• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Languages Do You Know?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well, I did go to a large public school.
Although it was only an Ameristanian school.

Hmm....
Perhaps you should be praising me for doing
so well with such a debilitating handicap, eh.

I posted that In Canuckistanian. Did you understand?

I am praising you hence the "clever of you"

Heyo

Veteran Member
I know Arabic and English (as a second language). I'm hoping to learn at least one more language at some point.

What about you?
I have found that people from a country that sees itself as "great" are less likely to speak multiple languages whereas people from "small" countries are often trilingual. Dutch and Danish people at least understand English and German additional to their native language, most speak them well. The French speak either English or German (but don't you dare to assume they do when visiting France, at least try your French first). Brits and US Americans are unlikely to speak anything else but their local language (which often isn't recognizable as English).

exchemist

Veteran Member
I know Arabic and English (as a second language). I'm hoping to learn at least one more language at some point.

What about you?
I have some rather poor, not fluent, French as well as English, which is my mother tongue. I can also remember a bit of Latin. But I've forgotten the bits of Gulf Arabic I used to know, I'm afraid. That's the trouble with languages: if you don't use them they evaporate.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Languages are my blind spot; despite trying I am hopeless at them.
I failed French O Level; I gave Latin up after a couple of years - although that did help my understanding of English.

My inability at French is best illustrated when I was trying to get 'Cash back' at a French supermarket. Cash back is common in UK, you buy your food and then say "Can you give me £20 cash-back too" and your bill is increased by £20 and you come out with that amount in notes.

I assumed that it happened in France, so I says the best I could muster in pigeon-French, "L'argent returnee". I was nearly arrested as they thought I was holding them up. Luckily there was an ex-pat in the queue behind me who sorted it and pointed me to the cash machines

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Languages are my blind spot; despite trying I am hopeless at them.
I failed French O Level; I gave Latin up after a couple of years - although that did help my understanding of English.

My inability at French is best illustrated when I was trying to get 'Cash back' at a French supermarket. Cash back is common in UK, you buy your food and then say "Can you give me £20 cash-back too" and your bill is increased by £20 and you come out with that amount in notes.

I assumed that it happened in France, so I says the best I could muster in pigeon-French, "L'argent returnee". I was nearly arrested as they thought I was holding them up. Luckily there was an ex-pat in the queue behind me who sorted it and pointed me to the cash machines

Some supermarkets did a trial run of cashback. It wasn't a success so was dropped after a few months.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Languages are my blind spot
Languages were my blind spot in school. I did bad in German and English and horrible in French. I only learned to appreciate natural languages after learning formal languages (programming). (And spell checkers help a lot.)

Wirey

Fartist
English, French, and German, although to be honest my French and German are so rusty I wouldn't trust myself to tell you the time in them these days.