• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a song "Satanic?"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The other thread got my thinking what really is Satanic music? Afterall many of the black metal bands and those like King Diamond and Slayer are really nothing more than a gimmick. Many of the artists that raise the middle finger to god while proclaiming "Hail Satan" are atheist.
So what makes a song Satanic? The values, the references, or what? Does music being anti-God and religion make it Satanic? Is it Satanic to sing about invoking Satan and standing at the left hand of God, or is it Satanic to sing about God being a terrible lie? To sing about a Medieval Priest that turns to Satan, or proclaiming God is dead and no one cares? Or is it Satanic to make very blasphemous sexual innuendos aimed at Jesus even though the artists typically does not write such material?
So out of curiosity how do people define "Satanic music?" Is ringing Hell's bells enough, or does it take saying a corrupt Lord's Prayer being offered up to Lucifer?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Pretty much a person's opinion. Satanic music is really adversarial music, so any lyrics against a person's beliefs (as viewed from a Christian POV) is Satanic. Really calling a song Satanic has nothing behind it. However, songs can have LHP and occult influenced themes, which in many cases would make them seem Satanic. Theses are not the Marylin Manson Antichrist Superstar songs, but I am thinking more Tool and Rishloo lyrics, as I think I recommended on the other thread.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The other thread got my thinking what really is Satanic music? Afterall many of the black metal bands and those like King Diamond and Slayer are really nothing more than a gimmick. Many of the artists that raise the middle finger to god while proclaiming "Hail Satan" are atheist.
So what makes a song Satanic? The values, the references, or what? Does music being anti-God and religion make it Satanic? Is it Satanic to sing about invoking Satan and standing at the left hand of God, or is it Satanic to sing about God being a terrible lie? To sing about a Medieval Priest that turns to Satan, or proclaiming God is dead and no one cares? Or is it Satanic to make very blasphemous sexual innuendos aimed at Jesus even though the artists typically does not write such material?
So out of curiosity how do people define "Satanic music?" Is ringing Hell's bells enough, or does it take saying a corrupt Lord's Prayer being offered up to Lucifer?

How is King Diamond a gimmick?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How is King Diamond a gimmick?
I read from one source he described himself as agnostic and really doesn't have any religious views, and when I looked for it now I'm finding he was a Satanist, is a Satanist, and never was. But a "like" on the MF/KD Facebook page is a daily Satanic Bible excerpt, and the general opinion on the MF/KD site seems to be he is. Whatever his views his music is still awesome.
Oh well, there are plenty of other artists that work as an example of the ones who put on a gimmick just for show.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
As far as metal bands go, bands like King Diamond, Dark Funeral, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor members being actual Satanists or Sorcerers or LHPathers, From what I know of these bands from being a fan and studying up on there members - King Diamond actually proclaimed his allegiance to what he calls Satan when he wrote "The Oath" back in the early 1980's and has been a Satanist ever since. I think Kerry King of Slayer is a Satanist, Lord Ahriman of Dark Funeral is for real, supposedly the band Naglfar is for real. As for Dimmu Borgir or Emperor or Cradle of Filth I'm not sure, but they were bands that help(ed) shape the "Black Metal" genre. And also have written some of the best BM style lyrics.

A lot of people don't know it but Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue was a member of the Temple of Set back in the early 1980's, during their "To Fast For Love" and "Shout At The Devil" years - (Notice they used the ToS Pentagram of Set as a part of their logo, it is the full cover on the "Shout At The Devil" album.)

[Pentagram of Set: an inverse pentagram at the center of a circle, however, the points of the pentagram do not touch the circle.] Anybody have a link?

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I read from one source he described himself as agnostic and really doesn't have any religious views, and when I looked for it now I'm finding he was a Satanist, is a Satanist, and never was. But a "like" on the MF/KD Facebook page is a daily Satanic Bible excerpt, and the general opinion on the MF/KD site seems to be he is. Whatever his views his music is still awesome.
Oh well, there are plenty of other artists that work as an example of the ones who put on a gimmick just for show.

I was just curious because I loved his album "Voodoo".

Also, would you LHPers consider "The Project Hate" to be satanic? They're another favorite of mine.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A lot of people don't know it but Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue was a member of the Temple of Set back in the early 1980's, during their "To Fast For Love" and "Shout At The Devil" years - (Notice they used the ToS Pentagram of Set as a part of their logo, it is the full cover on the "Shout At The Devil" album.)
I had no idea, but then again I'm really not into Motley Crue. As for Kerry King I read in a newspaper interview several years ago in which he said he doesn't believe in any god or devil, heaven or hell, and that he is an atheist. (The interviewer asked him about his personal beliefs in regards to the Satanic themes portrayed in their music) I also remember him saying they are fans of there own music, and only release what they like.

