• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What make a person an expert?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What is the criteria for being able to call one self an expert on a subject?

Example: just because I work as an Artist does not make me an expert on painting or even the tools i use.
Still learning something new every day:)

So what is an expert?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Example: just because I work as an Artist does not make me an expert on painting or even the tools i use.

So what is an expert?

There's no dogmatic rule set in stone. But in general I would think it would involve some combination of:

- extensive education in the relevant field (graduate degree or higher)
- Published peer-reviewed research on the topic
- many years of successful professional work in the subject area
- Awards, professional accolades, etc. from peers in the field for one's work in the subject area.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

So what is an expert?
I suppose it's dependent on overall recognition, and not independently self proclaimed.

Still, even experts have their faults. There are some pretty stupid experts and some bright laymen out there.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

So what is an expert?
A lot of experience I suppose. I think doing something for your living for 10 years would make you an expert at that thing, generally, but it's kinda arbitrary.

InvestigateTruth

So what is an expert?
It is really a man-made term, to identify someone as knowledgeable about a subject.
It means, when a person is educated in a field, and have worked practically in a field for many years, has acquired detail knowledge about the subject. By no means It means he|she knows everything about it. But knows the subject well, so you can rely on his expertise.

InvestigateTruth

A lot of experience I suppose. I think doing something for your living for 10 years would make you an expert at that thing, generally, but it's kinda arbitrary.
Yes, in some fields 10 years is good enough. But for example in Engineering, often it takes 20 years. Well, depends on the person, and how much he was exposed to different details about his profession.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

So what is an expert?

I suppose it would depend on the field one might be an expert in. I guess an expert on art might have some sort of degree and be well-versed on the artistic movements and the famous painters throughout history. They might be art critics or art appraisers, but not necessarily artists themselves (although they could be).

It might be similar with experts on music. I suppose there might be a distinction an expert on music as opposed to an expert musician.