• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Languages Do You Know?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have found that people from a country that sees itself as "great" are less likely to speak multiple languages whereas people from "small" countries are often trilingual. Dutch and Danish people at least understand English and German additional to their native language, most speak them well. The French speak either English or German (but don't you dare to assume they do when visiting France, at least try your French first). Brits and US Americans are unlikely to speak anything else but their local language (which often isn't recognizable as English).

That is true of Brazil as well. Brazilians rarely realize how culturally distant we are from the USA, nor how useful learning languages other than native Portuguese and English can be. I get the sense that most of us have not even noticed that Spanish is a more influential, globally useful and valued language than Portuguese (which is a fairly obvious fact, and becoming more so by the day).

We are very self-important.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Mainly English but with some understanding of French, given that I have travelled several times to France alone or with friends - cycling or when mountaineering or just travelling through - and I'm not so arrogant as to expect all others to speak English. :oops:

But it could have been even better if I had not had to drop French for Science prior to GCEs, and where I rather enjoyed the language and would probably have passed the exam - which is not what happened with Science. :oops:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I know Arabic and English (as a second language). I'm hoping to learn at least one more language at some point.

What about you?
Really, I only speak English well. I can read in French and Italian, very slowly and with a dictionary to assist, but find my pronunciation so execrable that I won't even try to speak them. I can read enough Latin to enjoy many hours touring the great cathedrals of Europe, and reading the history on the walls and tombs, as well as in art galleries.

I studied ancient Greek, and was getting along well, but it's been so long I'd practically have to start again (though I can read many signs in Toronto's Greektown on the Danforth).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I can muddle through Italian and Spanish conversationally. I can curse in Italian and Spanish particularly well. I can also curse in Russian, Greek and Hindi. In fact I called someone the Hindi curse word on the internet (Facebook or Quora, I don’t remember). Another Hindi-speaker was quite impressed that a “white boy” could curse so well. :D I can construct some things in Sanskrit. For example, “tvameva mala” meaning “you’re really (a piece of) ****”. However, pronunciation in Sanskrit is extremely important. If I said “tvameva maalaa” I would be calling the person a flower garland. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I know Arabic and English (as a second language). I'm hoping to learn at least one more language at some point.

What about you?
I think I know English. Language was influenced so much by locality. Those living near borders were far more likely to know another language: that of their neighbour.