• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what makes a Christian?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
What beliefs do you think makes someone a Christian?

I think it's all about accepting Christ as Lord:
  • Christ is God
  • Christ saves
Do you agree or disagree with this?

If so, why?

Can you think of anything else, that defines a Christian?
I assure you and most solemnly say to you, he who believes [in Me as Savior—whoever adheres to, trusts in, relies on, and has faith in Me—already] has eternal life [that is, now possesses it].

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

• Christ is God
  • Christ saves

If so, why?

I think its all about accepting Jesus Christ as Lord.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If so, why? Can you think of anything else, that defines a Christian?

What defines a Christian I find is defined by Jesus' New commandment found at John 13:34-35 is to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, to love as Jesus loved. Love more than the Golden Rule because to now love others more than self.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
  • Christ is God
  • Christ saves
Do you agree or disagree with this? If so, why? Can you think of anything else, that defines a Christian?

I find that pre-human heavenly Jesus was "in" the beginning but he was never 'before' the beginning.
Only God being from everlasting was ' before' the beginning of any thing according to Psalms 90:2
Whereas, John wrote at Revelation 3:14 B that pre-human Jesus was the beginning.
Even the resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus still thinks he has his God over him - Revelation 3:12

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think a Christian is defined by these two:
... The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
Acts 11:26
Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
John 8:31-32

.... and I find that what Jesus taught is the truth that sets us free from what is false.
Jesus also set us free from the temporary Constitution of the Mosaic Law for ancient Israel - Romans 10:4
Jesus also defined Christian at John 13:34-35 to have self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
To now love others MORE than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Actually I think that it’s anyone who applies the golden rule and the sermon on the mount.
I find Jesus did more than apply the Golden Rule (the kingly law/ the royal law- James 2:8) and his Sermon on the Mount because Jesus fulfilled the Constitution of the Mosaic Law (Romans 10:4) and replaced it with his New Commandment found at John 13:34-35. - John 15:12; Ephesians 5:2; 1 John 3:16
Now love others more than self, more than the Golden Rule. Have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I've asked that question to Christians of different denominations, here, on another forum and IRL. The conclusion was always that there is nothing all would agree upon. "Christian" is a label without meaning.

I find we don't have to ask Christians of different denominations because we need to read what Jesus taught.
Jesus gave us the agreeable definition of what makes a Christian as found at John 13:34-35; 1 John 3:16
Christians would love as Jesus loved. Self-sacrificing love putting others above self. More than the Golden Rule.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think any use of Christian mythology and symbolism can make someone Christian if that is how they want to identify.............................

There is No Christian symbolism because Christians 'walk by faith and Not by sight ' (sighted things) 2 Corinthians 5:7

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I assure you and most solemnly say to you, he who believes [in Me as Savior—whoever adheres to, trusts in, relies on, and has faith in Me—already] has eternal life [that is, now possesses it].
Yes, now possesses it as long as one endures to the end - Matthew 24:13; Mark 13:13; 1 John 1:7 A
Found faithful at death, or found faithful at Jesus' coming Glory Time of separation found at Matthew 25:31-34, 37

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
As far as slavery goes, no matter how it goes, we all are slaves to death at the very least. If you don't believe that, ok, have a nice day. Your points against the scriptures show me you do not understand that (1) having slaves was the thing then and sometimes now in the form of keeping humans as slaves, and (2) societies were different to an extent. Anyway -- again -- have a nice day. :)

Sorry, you missed my point, so I'll ask again, what are some specific Christian VALUES that are somehow unique or original to Christianity? :)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
And P.S. - there is no "cherry picking" values. Maybe you can describe what it means to love your enemy and your brother. What do you think?

I didn't say cherry-picking values, I said cherry-picking scripture.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I don't spend time wondering if other people are Christians or not. That's between them and God in my opinion. It's enough work to keep myself on the straight and narrow.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Yeah but all the Abrahamic scriptures are chock full of contradictions. So I'm more interested in what people think "Christian values" are, than cherry-picking some scripture.

And, full disclosure, I don't think any of the Abrahamic religions have anything novel to offer in the way of good values. I think they all "borrowed" some existing good values. And further, because they're soooo stuck in the mud, they haven't kept up with society's improvement in good values over the centuries.

For example, the Bible and the Quran are fine with slavery, yikes!
What are some verses from the bible that make it "fine with slavery.?"

Heyo

Veteran Member
I find we don't have to ask Christians of different denominations because we need to read what Jesus taught.
Only that Jesus alleged teachings are so cryptic that no two self professed Christians agree what they mean. And your opinion is as good as the next "Christian's" opinion.

• Christ is God
  • Christ saves

If so, why?

Hello Eddi, Great post, and I do agree with what you are saying, personally speaking, We do intend to follow His steps by keeping His commandments.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited: