• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kind of instruments are best to use during ancestor worship

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So, if I'm at a bonfire making an offering and chanting, what kind of instruments do you find to be most spiritually conducive. Drums obviously...does it matter what kind of drum? What is the price and where does a person get one?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I agree, drums. They seem to always be god-awful expensive though. You could try making one, if you have the time, and the skill. I prefer to scour thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets looking for them. I'm on such a tight budget that the best I've got are two sets of bongos, one mini set and one less mini lap-sized set. They aren't the best for the job, but it's what I've got so far. I make due well enough.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Another thought; tambarines. Half drum, half rattle, mobile for use while dancing, and cheap.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
So, if I'm at a bonfire making an offering and chanting, what kind of instruments do you find to be most spiritually conducive. Drums obviously...does it matter what kind of drum? What is the price and where does a person get one?
In case you’re still interested, from what I’ve learned, North American spirits respond best to the drum, although you could use a rattle. I just found a 14” hand drum through Musicians Friend for about $55 or so. It’s called a “Comfort Sound Buffalo Drum” by Remo. Comes with a cheap beater. It’s a nice drum with a nice sound. Remo also makes Buffalo Drums in 8, 10, 12, 16 and I think a 22” size. I found the 14” to have the best resonant sound for my ear.

DanishCrow

Seeking Feeds
A rattle is indispensable for any spirit work, and is easily made: Purchase or grow a gourd of some kind, hollow and dry it out, throw in some gravel, stones, beads or even buckshot, fashion or find a handle, and glue the gourd so it the hole fits tightly to the handle. Anything goes, though: My first teachers favorite rattle was a kids musician rattle she bought at a yard sale.

I personally love my home-made drums, but there are a lot of good drum makers out there. As always, ask around and use your gut feeling.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
A rattle is indispensable for any spirit work, and is easily made: Purchase or grow a gourd of some kind, hollow and dry it out, throw in some gravel, stones, beads or even buckshot, fashion or find a handle, and glue the gourd so it the hole fits tightly to the handle. Anything goes, though: My first teachers favorite rattle was a kids musician rattle she bought at a yard sale.

I personally love my home-made drums, but there are a lot of good drum makers out there. As always, ask around and use your gut feeling.
Well, yes, because the rattle breaks up hoocha.