• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What make us like music?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
The following link is currently free to read and summarizes findings from fairly recent long term studies of brain development differeces between musicians and non musicians as well as musical students with one year or more of trainimg.
Code:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5619060/

Temporal novelty detection improves in the hippocampus. To me this means that the brain develops to better represent sound. You can think of music as a stress, and the brain builds up to better respond to it. Along with this come some benefits including pleasure, an increased interest in music and an enhanced ability to appreciate more kinds of music.

There have also been other studies. One decades ago I heard of found that music stimulates neurons in geometric patterns somewhere at the back of tje brain. I cannot currently recall where I read that, however it potentially explains how brains distinguish music from noise.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is probably a way to big issue to really cover in one post.

But as everyone knows there is a lot of different types of music out there, but what makes one prefer one type of music over something else and even despise other types, even within the same genre?

I don't really have a specific music taste, if I should say it myself, meaning I can listen to everything from classical music, no stress music to loud heavy and everything in between.

However I don't like all types of heavy or every type of classical music.

But how does that work? Because I can understand it with food, certain flavors, textures, smells etc. can really turn us off, to the point where we wont eat or barely touch something.

But music is just vibrations in the air, which have a rhythm or beat, but besides our ears just picking up the sound, something in the brain must react to something in specific songs and not others, which I guess we have no control over?

So looking at number of views on some songs on youtube:

Baby shark - 9.275.944.857 views

Obviously this is bad, yet children (assumingly) love it.

Luis Fonsi - Despacito ft. Daddy Yankee - 7.525.362.572 views

The last one is one of the most played songs, if not the most played one on youtube, besides Baby shark.

Clearly something in these songs is right and speaks to people. Does anyone know, something about this? Because to me, its must be a combination of the rhythm and obviously the singer(s), but why our brain prefer these songs over some other random song, I don't really get? Because clearly Baby shark is not good when it comes to the text or performed by, lets be honest good singers, its pretty awful...... Better listen to it one more time to be sure, Baby shark dododoh... :D

I wonder if it has something to do with brainwaves. Supposedly our brain waves and sync up with sound vibrations.
Or it may be related to memory and pattern recognition which cause a released of chemicals in the brain like adrenalin and dopamine.

Nimos

I wonder if it has something to do with brainwaves. Supposedly our brain waves and sync up with sound vibrations.
Or it may be related to memory and pattern recognition which cause a released of chemicals in the brain like adrenalin and dopamine.
Yeah maybe, but its not enough that its just sound vibrations, because someone screaming is really annoying, like a baby for instance, but yet you can have songs where the singer is screaming in the microphone and people love it. So maybe music need to have an "Intro" then the "Expected", which could be the singer screaming and maybe an "Out" for us to register it as music rather than something annoying.

By coincident I was just listening to Queen "Under pressure" which serves as a good example.

If you start listening at 2.15 and around 2.22 he screams, which again sound awesome, but had it just been him screaming without, it would have been annoying.

Maybe that makes our brain able to combine it into something that we like rather than something we hate.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yeah maybe, but its not enough that its just sound vibrations, because someone screaming is really annoying, like a baby for instance, but yet you can have songs where the singer is screaming in the microphone and people love it. So maybe music need to have an "Intro" then the "Expected", which could be the singer screaming and maybe an "Out" for us to register it as music rather than something annoying.

By coincident I was just listening to Queen "Under pressure" which serves as a good example.

If you start listening at 2.15 and around 2.22 he screams, which again sound awesome, but had it just been him screaming without, it would have been annoying.

Maybe that makes our brain able to combine it into something that we like rather than something we hate.

I've always liked Nights in White Satin.
Lyrics
Melody
Rhythm

Also on the first album I ever bought. Lots of meaning and memories associated with it.

Nimos

I've always liked Nights in White Satin.
Lyrics
Melody
Rhythm

Also on the first album I ever bought. Lots of meaning and memories associated with it.

Yeah that is a great song. Even though its different, this song also hold a lot of meaning I think.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I assume the latter. Don't know though.

Deidre

Until I’m able to grow wings, music will carry me away, letting me escape into a new world of my choosing.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This is probably a way to big issue to really cover in one post.

But as everyone knows there is a lot of different types of music out there, but what makes one prefer one type of music over something else and even despise other types, even within the same genre?

