• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a Christian?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's a tactic of the skeptics to show 'the differences between Christian religions', and then when it comes to the bible - show how it's 'no different than other faiths.'

Each version of the bible is different in some ways, some even omit passages because... Why?
I've met many different types / denominations of Christian, there are many different ones on RF. I have no problems with the number.

It seems Christians do. Yet many are willing to argue that they are true Christian and yhe other denominations (which they deny exist) are wrong and all going to hell.

From the sidelines i find this rather humorous

PruePhillip

Each version of the bible is different in some ways, some even omit passages because... Why?
I've met many different types / denominations of Christian, there are many different ones on RF. I have no problems with the number.

It seems Christians do. Yet many are willing to argue that they are true Christian and yhe other denominations (which they deny exist) are wrong and all going to hell.

From the sidelines i find this rather humorous

Re the bible. You would need to look at the stats on how many verses are shared in all translations.
Some vary because they draw from the earliest translations - all handwritten and passed around for generations.
What these 45,000 or so churches do is INTERPRET scripture, or seek to DIFFERENTIATE to attract people.
IMO the older translations are more faithful - and I figure you can't really interpret or diferentiate when you are dealing with example. And the New Testament is heavily focussed upon example - how to treat others, how to conduct your service, the nature of the ministry etc..

ChristineM

Premium Member
You would need to look at the stats on how many verses are shared in all translations.

Just compare the KJV with the NIV qs an example.

Some vary because they draw from the earliest translations - all handwritten and passed around for generations.

There is no original version so it is unknown how close to the original any translation is

IMO the older translations are more faithful

To what? There is no original to compare it with. The Vulgate is the earliest complete bible and that came some 89 years after the original was compiled to start a different denomination.

I figure you can't really interpret or diferentiate when you are dealing with example.

Yet most do.

And the New Testament is heavily focussed upon example - how to treat others,

As does the OT, loathing of believers of different beliefs, genocide, murder, slavery, rape, theft etc.

wellwisher

What are, in your opinion, the defining characteristics of a Christian?

There are 41,000+ denominations in Christianity. That fact alone shows that there have to be a lot of differences between them. But are there still communalities left? Has the claim to be a Christian any value any more?
Being an atheist answers exactly one question and nothing more. Does being a Christian tell me more?

In many places, such as in Southern USA, a group of neighbors can hire a preacher, build a meeting place to form another church. The 41,000 churches is misleading since it like saying we each need to choose who will be our primary care physician, therefore, each group with a different doctor, is another form of medicine. This choice of doctor is as much for the soul as the body.

Science will claim there is only one form of modern Medicine. If this is true why do need to make a choice? I suppose we can look at it either way since they all prescribe the same pills even if they went to different medical schools.

When I lived in southern USA, people choose or form a church for the community and the preacher. They want to feel community, along with their faith. The smaller churches have to pay tithes to support the salary of the preacher and the upkeep of church, Some people felt better about this shared responsibility being among birds of a feather. Hospitals also market themselves with this in mind.

Colt

What are, in your opinion, the defining characteristics of a Christian?

There are 41,000+ denominations in Christianity. That fact alone shows that there have to be a lot of differences between them. But are there still communalities left? Has the claim to be a Christian any value any more?
Being an atheist answers exactly one question and nothing more. Does being a Christian tell me more?
A person who has faith in Jesus and is motivated to do the will of God. IMOP

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Your left eye and the cancer cells in your liver are of one body and the commonalities are your DNA and that both live in your body. The commonality between you and Kent Hovind is that you both live in Florida but I'm more interested in the DNA in this analogy.
@sun rise (and others) already questioned the creed. Is there something else, something more basic?

:) We would call the cancer cells "from the enemy" - and our white corpuscles would view it the same way :)

Applying it to Christianity, it would be those who are wolves in sheep clothing. :)

It sounds like you are looking for something in specific since you were speaking generally before. If you want to narrow it down. Jesus died for our sins, his blood washes our sins, he resurrected to deliver us from death and making Him our Lord seals the convenent.

Kenny

Premium Member
The body is made up of thousands of parts, millions of cells, trillions of molecules. How many parts, do you have of Christianity. There are hundreds of major denominations and thousands of offshoots.

And each one has hundreds and/or thousands of cells (people) and over time - trillions.

I think you are getting the point now. WELL DONE! :) Of course, it is an biblical analogy and at some point you can point where it doesn't quite hold up.

ChristineM

Premium Member
WOW! You do have quite an imagination. ;)

No imagination needed it's been said to me often as well my children threatened with burning in hell because I don't believe.

Oh, and i have been physically attacked once and spit on and/or jostling on occasion.

It's attitudes like yours that propagate such abuse by ignoring it happens and blaming the victim. Far better if you helped to sort Christianity out.

ChristineM

Premium Member
And each one has hundreds and/or thousands of cells (people) and over time - trillions.

I think you are getting the point now. WELL DONE! :) Of course, it is an biblical analogy and at some point you can point where it doesn't quite hold up.

But it does hold up unless of course you can provide evidence that it doesn't

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In many places, such as in Southern USA, a group of neighbors can hire a preacher, build a meeting place to form another church. The 41,000 churches is misleading since it like saying we each need to choose who will be our primary care physician, therefore, each group with a different doctor, is another form of medicine. This choice of doctor is as much for the soul as the body.
Denominations are defined in terms of authority: if a church recognizes no authority above it besides God - no synod, council, whatever - then it's its own denomination... even if its beliefs are identical to the church down the street that also recognizes no authority over itself besides God.

Your physician, OTOH, is under several authorities like : the government licensing board, their medical association, the research establishment that informs their continuing education, etc.

... so not a great analogy.

Kenny

Premium Member
No imagination needed it's been said to me often as well my children threatened with burning in hell because I don't believe.

Oh, and i have been physically attacked once and spit on and/or jostling on occasion.

It's attitudes like yours that propagate such abuse by ignoring it happens and blaming the victim. Far better if you helped to sort Christianity out.
You said "eating children".

I suspect that:

1) you exaggerated
2) If not, they weren't Christians in the first place
3) You seem to exemplify the very attitude you don't like others to do
4) You forget that people have called Christians "cannibals"

You were saying?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
:) We would call the cancer cells "from the enemy" - and our white corpuscles would view it the same way :)

Applying it to Christianity, it would be those who are wolves in sheep clothing. :)

It sounds like you are looking for something in specific since you were speaking generally before. If you want to narrow it down. Jesus died for our sins, his blood washes our sins, he resurrected to deliver us from death and making Him our Lord seals the convenent.

Well, my wife would disagree, because she is a Christian according herself, but not you.

Kenny

Premium Member
But it does hold up unless of course you can provide evidence that it doesn't
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

you are right... it does hold up.

I think you are getting it. :)