• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What John 10:34 really means... Jesus isn't calling anyone, 'gods'.

Etritonakin

So, you aren't really disagreeing with the premise. There is inherent hypocrisy, here, and, no reason to assume these Pharisees didn't know their own texts.

What happens, though, is the correlation, between Psalms 82, and associated verses, if there. Psalms 82 and associated verses, does not mean that men, are being called gods. It is God, judging amongst the angels, or the gods of the nations, etc.
Men are specifically being called gods in the psalm which Christ quoted -and there is nothing wrong or blasphemous about it.
He quoted it because that is exactly what it says -and pointed out that calling himself the son of God is not very different.

The term "gods" -though also the word used for the most high -can also simply mean those with authority or dominion, etc.

However, the psalm does also specify "the children of" the most high -who will later be made like God in every way except position, office, etc., when made immortal and given a "glorious body"

The Anointed

Men are specifically being called gods in the psalm which Christ quoted -and there is nothing wrong or blasphemous about it.
He quoted it because that is exactly what it says -and pointed out that calling himself the son of God is not very different.

The term "gods" -though also the word used for the most high -can also simply mean those with authority or dominion, etc.

However, the psalm does also specify "the children of" the most high -who will later be made like God in every way except position, office, etc., when made immortal and given a "glorious body"

Correct! The man Jesus was merely A son of God right up until the day that he was baptized, when the spirit of the Anointed one, the Lesser JHWH, [The Son of God] descended upon him in the form of a dove as the heavenly voice was heard to say "You are my Son [My chosen heir and successor] THIS DAY I have begotten thee."

The man Jesus was born the Son of God, not by blood, nor by the will of the flesh, nor by the will of man, but by the Lord God our savior, who filled him with his spirit.

The Anointed

Correct! The man Jesus was merely A son of God right up until the day that he was baptized, when the spirit of the Anointed one, the Lesser JHWH, [The Son of God] descended upon him in the form of a dove as the heavenly voice was heard to say "You are my Son [My chosen heir and successor] THIS DAY I have begotten thee."

The man Jesus was born the Son of God, not by blood, nor by the will of the flesh, nor by the will of man, but by the Lord God our savior, who filled him with his spirit.

Etritonakin

Please do not say I am correct in saying something I did not say.
Though his baptism was part of the process of being begotten as the "firstborn of many brethren", he was the Word (who was with God and was God) who created all things before he became flesh. Though it is written that it took some time before he "knew himself" when flesh, he was still himself.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
And what make you think that God was talking to angels? Remembering Luke 20: 34-36; "Jesus replied, "The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God's children, since they are children of the resurrection.
A word correlation, there, wouldn't be 'like the angels', it would be, 'angels'.

Bad argument for verse correlation.

The Anointed

Please do not say I am correct in saying something I did not say.
Though his baptism was part of the process of being begotten as the "firstborn of many brethren", he was the Word (who was with God and was God) who created all things before he became flesh. Though it is written that it took some time before he "knew himself" when flesh, he was still himself.

And pray tell, who wrote that it took some time before he "knew himself" when flesh, he was still himself? You will not find that rubbish in the scriptures.
Sorry mate, but He was not the Logos/word, who is the divine reality of the universe the eternal spirit from which all being originates and to which all must return. You've been listening to that worthless shepherd that God raised up in the Land after he had abandoned the Jews, haven't you?.

The Anointed

Not according to the Bible.
Romans 9:6

Yes my dear friend, according to the Holy Scriptures.

Hebrew 5: 7-10; “In his life on earth Jesus made his prayers and requests with loud cries and tears to God who could save him from death. Because he was humble and devoted, God heard him. But even though he was A son of God, (Not God’s Son, or THE son of God, but A son of God, check it out in the Appendix of Strong’s Concordance, or The King James, Amplified, or The Revised Standard translations. all Israelites are sons of God according to God’s word, see Psalms 82: 6; ‘You are gods,’ I said; ‘all of you are sons of the Most High.’) he learned through suffering to be obedient, when he was made perfect (through his obedience, and could then be used as the host body through which our heavenly Father could then revealed himself, through the life, the miracles and the words that would be seen and heard through his obedient servant and earthy image, who did, nor spoke one word on his own authority other than that which he was commanded by the Lord our saviour.) The one who God had prepared for his heavenly anointed one, then became the source through whom salvation could be gained from our Lord God and saviour, who rose Jesus from death and will raise we, who are united to him also.

It was after he had learned through suffering to be obedient, that God declared him to be King and High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, with these words; "You are my son, today I have become your Father. Heb 5

Acts 3: 19; "Repent then, and turn to God, so that he will forgive your sins. If you do, times of spiritual strength will come from the Lord and he will send Jesus who is the Messiah that he has already chosen for you."

Now then, what was the scripture that you quoted to support your argument that Jesus was not an Israelite and therefore "A" son of God?

Oh yes, Romans 6 which reads; "It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."

And the Man Jesus was a descendant of Abraham through Isaac, who like Jesus, was also born according to the power of the Holy spirit.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes my dear friend, according to the Holy Scriptures.

