• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a Christian?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Guess slavery exists to this day then - military conscription, marriage, employment, school...

Military conscription is a paid job
Why do you think marriage is slavery?
Employment is paid.
School... Arguments for and against

Even real black market slavery exists

And you still said there was no slavery in Christian Rome.

PruePhillip

Military conscription is a paid job
Why do you think marriage is slavery?
Employment is paid.
School... Arguments for and against

Even real black market slavery exists

And you still said there was no slavery in Christian Rome.

Well lots feel marriage is slavery.
How did surfs live if they didn't get some sort of compensation for working someone elses land?
Maybe share farming is slavery?

Slavery is one person owning another.
It started being a real thing in Western societies after Europeans began living in non-European nations where slavery was normalized.
Fortunately the ruling nation of that time, Britain, sought fit to not only stop slavery but to aggressively fight it around the world. Hats off to them.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well lots feel marriage is slavery.
How did surfs live if they didn't get some sort of compensation for working someone elses land?
Maybe share farming is slavery?

Slavery is one person owning another.
It started being a real thing in Western societies after Europeans began living in non-European nations where slavery was normalized.
Fortunately the ruling nation of that time, Britain, sought fit to not only stop slavery but to aggressively fight it around the world. Hats off to them.

And still you made a claim that patently isn't factual.

PruePhillip

And still you made a claim that patently isn't factual.

Right, and serfs were owned.

This just now on Facebook.
Seems slavery is still with us and Christianity must be condemned.

317516887_10160189822465482_6056128166610242790_n.jpg

Dogknox20

What are, in your opinion, the defining characteristics of a Christian?

There are 41,000+ denominations in Christianity. That fact alone shows that there have to be a lot of differences between them. But are there still communalities left? Has the claim to be a Christian any value any more?
Being an atheist answers exactly one question and nothing more. Does being a Christian tell me more?
Hello Heyo... Good to meet you!

A Christian is a "Follower of Christ"!

They Believe in One God!
They Believe a triune God.... (One God three Persons!)
They believe "Jesus is God"!
They believe "God became Man in Jesus" (Incarnate)!
They believe Jesus rose (Resurrected) from the dead!
They believe Jesus established a Church (His Body)!
They believe Jesus will come again at the end of the world; as a Judge!
They believe Baptism ADDS people to the Body of Jesus!
They believe all "In Jesus" are God' Children!
They believe The Anti-Christ will attack Christian beliefs!
They believe many Anti-Christs will come along!
They use the "symbol of the Cross" because it was by the Cross man was saved from death!
They believe today God has taken the form of Bread and Wine!
etc

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Man WAS created to RULE… it says so in the Scriptures.
Man was created to RULE OVER CREATION… but not Heaven.
Man is human, physical, mortal…. The human was made to rule over the physical and mortal world.
God is SPIRIT and rules over the SPIRIT world.
Man is the physical image of God - a restricted miniature version - a Spirit encased in ability-limiting FLESH. A man is restricted to the LAWS of physics within which the world was made. There are laws we can break but like a child with a toy, we are not yet able to understand the bounds of those laws and so at this time we are rightly limited to SAFE ABILITIES. If us obvious that there are greater things man can do BUT THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS things and are not SAFE for man to uncover without destroying himself and the created world - and God will not permit that to occur
But, yes, RULE OVER CREATION but NOT independent from God - God who set the bounds of what man can do in the created world.

Jeremiah 10:23.....it is NOT in MAN .... to direct his step.
Psalms 17:5 Hold up my goings......that my footsteps slip not.
Psalms 23:3 ....He leads me in the paths of righteousness......
Psalms 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD (YHWH)......
Proverbs 16:3 Commit your works to the LORD (YHWH) and your plans will be establlished/succeed.
Proverbs 20:24 Man's goings (footsteps) are of the LORD (YHWH) how can a man understand his own way?