Also, would you LHPers consider "The Project Hate" to be satanic? They're another favorite of mine.
I personally typically consider something Satanic by what is being portrayed. Something doesn't have to be inherently Satanic to actually be Satanic. Aerosmith for instance is not a Satanic band, nor are their songs, but the sexual charge of their songs bring them into alignment with indulging in carnal desires. As For Project Hate I've not heard of them, but I am checking them out.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Shadow Wolf for me to answer simply I must say that any lyric that Opposes a way of life or contradicts another is Satanic to me.

As vague as that is...heh :D

ScottySatan

One could say "You make music Satanic, of course!", but there's more.

Isn't there an old story... A missionary in Darkest Africa spent months teaching the gospel to pagans. He criticized them for playing the drums to worship their pagan gods. They retorted that the missionary's son listened to the same drum beats at night on the radio (Elvis Presley).

Wasn't it also said "The Devil has all the best tunes"?

Wasn't it also thought for most of christian civilization that secular music was evil? For good reason too.

Self-gratification, self-distinction, money, fame. Yes, some Satanic musicians include The Beatles, Enya, Garth Brooks, Kenny G, Beyonce, Phil Collins, Mozart, Barry Manilow, and maybe YOUR OWN MOTHER.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Shadow Wolf for me to answer simply I must say that any lyric that Opposes a way of life or contradicts another is Satanic to me.
Vague, but accurate I must say considering it is the nature of Satan to oppose and accuse.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Leviathan= the primordial source of life to the Old/Ancient Ones, of which We Are the Spawn. :sarcastic

Reyn Til Runa!
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
That depends on which version of Satan you are referencing, though.

I think it depends on how I view influence.

Because when people hear the word "Satan" it impacts them regardless of what they believe, such as the words that we speak.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I had no idea, but then again I'm really not into Motley Crue. As for Kerry King I read in a newspaper interview several years ago in which he said he doesn't believe in any god or devil, heaven or hell, and that he is an atheist. (The interviewer asked him about his personal beliefs in regards to the Satanic themes portrayed in their music) I also remember him saying they are fans of there own music, and only release what they like.

I was into Motley Crue and even Kiss for a number of months when I was 15 years old, but that was until I discovered bands like Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Venom, etc. :bat:

As for that last sentence, being a fan of your own music and only, [when it comes to your own music], releasing what you like - now that is the only way to do it and is a good sign of a Satanic musician. Just one man's opinion.

/Adramelek\

Last edited:

jasonwill2

I consider them posers unless they actually talk about Satanic Doctrine that DOESN'T mention them evil Christians in every freaking song.

One could say "You make music Satanic, of course!", but there's more.

Isn't there an old story... A missionary in Darkest Africa spent months teaching the gospel to pagans. He criticized them for playing the drums to worship their pagan gods. They retorted that the missionary's son listened to the same drum beats at night on the radio (Elvis Presley).

Wasn't it also said "The Devil has all the best tunes"?

Wasn't it also thought for most of christian civilization that secular music was evil? For good reason too.

Self-gratification, self-distinction, money, fame. Yes, some Satanic musicians include The Beatles, Enya, Garth Brooks, Kenny G, Beyonce, Phil Collins, Mozart, Barry Manilow, and maybe YOUR OWN MOTHER.

Lol. +1

Vague, but accurate I must say considering it is the nature of Satan to oppose and accuse.

Considering it's HIS NAME, yes, it kinda is like him, lol. Ha-Satan = The Accuser, Satan = one who opposes/adversary.

--=--=--==--=-==--=-==-

As far as "what makes it Satanic", I must say that truly Satanic music is lacking. Whenever we get another anti-christian band that tries to be "satanic" it only helps spread misconception. Any idiot that plays a guitar and inverts teh cross calls themselves Satanic. but what these idiots do not realize is that the inverted cross is Saint Peter's cross, and is actually a catholic symbol, it's not Satanic at all but in idiot Protestants' minds.

I say most of them are posers and should have to stare Satan down for trying to claim to be a Satanist merely because they are just some Christian hating rock band. Satanism goes so far beyond Christianity it would blow most people's minds.

Heretic29

I believe that music is left to the imagination of the listener. Marilyn Manson, for example, sings
against god, therefor people call his music satanic. Manson said in his autobiography that he visited with Anton LaVey several times, but never really considered himself a satanist because he
didnt believe in the Devil or God. Its just all in how it is taken by the public.