Hebrew 5: 7-10; “In his life on earth Jesus made his prayers and requests with loud cries and tears to God who could save him from death. Because he was humble and devoted, God heard him. But even though he was A son of God,
(Not God’s Son, or THE son of God, but A son of God, check it out in the Appendix of Strong’s Concordance, or The King James, Amplified, or The Revised Standard translations. all Israelites are sons of God according to God’s word, see Psalms 82: 6; ‘You are gods,’ I said; ‘all of you are sons of the Most High.’)
"All Israelites" not Jesus.
he learned through suffering to be obedient, when he was made perfect (through his obedience, and could then be used as the host body through which our heavenly Father could then revealed himself, through the life, the miracles and the words that would be seen and heard through his obedient servant and earthy image, who did, nor spoke one word on his own authority other than that which he was commanded by the Lord our saviour.) The one who God had prepared for his heavenly anointed one, then became the source through whom salvation could be gained from our Lord God and saviour, who rose Jesus from death and will raise we, who are united to him also.

It was after he had learned through suffering to be obedient, that God declared him to be King and High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, with these words; "You are my son, today I have become your Father. Heb 5

Acts 3: 19; "Repent then, and turn to God, so that he will forgive your sins. If you do, times of spiritual strength will come from the Lord and he will send Jesus who is the Messiah that he has already chosen for you."

Now then, what was the scripture that you quoted to support your argument that Jesus was not an Israelite and therefore "A" son of God?

Oh yes, Romans 6 which reads; "It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."

And the Man Jesus was a descendant of Abraham through Isaac, who like Jesus, was also born according to the power of the Holy spirit.
Jesus is contradicting your argument, or Scripture? Clearly Jesus could not have meant, 'all Israelites', as Romans 9:6 contradicts that. Whether Jesus is an Israelite, another argument.

Etritonakin

And pray tell, who wrote that it took some time before he "knew himself" when flesh, he was still himself? You will not find that rubbish in the scriptures.
Sorry mate, but He was not the Logos/word, who is the divine reality of the universe the eternal spirit from which all being originates and to which all must return. You've been listening to that worthless shepherd that God raised up in the Land after he had abandoned the Jews, haven't you?.

Will look for the verse about knowing himself. It is suggested in some verses, but I do believe one verse states it -it has been a while since I studied the subject.

I don't understand your perspective. Are you saying you do not believe anything in the New Testament?
John 1 -and many other verses -make it very clear not only that Christ was the Word before becoming flesh, but that he was also Melchizedek and "I AM".

He has always gone forth from the Father to say and do what the Father willed.

The Anointed

Disciple of Jesus wrote...…. "All Israelites" not Jesus.

The Anointed...…. The angel told Mary that her son would be a descendant of King David, who was of the seed of Jacob who was renamed Israel by the Lord.

My Jesus is an Israelite, unlike the Jesus of your own imagination.

Disciple of Jesus wrote...…… Romans 9:6; Jesus is contradicting your argument, or Scripture? Clearly Jesus could not have meant, 'all Israelites', as Romans 9:6 contradicts that. Whether Jesus is an Israelite, another argument.

The Anointed...……. There is no argument in the scriptures as to whether or not Jesus, the promised seed of Abraham, through Isaac his son, is an Israelite.

Is your Jesus the promised seed of Abraham?

The Anointed

Will look for the verse about knowing himself. It is suggested in some verses, but I do believe one verse states it -it has been a while since I studied the subject.

I don't understand your perspective. Are you saying you do not believe anything in the New Testament?
John 1 -and many other verses -make it very clear not only that Christ was the Word before becoming flesh, but that he was also Melchizedek and "I AM".

He has always gone forth from the Father to say and do what the Father willed.

No he didn't. He was the man that JHWH spoke of to Moses. A prophet that in the future [Some two thousand years ago] he promised that he would choose from among the Israelites and put his WORDS into his mouth and would punish all who did not take heed of HIS WORDS that his chosen prophet would speak in his name.

It is you my friend who refuse to heed the WORDS of our Lord God and savior.

I believe everything in the NT, but not the erroneous interpretations of the Roman Church of Emperor Constantine, which God raised up in the Land after he had abandoned the Jews.

The Lord who revealed himself through his obedient servant Jesus, was paid the majestic wage of thirty pieces of silver by the Jews.

Zechariah 11:12-17; English Standard Version (ESV) And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD. Then I cut asunder mine other staff, even Bands, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel. And the LORD said unto me, Take unto thee yet the instruments of a foolish shepherd. For, lo, I will raise up a shepherd in the land, which shall not visit those that be cut off, neither shall seek the young one, nor heal that that is broken, nor feed that that standeth still: but he shall eat the flesh of the fat, and tear their claws in pieces. Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened.

