my view what makes a piece of music "Satanic" is how it effects me, how it inspires my Satanic being. For me personally as a musician and as one who does still consider himself to be Satanic, all the music that I create, be it black metal or neo-classical, etc., has a Satanic element within it. Which is linked to my Dark Works which is a manifestation of the Black Magic, which is in turn the spawn of the Black Flame of Set! :bat:

Xeper!
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Dunno how much I can believe this, LaVey himself didn't believe in God or the "devil".
Manson is an honorary priest of the Church of Satan. Now if it was Marilyn Manson or Brain Warner that was inducted I don't know. And according to Peter Gilmore, Manson did indeed meet LeVay.

Heretic29

Im not sure which was considered to have joined the church, but yes, he is a preist of the church of satan. I have heard (but not sure) that satanism is more about the belief of yourself as a god
more than a worship of an actual Devil. (someone please correct me if im wrong) i always liked
what LaVey said "inside every man is a demon that needs to be excercised, not exorsised". Kind of
leads me to believe that man needs to indulge in the most basic, dark needs.

jasonwill2

I believe that music is left to the imagination of the listener. Marilyn Manson, for example, sings
against god, therefor people call his music satanic. Manson said in his autobiography that he visited with Anton LaVey several times, but never really considered himself a satanist because he
didnt believe in the Devil or God. Its just all in how it is taken by the public.

He is a card carrying member of the Church of Satan I thought.

Manson is an honorary priest of the Church of Satan. Now if it was Marilyn Manson or Brain Warner that was inducted I don't know. And according to Peter Gilmore, Manson did indeed meet LeVay.

I remember seeing a video of him saying something of the sort. LaVey did live until 1997 after all.

Im not sure which was considered to have joined the church, but yes, he is a preist of the church of satan. I have heard (but not sure) that satanism is more about the belief of yourself as a god
more than a worship of an actual Devil. (someone please correct me if im wrong) i always liked
what LaVey said "inside every man is a demon that needs to be excercised, not exorsised". Kind of
leads me to believe that man needs to indulge in the most basic, dark needs.

True; the Church of Satan does not believe in the Christian Devil, they believe in the person seeing themselves as a god, and enjoying life to how they see fit. (as long as it doesn't mess with others living their life). They do have other beliefs, like an eye for an eye, ect ect. But at the core its about being your own god.

Orias

Left Hand Path

I didn't mean to question that, just merely that Manson didn't believe in God or the "devil" and neither did LaVey.

So the story kind of confused me.