• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What kind of a god would make a place like Hell/Hellfire?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The other day I burned my finger (only slightly, nothing serious) and I was spiraled down the rabbit hole of "what if" propelled by the idea that fire and burning is probably one of the few things that elicits an instantaneous reaction from our bodies. On contact, our bodies instantly recoil due to the instantaneous and lingering pain of a burn. That got me thinking, most human animals could not inflict that kind of lingering pain on others, aside from horrid things like Napalm used during conflicts, of course. Beyond that though, what kind of a being could stand by and watch some of its supposed creations writhing in pain for more than a few short moments - let alone, eternity?

Any thoughts justifying this would be appreciated.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Agree. It's a scare tactic that is common with cons and scams.

There's this phone scam going on, where someone calls and claim to be from Microsoft support. They tell you that they've hacked your computer and to prove it, they make you go through steps to show the "Computer License ID" (which is CLSID, that stands for ClassID, and not license at all, and it happens to be the same number of all Windows computers since Windows 95 or something). And they tell you, "Look, we hacked your computer! If you don't download this software, your computer will be taken over by evil hackers!!11!!" It's scare tactics to make you believe them, download their program, and ... ooops. Their program is the actual virus that locks your computer and now you have to pay thousands of dollars to unlock it. They got you.

Hell is just the scare tactics to make you believe in the invented solution.

David1967

Premium Member
The other day I burned my finger (only slightly, nothing serious) and I was spiraled down the rabbit hole of "what if" propelled by the idea that fire and burning is probably one of the few things that elicits an instantaneous reaction from our bodies. On contact, our bodies instantly recoil due to the instantaneous and lingering pain of a burn. That got me thinking, most human animals could not inflict that kind of lingering pain on others, aside from horrid things like Napalm used during conflicts, of course. Beyond that though, what kind of a being could stand by and watch some of its supposed creations writhing in pain for more than a few short moments - let alone, eternity?

Nope, Nothing I can think of to justify this.

Kueid

Avant-garde
Maybe is some kind of sterilization or purification. Or ate least made with this intent.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If god is all present, powerful, loving, etc then Id assume that hell cannot exist. If it did, where would it be? If everything and every place is in "the sight of god" and god cannot be in darkness, what and where can a place be thats absent from his presence?

The only hell I can think of, and I will find the scripture; its there, is separation from god. To any believer, Id assume that be worse than burns and pitch forks.

I guess associated with your burn (ouch), when a person sins their spirit "coils" away from god. Its instontaneous. That separation or sin between that persons spirit and god is the only other definition in addition to above I can think of.

If a practicing Jew can give perspective from the Torah and/or well versed christian from the bible can give perspective from it with commentary, that would be cool.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Besides, how would it work?

How can someone burn eternally? Is the flesh, skin, nerves, etc restored constantly while burning? I'm thinking of the physical/chemical process here. If all Hell is a burning furnace (like the sun), there are certain aspects of the physics to consider. But on the other hand, if we disregard physics and chemistry, wouldn't we have to abandon chemistry, biology, and such as well? So how would we feel pain in a hell that is only burning metaphorically? Too many questions, and the ancient authors did have the time or knowledge to explain them before science discovered how the world works... go figure.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member

Well, I can't speak for the eternity part. But for the few short moments: We do that all the time, when we bring our children to the doctor for a necessary surgery.
Righteousness is essentially the act of moving spiritually closer to G-d. If that is meant to be something enjoyable, than by definition moving in the opposite direction should evoke pain. The only reason that it doesn't is because G-d's mercy grants us the time to repent and avoid it until we die.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

He whom only make the rules , so if you don't respect him, you don't have the right to looking for his awards

I just imagine that you produce a robot , than that robot be a rebellion against your rules , and plus it's deny that it's structured/built by you !!!
it's you,ONLY you who had right to do it, whatever you want to it .

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
He whom only make the rules , so if you don't respect him, you don't have the right to looking for his awards

Thats not a self explanatory answer, though. Regardless if he is a authority and has rights to do whatever he wants...and regardless if he wants us to bow in his preseence like trained robots, what is behind the logic that would make a god create a hell or have it exist for people who arent willing to submit, fall into?

Its ironic and a catch 22. Its an ultimatum. What kind of god would create such an ultimatim that dictates the path of someones life for eternity?

According to Islam, if you dont submit to god, then you go to hell? What parent would do that to their child just because they dont love them anymore?

Being a parent is not a justifiable reason to punish anyone for not loving you.

How is that justified?

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member

Not the true God who inspired the holy Scriptures. Satan and those he controls are certainly capable of such torture. The inquisitions featured such evil acts. (Jeremiah 32:35)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Beyond that though, what kind of a being could stand by and watch some of its supposed creations writhing in pain for more than a few short moments - let alone, eternity?

You really find this so difficult to imagine? Interesting.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Thats not a self explanatory answer, though. Regardless if he is a authority and has rights to do whatever he wants...and regardless if he wants us to bow in his preseence like trained robots, what is behind the logic that would make a god create a hell or have it exist for people who arent willing to submit, fall into?

Its ironic and a catch 22. Its an ultimatum. What kind of god would create such an ultimatim that dictates the path of someones life for eternity?

According to Islam, if you dont submit to god, then you go to hell? What parent would do that to their chils just because they dont love them anymore?

Being a parent is not a justifiable reason to punish anyone for not loving you.

How is that justified?
Parent not like a Creator , we are not sons of God .

We are like cars to human being .

I just a post the exemple of "robot" ,and that robot being rebellion against the rules of human being , and deny also that human being creat it !!

You was not exist , and you will not exist soon ,God who creat you , He who will make you die , so it's His world and His rules , you had nothing to do for it.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Well, I can't speak for the eternity part. But for the few short moments: We do that all the time, when we bring our children to the doctor for a necessary surgery.

The problem with that analogy is that in surgery, the child's suffering is reduced by as much as is safe and possible. Further, any pain that is suffered is both temporary and a side-effect of a means to improving one's self. In Hell (as described in Christian & Muslim theology, at least) the pain is permanent, and only ever an end.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The problem with that analogy is that in surgery, the child's suffering is reduced by as much as is safe and possible. Further, any pain that is suffered is both temporary and a side-effect of a means to improving one's self. In Hell (as described in Christian & Muslim theology, at least) the pain is permanent, and only ever an end.
Which is why I said, "I can't speak for the eternity part". In Judaism, Hell is not permanent, but a place for refining the impurities of the soul before it moves to "Heaven".