• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Judaism means to me as a Roman Pagan

Sundance

Premium Member
Lately, I’ve been reflecting upon my limited understanding of Judaism and from the little that I do, I must confess that I’m quite enamored with the laws in their Torah. The concept of a comprehensive collection of moral and ethical injunctions is something quite admirable. (Indeed, we Roman Pagans do not possess this at all – excluding the teachings of various philosophical schools, and I suppose the Delphic Maxims.) I’ve come to understand that having such a collection is not a blessing from the god who gives it, but is also crucial for the cultivation of virtue, both individually and collectively.

Theologically, I’m not too sure that I can honestly object to too much. As for their monotheism, I can understand the concept, despite it’s fundamental difference from the polytheism that tends to characterize traditional Roman religion. There were philosophical thinkers who came quite close to it conceptually (Aristotle, Plato, Xenophanes of Colophon), and religion in Late Antiquity was characterized by a trend towards the unification of the deities of various cultures as names and forms of the Supreme God (albeit, not denying the existence of lesser divinities).
In addition, even were one to say, “I will devote myself to one god or goddess exclusively.”, this wasn’t an inconceivable thing at all. All that mattered is that one’s religion or choice of deity didn’t cause trouble for the Empire. Indeed, all of the aforementioned sentiments are mirrored in my own conception of the nature of the gods, in addition to my pantheistic convictions as a Stoic.

Regarding what I know of their history, I feel moved to tears, but yet, I become stirred to inspiration. They were Roman Pagans who destroyed the Jewish Temple. This is a cause of anger and embarrassment for me; it shouldn’t have occurred. Even in spite of this, Judaism had continued to grow and change from the ashes, and such was organic, not the product of attempting to recreate practices from millennia gone by, using rather scant sources, as my religion does.

(A bit of a silly fourth thing, but I’ve even considered using the Latin name “Urias” as part of my name change on the forums, meaning “G-d is my light.” I mean, what would I, again as a henotheistic Pagan, be doing with a name that honors the Jewish god, right? Why not a name honoring Apollo, or Hermes, or even Ra, an Egyptian god?)

My reflections on these aspects of the Jewish religion give me more curiosity to learn more about it on its own terms than I could have ever imagined.

Last edited:

Redemptionsong

Lately, I’ve been reflecting upon my limited understanding of Judaism and from the little that I do, I must confess that I’m quite enamored with the laws in their Torah. The concept of a comprehensive collection of moral and ethical injunctions is something quite admirable. (Indeed, we Roman Pagans do not possess this at all – excluding the teachings of various philosophical schools, and I suppose the Delphic Maxims.) I’ve come to understand that having such a collection is not a blessing from the god who gives it, but is also crucial for the cultivation of virtue, both individually and collectively.

Theologically, I’m not too sure that I can honestly object to too much. As for their monotheism, I can understand the concept, especially because it’s fundamentally different from the polytheism that tends to characterize traditional Roman religion. There were philosophical thinkers who came quite close to it conceptually (Aristotle, Plato, Xenophanes of Colophon), and religion in Late Antiquity was characterized by a trend towards the unification of the deities of various cultures as names and forms of the Supreme God (albeit, not denying the existence of lesser divinities).
In addition, even were one to say, “I will devote myself to one god or goddess exclusively.”, this wasn’t an inconceivable thing at all. All that mattered is that one’s religion or choice of deity didn’t cause trouble for the Empire. Indeed, all of the aforementioned sentiments are mirrored in my own conception of the nature of the gods.

Regarding what I know of their history, I feel moved to tears, but yet, I become stirred to inspiration. They were Roman Pagans who destroyed the Jewish Temple. This is a cause of anger and embarrassment for me. It shouldn’t have occurred. Even in spite of this, Judaism had continued to grow and change from the ashes, and such was organic, not the product of attempting to recreate practices from millennia gone by, using rather scant sources, as my religion does.

(A bit of a silly fourth thing, but I’ve even considered using the Latin name “Urias” as part of my name change on the forums, meaning “G-d is my light.” I mean, what would I, again as a henotheistic Pagan, be doing with a name that honors the Jewish god, right? Why not a name honoring Apollo, or Hermes or even Ra an Egyptian god?)

My reflections on these aspects of the Jewish religion give me more curiosity to learn more about it on its own terms than I could have ever imagined.
Have you sent a copy of this to Caesar Augustus?