So, yes it is God who sets the bounds of what man can do in the 'created world' ( Heaven and Earth )
Those who will rule (govern) from Heaven have two (2) jobs to do as per Revelation 5:9-10
They will govern from Heaven over Earth with Jesus for a thousand years. Revelation 20:6
* They will serve mankind living on Earth as kings taking care of governmental responsibilities.
* They will serve mankind living on Earth as priests taking care of spiritual duties towards people on Earth.

Muffled

Jesus in me

There are 41,000+ denominations in Christianity. That fact alone shows that there have to be a lot of differences between them. But are there still communalities left? Has the claim to be a Christian any value any more?
Being an atheist answers exactly one question and nothing more. Does being a Christian tell me more?

Technically I believe it is believing that Jesus is the Messiah. Actual Christians don't call themselves that, the call themselves Followers of the Way and only those who believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior fall into that category. There are imitators of the Way but that is what they are imitators.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It's a good question. One thing to keep in mind is that Catholics are also considered Christians, and some of their beliefs are quite a bit different than Protestants, in my opinion.

I believe I would classify them in general Christians and imitators of the Way but not Followers of the Way.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Bible defines who is a Christian. Matt 7:16-27 which includes this

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

I believe the word Christian is not in that text so that is someone's attribution.

Acts 11:26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I believe the word Christian is not in that text so that is someone's attribution.

Acts 11:26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians.
" Acts 11:26 "

So, " Acts 11:26" confirms that (Jesus) Yeshua*- the Israelite Messiah did not name his followers as " Christians", were Hellenist-Paul's followers named as " Christians" first time in Antioch not before, as is evident , please? Right?

Regards

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

So, " Acts 11:26" confirms that (Jesus) Yeshua*- the Israelite Messiah did not name his followers as " Christians", were Hellenist-Paul's followers named as " Christians" first time in Antioch not before, as is evident , please? Right?

Regards

Originally a Christian meant a disciple of Jesus.

And finding him, he brought him to Antioch. And it happened that many of them were gathered to them in the church a whole year. And they taught a considerable crowd. And the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch.
Acts 11:26

And a disciple of Jesus is a person who remains in word of Jesus, which I understand means, is loyal to the teachings of Jesus and don't replace them with own doctrines.

Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in Him, If you continue in My Word, you are truly My disciples. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
John 8:31-32

With that definition, there can be only one group of Christians and those who don't remain in word of Jesus are something else.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hello Heyo... Good to meet you!

A Christian is a "Follower of Christ"!

They Believe in One God!
They Believe a triune God.... (One God three Persons!)
They believe "Jesus is God"!
They believe "God became Man in Jesus" (Incarnate)!
They believe Jesus rose (Resurrected) from the dead!
They believe Jesus established a Church (His Body)!
They believe Jesus will come again at the end of the world; as a Judge!
They believe Baptism ADDS people to the Body of Jesus!
They believe all "In Jesus" are God' Children!
They believe The Anti-Christ will attack Christian beliefs!
They believe many Anti-Christs will come along!
They use the "symbol of the Cross" because it was by the Cross man was saved from death!
They believe today God has taken the form of Bread and Wine!
etc
A litany of things to believe was the reason I didn't become baptized after baptismal classes. I was baptized later when I found out all I needed to do was make a statement of faith. I don't believe in putting stumbling blocks for people to trip over. If a person has repented sin and received Jesus, that should be enough and then encourage the person to learn more.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Regards

Muffled

Jesus in me
Originally a Christian meant a disciple of Jesus.

And finding him, he brought him to Antioch. And it happened that many of them were gathered to them in the church a whole year. And they taught a considerable crowd. And the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch.
Acts 11:26

And a disciple of Jesus is a person who remains in word of Jesus, which I understand means, is loyal to the teachings of Jesus and don't replace them with own doctrines.

Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in Him, If you continue in My Word, you are truly My disciples. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
John 8:31-32

With that definition, there can be only one group of Christians and those who don't remain in word of Jesus are something else.
I believe Jesus is the living word and not just a word in a book.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Who determines what those teachings are? You?

And what about the teachings of Paul? Do you throw those out?