I don't really have a specific music taste, if I should say it myself, meaning I can listen to everything from classical music, no stress music to loud heavy and everything in between.

However I don't like all types of heavy or every type of classical music.

But how does that work? Because I can understand it with food, certain flavors, textures, smells etc. can really turn us off, to the point where we wont eat or barely touch something.

But music is just vibrations in the air, which have a rhythm or beat, but besides our ears just picking up the sound, something in the brain must react to something in specific songs and not others, which I guess we have no control over?

So looking at number of views on some songs on youtube:

Baby shark - 9.275.944.857 views

Obviously this is bad, yet children (assumingly) love it.

Luis Fonsi - Despacito ft. Daddy Yankee - 7.525.362.572 views

The last one is one of the most played songs, if not the most played one on youtube, besides Baby shark.

Clearly something in these songs is right and speaks to people. Does anyone know, something about this? Because to me, its must be a combination of the rhythm and obviously the singer(s), but why our brain prefer these songs over some other random song, I don't really get? Because clearly Baby shark is not good when it comes to the text or performed by, lets be honest good singers, its pretty awful...... Better listen to it one more time to be sure, Baby shark dododoh... :D

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/science-choice/202104/why-is-music-so-pleasurable

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I suppose the musicologist and psychologist perspectives would be different again. Cultural differences are certainly a factor. As to notions such a predictability and consonance, personally I'm attracted to music with quite a lot of unpredictability as well as dissonance. Clearly, other individuals would not find enjoyment in such music.

So you like dubstep?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm sure that our personality might be involved in what music we find so enjoyable over others that just don't click, and where the latter for me often just fade into mush even as I know so many others enjoy that particular genre - I'll not get into that. :D But so many just don't even seem to want to explore the range of music available, the envelope if one can call it thus, and where they might find music that they would actually enjoy just as much or more than what they usually listen to. And finding music is so much easier these days than it ever was even if a time-consuming task perhaps. :oops:

musical-genre-map.jpg

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The real answer is already pre owned thought by the humans not actually writing posts for questions.

Are owning pre owned beliefs about music. Never share on public forums what motivates their belief just a sn igger in their own community

As the subject of intent has secret purposes relating to music not shared for public scrutiny. So I wonder why they bother as they don't want our answers anyway.

As the church building was once using healing music it was inside the church and it was bible written. So maybe you think God is doing it instead of it once being a medical practice thought to assist the cells by imposing vibration by building structure.

Therapy is just therapy.

Gas mass owns its own vibrations doesnt sing.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm sure that our personality might be involved in what music we find so enjoyable over others that just don't click, and where the latter for me often just fade into mush even as I know so many others enjoy that particular genre - I'll not get into that. :D But so many just don't even seem to want to explore the range of music available, the envelope if one can call it thus, and where they might find music that they would actually enjoy just as much or more than what they usually listen to. And finding music is so much easier these days than it ever was even if a time-consuming task perhaps. :oops:

View attachment 55296
Glad to see opera is an outlier!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Glad to see opera is an outlier!
Shame that Classical is even further out though, and apparently sliding off the map. :oops: I wonder what axes one could put to this graphic and where the centre of gravity might lie. And there are no doubt much better graphics out there but I didn't find them. I see the religious will not find much here, apart from Christian Punk perhaps, or Soul Music covering the whole spectrum of beliefs. :oops:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Shame that Classical is even further out though, and apparently sliding off the map. :oops: I wonder what axes one could put to this graphic and where the centre of gravity might lie. And there are no doubt much better graphics out there but I didn't find them. I see the religious will not find much here, apart from Christian Punk perhaps, or Soul Music covering the whole spectrum of beliefs. :oops:
I think such maps can be fun to look at but it's not exactly scientific is it! What about artists that mix up genres? Classical is mostly another world from all the popular genres mapped out here. You could create a decent "map" with all the different facets of clasical (or art music as I prefer to call it). We could start with stochastic...:)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think such maps can be fun to look at but it's not exactly scientific is it! What about artists that mix up genres? Classical is mostly another world from all the popular genres mapped out here. You could create a decent "map" with all the different facets of clasical (or art music as I prefer to call it). We could start with stochastic...:)
As if it isn't complicated enough as it is. :oops: I fear I'd go into a deep depression if I had to listen to most of this lot as depicted. :D