• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kind of a Hindu am I?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
There are so so many sects and schools of hinduism.
Out of the 6 vedantic schools, which one resonates most with all the following beings or most of them:
1. ATMAN and BRAHMAN are one and the same.
2. Purusha (cosmic consciousness) and Prakriti (energy) creates the cosmos.
3. The universe began from a single point.
4. Accepts Krishna/Narayana as the unmanifested Brahman and other Gods or Devas explain the different attributes of the same being; Krishna
5. Mainly based on the bhagavad gita
6. Believes that complete self realization brings Moksha after death.
7. Compassion and love are the two pain pillars.
8. All living beings within the cosmos are the same.
9. Infinite number of cosmos exists outside this
10. Rejects all forms of animal sacrifices.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think we (atma) are Brahman under the illusion of maya? What is self-realisation to you? Do you only follow the Bhagavad Gita?
Edit: Do you believe only Narayana/Lord Krishna is Brahman? You have some beef about Lord Rama, who is Lord Krishna's previous incarnation :L

Last edited:

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Out of the 6 vedantic schools, which one resonates most with all the following beings or most of them:
4. Accepts Krishna/Narayana as the unmanifested Brahman and other Gods or Devas explain the different attributes of the same being; Krishna

1 is definitely a theory of Adwaita School of Sankaracharya. 2-10...are accepted generally by all Vedanta schools (though 4 might be controversial).

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member

This is seriously not a judgment of the ways and means of devotees seeking Reunion, but truly, it's a complete mystery to me why any jiva who desires freedom from fetters of all kinds would want or need to repeatedly toss his mind in contemplation of and/or bind his intellect in subjugation to any one school of thought, sect or whatever label you want to put on the different baskets--Hindu, Hindu subsets or otherwise? The Truth within you recognizes Itself when you're "in touch" with It. It's really more simple than ya'll are making it out to be. Whatever practice suits you, which consistently makes you to go within to find what you seek, what we all seek, whatever practice (not religion, school of thought or sect) leads you to that, do it. OH! The bliss, the knowledge, the love you experience when you meet and greet His or Her Highness!

"OMG, it's YOU, my Lord!!" This is savikalpa samadhi. Supreme enjoyment, dvaita style.

And when That Beauty is done pretending it doesn't know Who It is, mergence occurs. This is nirvikalpa samadhi. Advaita Brahman.

Both are True. Work with this idea, keep seeking the unity at the core of things--even while acknowledging diversity appears to exist--and see if the waves in your mind don't start to subside. Don't forget that one of the goals of sadhana (whatever discipline you employ) is to quiet the mind to utter stillness, to the state of no-thought. Right? If you agree, how can incessant inquiry into differences (this is the inherent nature of mind, the behavior of which has to be curbed, not encouraged) help you achieve that?

In other words, why are you trying to resonate with a particular body of thought? Go within and resonate with your Self. Much less confusing, I assure you ;).

Subhankar Zac

Do you think we (atma) are Brahman under the illusion of maya? What is self-realisation to you? Do you only follow the Bhagavad Gita?
Edit: Do you believe only Narayana/Lord Krishna is Brahman? You have some beef about Lord Rama, who is Lord Krishna's previous incarnation :L

Yes I believe that the soul in under the material Maya.
Self realization means to understand that all living beings share one ATMAN which is indistinguishable and come face to face with the reality that cannot be understood by the senses.
Yes, only the Gita, no other.
Yes, I believe Narayana is Brahman n the original Purusha.
Lol. Yes I do have some beef about Rama n mainly Parasurama.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Self realization means to understand that all living beings share one ATMAN which is indistinguishable and come face to face with the reality that cannot be understood by the senses.
Yes but do you believe the atma is Brahman, who is under the influence of maya? As in Brahman is influenced by maya. Subhankar you should broaden yourself. Have you read any Hindu scripture other than the Gita?

Subhankar Zac

Yes but do you believe the atma is Brahman, who is under the influence of maya? As in Brahman is influenced by maya. Subhankar you should broaden yourself. Have you read any Hindu scripture other than the Gita?

No. The ATMAN inside the material body become unaware of the reality by illusion of Maya that make up the 5 senses.
ATMAN inside a living body is always under illusion the body is able to get self realization
Brahman is not under illusion but the fragments of Brahman within the body is.
I do not read any other scripture besides the Gita. None.
I study Ramayana n Mahabharata but as epics but more focus is on the gita.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
No. The ATMAN inside the material body become unaware of the reality by illusion of Maya that make up the 5 senses.
ATMAN inside a living body is always under illusion the body is able to get self realization
'Fragments'. So you believe the atma are slivers of Brahman? Like the fire and spark analogy i made in one of your threads?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Would you describe yourself as a monist, dualist or panentheist?

Subhankar Zac

'Fragments'. So you believe the atma are slivers of Brahman? Like the fire and spark analogy i made in one of your threads?

A heap of clay is spread out. Now all this clay will make 10 clay pots.
If the heap of clay is Brahman, the clay pots are ATMAN within the body.
Even though they are Brahman as well.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds like Vishishtadvaita and Achintya Bedha Abedha to me bud :D
Edit: ah, so so confusing. These philosophies believe the atman is Brahman, but different. I want to make a thread about this topic :confused:

Last edited:

Subhankar Zac

Sounds like Vishishtadvaita and Achintya Bedha Abedha to me bud :D
Edit: ah, so so confusing. These philosophies believe the atman is Brahman, but different. I want to make a thread about this topic :confused:

Vishi****advaita: any links where I cab know it in detail?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This is seriously not a judgment of the ways and means of devotees seeking Reunion, but truly, it's a complete mystery to me why any jiva who desires freedom from fetters of all kinds would want or need to repeatedly toss his mind in contemplation of and/or bind his intellect in subjugation to any one school of thought, sect or whatever label you want to put on the different baskets--Hindu, Hindu subsets or otherwise? ...

In other words, why are you trying to resonate with a particular body of thought? Go within and resonate with your Self. Much less confusing, I assure you ;).

Yep! Let's have a nice hot cup of Bhagavad Gītā 18.66. :)

सर्वधर्मान्परित्यज्य मामेकं शरणं व्रज |
अहं त्वां सर्वपापेभ्यो मोक्षयिष्यामि मा शुच: ||

sarva-dharmān parityajya mām ekaṁ śharaṇaṁ vraja
ahaṁ tvāṁ sarva-pāpebhyo mokṣhayiṣhyāmi mā śhuchaḥ

"Abandon all varieties of dharmas and simply surrender unto me alone. I shall liberate you from all sinful reactions; do not fear."

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I myself love much about Hinduism, but would never call myself one, why label and imprison yourself when the truth is ever flowing, you cannot stop the flowing and label it, it will go stagnat and stink.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

The next questions is: are those clay pots equal to Brahman or are they simply part of Brahman? Are they dependent on Brahman?
This is the difference between pantheism and panentheism.

Chakra

Premium Member
Wait...doesn't Krishna in the Gita literally say that he is Rama?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The overwhelming majority of Hindus are not tied to any particular sect and use teachings and modes of worship/yoga in an eclectic manner. So you don't have to belong to a sect to be a Hindu. Just be a Hindu and keep practicing, reading, learning, worshiping/meditating and experiencing. That works for most people.