• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a Christian?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
What are, in your opinion, the defining characteristics of a Christian?
The cup:
'Christian' is a label. The real basis is that which allows the label: Eucharist or as I call it 'Communion'. It is all about sharing in the cup of Christ. We describe it different ways, but it is the cup that is the center. A Christian is someone who takes communion.

This is not the same as the ideal of a Christian. The ideal Christian has perfect character. In that sense not all Christians are Christians. I'd say that there are more than what appears but not many, as it is a strict ideal. Also not everyone agrees on all of its particulars.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah. I missed that on the wiki article. Thank you.

However I diagree that 45000 communities with differing beliefs is no different than 450 communities with differing beliefs. World-wide 450 is "a lot"?

Totes a lot, yup.
The only way you're getting down to 450 (and to be clear, I don't think you would...I was merely making a point) is by counting instances of theological difference. What might have once been considered heretical beliefs.

So if you get to a point where there are 450 different interpretations of the same message, it's fair to say I'd have some reservations about the clarity of the communication.

That's without even considering gems like the fact that many Roman Catholics hold heretical beliefs without even realising it (as an example).

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've been a participant in a similar discussion with regard to my faith, and came out of all that with a simple conclusion that I could live with, regarding individuals. It may or may not be helpful in this discussion. It was helpful to me, as it respects all. If the person calls themselves a Christian, (in my previous discussion, a Hindu) then they are. Who am I (or you) to decide for another person how they want to label themselves religiously?
My view for which i have been told I'm wrong so often by "true" Christians is, if they believe they are Christian then that's good enough for me, they are Christian.
That's what I call the "census takers criterion". It is also enough for me but I'm interested in Christians' opinion, especially those who call themselves Christians but refuse to specify that with a denomination. (Which happened multiple times lately.)
The question is, what information does it give me about a person when they call themselves Christian?
My thesis, backed by experiences on other sites, is that there really is nothing two Christians agree upon aside from the census takers criterion. I don't know if I have a chill and inclusive Episcopalian before me or a bat**** crazy NIFB.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's what I call the "census takers criterion". It is also enough for me but I'm interested in Christians' opinion, especially those who call themselves Christians but refuse to specify that with a denomination. (Which happened multiple times lately.)
The question is, what information does it give me about a person when they call themselves Christian?
My thesis, backed by experiences on other sites, is that there really is nothing two Christians agree upon aside from the census takers criterion. I don't know if I have a chill and inclusive Episcopalian before me or a bat**** crazy NIFB.
You're right that it gives you no information. My answer was more in response to all those folks who make the ludicrous claim that there version is the only 'correct' version. Your observation applies to my faith as well, and further questioning is on the tip of my tongue if indeed it is a discussion.

InChrist

Free4ever

There are 41,000+ denominations in Christianity. That fact alone shows that there have to be a lot of differences between them. But are there still communalities left? Has the claim to be a Christian any value any more?
Being an atheist answers exactly one question and nothing more. Does being a Christian tell me more?

A Christian is one who has placed their faith in Jesus Christ Alone to be saved from their sins and born again to new eternal life.
Denominations or churches do not save or make anyone a Christian.

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Correct, there isn't, its over 45000,
Quick Facts About Global Christianity - Center for the Study of Global Christianity
Now getting close to 50,000 and increase at around 5 new denominations per week.

There are also 200+ different versions of the bible in the English language, each is different, some considerably so. Who knows how many in other languages.

Yes there are a lot of denominations of Christianity in the world , i wonder why some people are so keen to deny it
Because the application is ridiculous.

How many parts do you have of your body? So, because you have an eye, ear and a nose that look different, act different and have different purposes, are there no commonality? Is it still one body?

Those who work with "40,000 denominations" or whatever, are simply sheeples that baaaa the latest catch all. I should know, I use to do that! :)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

There are 41,000+ denominations in Christianity. That fact alone shows that there have to be a lot of differences between them. But are there still communalities left? Has the claim to be a Christian any value any more?
Being an atheist answers exactly one question and nothing more. Does being a Christian tell me more?
Usually the Nicene creed covers it all.

But look at your body, the differences in use and appearance... but the commonality is that you are still one body.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What are, in your opinion, the defining characteristics of a Christian?....................

