• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What make us like music?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The list of previous members is quite incredible.
Yeah - I suppose the acoustic line-up was just not a selling proposition for the group to continue as such - but is why I so like this album. And I haven't looked into much of their other stuff. Much the same goes for Zero She Flies by Al Stewart, which I love, and Once Again by BJH. Perhaps just albums around when I was more into this than much else. :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Glad to see opera is an outlier!
Did you see Bill Bailey on BBC1 yesterday - smile on my face all the time, since he's just so talented? Florence H, singing a bit from Carmen, and where that is possibly the only opera CD I have - but could get into more apart from the language barriers. Carmina Burana is basically an opera, and how could one not love this? :speakerthree: :musicnotes:

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Did you see Bill bailey on BBC1 yesterday - smile on my face all the time, since he's just so talented? Florence H, singing a bit from Carmen, and where that is possibly the only opera CD I have - but could get into more apart from the language barriers. Carmina Burana is basically an opera, and how could one not love this? :speakerthree: :musicnotes:
No, I didn't. Carmina is epic at the beginning but I don't reckon much to the full work.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is probably a way to big issue to really cover in one post.

But as everyone knows there is a lot of different types of music out there, but what makes one prefer one type of music over something else and even despise other types, even within the same genre?

I don't really have a specific music taste, if I should say it myself, meaning I can listen to everything from classical music, no stress music to loud heavy and everything in between.

However I don't like all types of heavy or every type of classical music.

But how does that work? Because I can understand it with food, certain flavors, textures, smells etc. can really turn us off, to the point where we wont eat or barely touch something.

But music is just vibrations in the air, which have a rhythm or beat, but besides our ears just picking up the sound, something in the brain must react to something in specific songs and not others, which I guess we have no control over?

So looking at number of views on some songs on youtube:

Baby shark - 9.275.944.857 views

Obviously this is bad, yet children (assumingly) love it.

Luis Fonsi - Despacito ft. Daddy Yankee - 7.525.362.572 views

The last one is one of the most played songs, if not the most played one on youtube, besides Baby shark.

Clearly something in these songs is right and speaks to people. Does anyone know, something about this? Because to me, its must be a combination of the rhythm and obviously the singer(s), but why our brain prefer these songs over some other random song, I don't really get? Because clearly Baby shark is not good when it comes to the text or performed by, lets be honest good singers, its pretty awful...... Better listen to it one more time to be sure, Baby shark dododoh... :D
I think its all on how you associate music with personal memories and fantasy.