• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What John 10:34 really means... Jesus isn't calling anyone, 'gods'.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
John 10:33
John 10:34
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
[KJV]

Jesus isn't calling anyone, 'gods', as many teach.
Jesus is showing, their hypocrisy, because, they didn't care, when they were 'called' 'gods'.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I read the whole chapter in the KJV. Why would you say what you say? Is there confusion?
Note that in
John 10:35
If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
[KJV]
Jesus says, if He called them gods...
"Them"...
In other words, there is a differential being made, between the people, that Jesus, is talking to, and, the quote of 'Ye are gods'.
Jesus didn't go on to explain, that they were gods, He refers to another instance, which doesn't include the people that He is talking to.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

Note that in
Jesus says, if He called them gods...
"Them"...
In other words, there is a differential being made, between the people, that Jesus, is talking to, and, the quote of 'Ye are gods'.
Jesus didn't go on to explain, that they were gods, He refers to another instance, which doesn't include the people that He is talking to.

One really needs to read it in context. Are you in doubt about the meaning?

Mormons believe that some can be Gods. I don't need that.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
One really needs to read it in context. Are you in doubt about the meaning?

Mormons believe that some can be Gods. I don't need that.
I believe that when read in the context in which it is, the meaning that I presented, does make the most sense, yes.
• and, personally, I am not in doubt, about, this.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
[KJV]

Jesus is showing, their hypocrisy, because, they didn't care, when they were 'called' 'gods'.

Let's see.....

John 10:31-36....NASB...."The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” 33 The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.” 34 Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Jesus was quoting Psalm 82:6 which reads...."I said, You are gods, ("elohiym" referring to human judges in Israel)
And all of you are sons of the Most High."

Jesus was saying that being called a "god" wasn't something exclusive to Jehovah....that "god" is not a name but a descriptive designation denoting someone with special qualities or divinely constituted authority. Jesus is rightly described as a "god" (theos) under that definition....but he is not THE God. (ho theos)

Do you see what he called himself? He said "I am the Son of God"....if the Jews were going to stone him for blasphemy anyway, here was his golden opportunity for him to declare to the world that he was God......but he didn't......he never claimed to be the Almighty...ever.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

Let's see.....

John 10:31-36....NASB...."The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” 33 The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.” 34 Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Jesus was quoting Psalm 82:6 which reads...."I said, You are gods,("elohiym" referring to human judges in Israel)
And all of you are sons of the Most High."

Jesus was saying that being called a "god" wasn't something exclusive to Jehovah....that "god" is not a name but a descriptive designation denoting someone with special qualities or divinely constituted authority. Jesus is rightly described as a "god" (theos) under that definition....but he is not THE God. (ho theos)

Do you see what he called himself? He said "I am the Son of God"....if the Jews were going to stone him for blasphemy anyway, here was his golden opportunity for him to declare to the world that he was God......but he didn't......he never claimed to be the Almighty...ever.

.he never claimed to be the Almighty...ever.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
.he never claimed to be the Almighty...ever.

Nope....
happy0170.gif

Earthling

David Henson
I believe that when read in the context in which it is, the meaning that I presented, does make the most sense, yes.
• and, personally, I am not in doubt, about, this.

Jesus was quoting Psalms 82:1, Psalms 82:6 where God calls the Judges of Israel gods. The word god simply means mighty or venerated. The Judges were gods in the sense that they were representing Jehovah, just as Jesus later would.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
[KJV]

You can think what you what to think, but the passages in Psalms refute you. :D

Psalms 82:6

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Jesus was quoting Psalms 82:1, Psalms 82:6 where God calls the Judges of Israel gods. The word god simply means mighty or venerated. The Judges were gods in the sense that they were representing Jehovah, just as Jesus later would.
When someone is talking, to you, do they refer to you as 'them'?

Do you interpret, 'them', as meaning, 'you'?

John 10:36

You might interpret these statements, as referring to the people, who Jesus is talking to, however, that isn't a direct interpretation, of what Jesus said.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
[KJV]

Contextually, one might interpret this, as Jesus affirming, that He is God, calling Himself God, however, this clearly, isn't Jesus, calling the people, that He was talking to, 'gods'.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

[KJV]

Let's look at this in John 10:34--"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, You are gods"

This meaning we belong to God.
We are God's creation. We belong to God.

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
How?

Jesus goes on to say, 'them', [referring to the people, in the passages, in Psalms.

Not, 'you'.

So, then, his point being, them, that is the Judges of Israel of old, were called gods so what was their, that is the religious leaders who were objecting to comparisons of mere mortals as gods, problem with him being compared to God as God's son.

John 10:31-39 - Once more the Jews lifted up stones to stone him. Jesus replied to them: “I displayed to you many fine works from the Father. For which of those works are you stoning me?” The Jews answered him: “We are stoning you, not for a fine work, but for blasphemy, even because you, although being a man, make yourself a god.” Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “You are gods”’? If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came, and yet the Scripture cannot be nullified, do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and dispatched into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, I am God’s Son? If I am not doing the works of my Father, do not believe me. But if I am doing them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, in order that you may come to know and may continue knowing that the Father is in union with me and I am in union with the Father.” Therefore they tried again to seize him; but he got out of their reach.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Let's look at this in John 10:34--"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, You are gods"

This meaning we belong to God.
We are God's creation. We belong to God.
Unless one doesn't. Correct? Do you believe that everyone, can be referred to as a 'god'? Or, belonging to 'god'? If one, belongs to Satan, do they belong to God? Can one choose, to not belong, to God?

Faithofchristian

Unless one doesn't. Correct? Do you believe that everyone, can be referred to as a 'god'? Or, belonging to 'god'? If one, belongs to Satan, do they belong to God? Can one choose, to not belong, to God?

Well first, Satan does not have the power of creation, only God has that power to create, therefore we belong to God

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well first, Satan does not have the power of creation, only God has that power to create, therefore we belong to God
In other words, your interpretation, is very general, in meaning. That's about as, general in meaning, as it gets.

Scripturally, one can belong to Satan. Can you belong to Satan, and God, at the same time?

In other words, your interpretation is so general, what does it even really mean. Or, what is the use of even saying it, in reference to anything.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

In other words, your interpretation, is very general, in meaning. That's about as, general in meaning, as it gets.

Scripturally, one can belong to Satan. Can you belong to Satan, and God, at the same time?

In other words, your interpretation is so general, what does it even really mean. Or, what is the use of even saying it, in reference to anything.

There's no interpretation to it.
It's very simply plain to see and obvious to see. What Christ Jesus is saying in
John 10:34--"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, You are gods"

Many people take this in reference as meaning, that we are a god, Nope Wrong,
Meaning we belong to God.

Nope not at all, there's no middle ground. it's either God or Satan. As Scripture points out.

Romans 6:16--"Know you not, that to whom you yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants you are to whom you obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness"

Therefore it's either God or its Satan, There's no middle ground.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There's no interpretation to it.
It's very simply plain to see and obvious to see. What Christ Jesus is saying.

Nope not at all, there's no middle ground. it's either God or Satan. As Scripture points out.

Romans 6:16--"Know you not, that to whom you yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants you are to whom you obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness"

Therefore it's either God or its Satan, There's no middle ground.
The problem, there, is that Jesus said the very same people, were of Satan.

So, is Jesus, contradicting Himself?