Jesus gives us a clue as found at John 13:34-35 that defining characteristics of a Christian would be marked by having the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, to now love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18
To carry out Jesus' instructions found at Matthew 24:13-14; Acts 1:8 to proclaim the good news (gospel) of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44-45) as the solution to mankind's problems.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.............There are 41,000+ denominations in Christianity. That fact alone shows that there have to be a lot of differences between them. But are there still communalities left? Has the claim to be a Christian any value any more?

As with a counterfeit bill one takes all the counterfeit bills and places each one against a real or genuine bill.
Thus, comparing all teachings against what Jesus taught shows the genuine from the false.
Church customs, church traditions stand apart from what Jesus taught though the many churches of Christendom teach their human ideas as being Scripture when Not really found in Scripture - Matthew 15:9

Heyo

Veteran Member
Usually the Nicene creed covers it all.

But look at your body, the differences in use and appearance... but the commonality is that you are still one body.
Your left eye and the cancer cells in your liver are of one body and the commonalities are your DNA and that both live in your body. The commonality between you and Kent Hovind is that you both live in Florida but I'm more interested in the DNA in this analogy.
@sun rise (and others) already questioned the creed. Is there something else, something more basic?

Heyo

Veteran Member
As with a counterfeit bill one takes all the counterfeit bills and places each one against a real or genuine bill.
Thus, comparing all teachings against what Jesus taught shows the genuine from the false.
Church customs, church traditions stand apart from what Jesus taught though the many churches of Christendom teach their human ideas as being Scripture when Not really found in Scripture - Matthew 15:9
Do I understand you correctly that you argue, unlike most other Christians here, against inclusivity? You would exclude many denominations who don't adhere to your interpretation of the Bible from Christianity?

PruePhillip

Correct, there isn't, its over 45000,
Quick Facts About Global Christianity - Center for the Study of Global Christianity
Now getting close to 50,000 and increase at around 5 new denominations per week.

There are also 200+ different versions of the bible in the English language, each is different, some considerably so. Who knows how many in other languages.

Yes there are a lot of denominations of Christianity in the world , i wonder why some people are so keen to deny it

It's a tactic of the skeptics to show 'the differences between Christian religions', and then when it comes to the bible - show how it's 'no different than other faiths.'

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why do all the non-religious claim there's 41,000 denominations of Christianity? There isn't. The people that count that number use every nation's religion as a different denomination. There isn't 200+ versions of Catholicism, there is one Catholic church. In reality there is probably only 400-500 different major Christian denominations.

But anyways, there is the Nicene Creed and the Apostle's Creed that most denominations swear allegiance to. Most swear by the Bible, and most of those denominations swear by the King James Version of the Bible, although this isn't always true. If you believe Christ is your lord and savior but don't attend church or read the Bible I would still consider yourself a Christian, even if a nominal one.

Christians believe Christ is God made flesh. That he's perfect. He is God incarnate. At least to trinitarian Christians. That's all that really matters to them.
Even 400-500 is a ridiculously high number for a religion that claims to have the truth. And it would be more accurate to say that there are thousands of sects since denominations is a larger group.

RestlessSoul

Pebbles on a beach are each and every one different, weight, size, shape.

Of course there is nowhere near 45000, it is extremely incomplete, notice the rider
"The following is not a complete list"​

There might be 100,000 pebbles, but each one of them is still a pebble on a beach.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Believing in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
I think all Christians agree on this.
He is the one that saves us.

RestlessSoul

So you are a "splitter", like @URAVIP2ME? Those who love each other are Christians and those who don't are not?

Ha, no, that's not how I read it. God is the father, we are all His children; thus every man and woman is my brother or sister, regardless of nationality, ethnicity or belief.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Because the application is ridiculous.

How many parts do you have of your body? So, because you have an eye, ear and a nose that look different, act different and have different purposes, are there no commonality? Is it still one body?

Those who work with "40,000 denominations" or whatever, are simply sheeples that baaaa the latest catch all. I should know, I use to do that! :)

The body is made up of thousands of parts, millions of cells, trillions of molecules. How many parts, do you have of Christianity. There are hundreds of major denominations and thousands of offshoots.

And i should know too, even on RF the are multiple denominations, many claiming a the others are wrong.