Oh you shepherd of the darkness, who claim God sent you out
And even though we know that’s true, that fact I wouldn’t flout
For God commanded Zechariah, “Throw my wages ‘cross the floor,
Those thirty bits of silver, for I’ll guide this flock no more
A worthless shepherd now I’ll raise to guide this stubborn flock
And he will be a useless one, of him I’ll take no stock
For he’ll not feed my little ones, nor search for them that’s lost
But he eats the meat of the fattest sheep. And their hoofs? He tears them off
That worthless shepherd, he is doomed for abandoning my flock
His power, will I destroy by war, his arm will wither dry, then drop
And his right eye will I turn Blind, that’s why he’s never seen
The passage where I speak of him, Zechariah eleven—twelve to seventeen.

There is but one church, which claims to be the Universal church, the head of which church claims to be the shepherd of Gods people, who was raised up after the Lord, who revealed himself through his obedient earthly host body, ‘Jesus’ was paid the majestic wage of thirty pieces of silver, which was cast to the potter in the house of the Lord.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Hebrew 5: 7-10; “In his life on earth Jesus made his prayers and requests with loud cries and tears to God who could save him from death. Because he was humble and devoted, God heard him. But even though he was 'A' son of God, (Not God’s Son, or THE son of God, but A son of God, check it out in the Appendix of Strong’s Concordance, or The King James, Amplified, or The Revised Standard translations.
All Israelites are sons of God according to God’s word,
^

Jesus was talking to some Sadducees who rejected the teaching of the resurrection, but let me go back to my original statement: Hebrew 5: 7-10; “In his life on earth Jesus made his prayers and requests with loud cries and tears to God who could save him from death. Because he was humble and devoted, God heard him. But even though he was 'A' son of God, (Not God’s Son, or THE son of God, but A son of God, check it out in the Appendix of Strong’s Concordance, or The King James, Amplified, or The Revised Standard translations. All Israelites are sons of God according to God’s word, see Psalms 82: 6; ‘You are gods,’ I said; ‘all of you are sons of the Most High.’)

The man Jesus was an Israelite and like all Israelites he was (A) son of God.
^

The Anointed...…. The angel told Mary that her son would be a descendant of King David, who was of the seed of Jacob who was renamed Israel by the Lord.

My Jesus is an Israelite, unlike the Jesus of your own imagination.
This has nothing to do, with whether Jesus, is an Israelite.
The argument concerning "all Israelites", is wrong.

The Anointed

Is Jesus an Israelite descended through King David a descendant of Isaac the promised seed of Abraham? Or do you believe that he is not an Israelite descended through Isaac?

Etritonakin

No he didn't. He was the man that JHWH spoke of to Moses. A prophet that in the future [Some two thousand years ago] he promised that he would choose from among the Israelites and put his WORDS into his mouth and would punish all who did not take heed of HIS WORDS that his chosen prophet would speak in his name.

It is you my friend who refuse to heed the WORDS of our Lord God and savior.

I believe everything in the NT, but not the erroneous interpretations of the Roman Church of Emperor Constantine, which God raised up in the Land after he had abandoned the Jews.

The Lord who revealed himself through his obedient servant Jesus, was paid the majestic wage of thirty pieces of silver by the Jews.

Zechariah 11:12-17; English Standard Version (ESV) And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD. Then I cut asunder mine other staff, even Bands, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel. And the LORD said unto me, Take unto thee yet the instruments of a foolish shepherd. For, lo, I will raise up a shepherd in the land, which shall not visit those that be cut off, neither shall seek the young one, nor heal that that is broken, nor feed that that standeth still: but he shall eat the flesh of the fat, and tear their claws in pieces. Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened.

Oh you shepherd of the darkness, who claim God sent you out
And even though we know that’s true, that fact I wouldn’t flout
For God commanded Zechariah, “Throw my wages ‘cross the floor,
Those thirty bits of silver, for I’ll guide this flock no more
A worthless shepherd now I’ll raise to guide this stubborn flock
And he will be a useless one, of him I’ll take no stock
For he’ll not feed my little ones, nor search for them that’s lost
But he eats the meat of the fattest sheep. And their hoofs? He tears them off
That worthless shepherd, he is doomed for abandoning my flock
His power, will I destroy by war, his arm will wither dry, then drop
And his right eye will I turn Blind, that’s why he’s never seen
The passage where I speak of him, Zechariah eleven—twelve to seventeen.

There is but one church, which claims to be the Universal church, the head of which church claims to be the shepherd of Gods people, who was raised up after the Lord, who revealed himself through his obedient earthly host body, ‘Jesus’ was paid the majestic wage of thirty pieces of silver, which was cast to the potter in the house of the Lord.
I now have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Are you saying that you do not believe John 1 clearly explains that the Word who was with God (the Father) in the beginning and also was God ( not the Father, but who then became the begotten Son after his baptism -by who and for whom all things were made) became flesh as Christ?

It very clearly does.

Furthermore...I am not Catholic

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Is Jesus an Israelite descended through King David a descendant of Isaac the promised seed of Abraham? Or do you believe that he is not an Israelite descended through Isaac?
You wrote all Israelites, Romans 9:6 refuting your statement, has nothing to do with Jesus, being an Israelite.
Romans 9:8

In other words, 'all Israelites', is wrong.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Jesus cannot be telling the people, that He is talking to, that they are g-ds, or, even sons of g-d.

Romans 9:6-8

Tells you, that cannot be so.