• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kinds of service to others and to community are part of your way of life?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
What kinds of service to others and to community are part of your way of life, whether it's dharma, the way you practice your faith, or a non-religious way of life? What levels does it include, of family, neighborhood or village, city, region, country and world? Does it include any kinds of service for social justice reasons, for people in distress, or for a better community life or a better society for all people?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm currently active with an animal welfare group. I've been active with radical political and ecological movements. My carbon footprint is small.
I'm looking into establishing an Extinction Rebellion group in my city.

Reactions: Jim

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I mainly work in the food distribution to the needy area as well as the education area. I have never been comfortable with just going to services once a week as an observer and not a doer, and I'm the same way with sports as I like much more to participate than to watch. However, at 74, my "sports" activity is getting outside and walking 2-3 miles per day, rain or shine or snow.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’ve decided that when I ask questions like this, I need to give examples of what I’m asking about. Also, I want explain what my purpose is. I’m trying to learn what I can do to help bring out the best possibilities in Internet discussions. Some of the possibilities I see are in the ideas, encouragement and support we might get from each other for our community service offline. I think it would be good for me to know what kinds of community service people here are doing offline. There might be things that you’re doing that you never thought of as community service before, like what you do on your job.

Thinking about how I would answer that question, myself, the community service that I feel the best about is helping my wife with her English teaching, here in China. She’s retired now, but until last year she was teaching English to university students, and I’ve always helped her with things she does on her computer and on the Internet.

I’d like to know more about what kinds of community service other people here are doing offline.

NnamAries

I join my town's Help The Needy walks at the end of every three months, give alms whenever I can and try to recognize my privilege and be alert to how I can extend it to those who don't have.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Im involved with a cats protection society and the local version of help the aged and donated some land to the primary school where they now have a very productive mixed vegetable area that helps with school meals and they in turn donate the surplus to the elderly.