• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"What Jesus REALLY meant was ...."

John1.12

Free gift
That God had a Son in heaven that was coming down from heaven isn't in the OT either. Some can't even see the preexistent Son in the NT.

The Son of God was a revelation to mankind. But its difficult to teach religious people anything knew so they rejected Jesus.
Where are you getting your teachings from ? Do you have separate writing's apart from the bible that you follow ?

John1.12

Free gift
That God had a Son in heaven that was coming down from heaven isn't in the OT either. Some can't even see the preexistent Son in the NT.

The Son of God was a revelation to mankind. But its difficult to teach religious people anything knew so they rejected Jesus.
Jesus = Micheal is no where said in the bible. Should we not believe things that can easily be understood, by explicitly stated verses ? Isn't this a fair criteria ?

Colt

Jesus = Micheal is no where said in the bible. Should we not believe things that can easily be understood, by explicitly stated verses ? Isn't this a fair criteria ?
Yes, that's fair. But religion is different from history or science. Did you know that the Jews were not expecting a God-man to come down from heaven???? They had no concept of killing the Messiah and him returning to heaven for 2000+ years.

Colt

Where are you getting your teachings from ? Do you have separate writing's apart from the bible that you follow ?
1) Jesus gave the Jews a tongue lashing, a beat down for killing the prophets and setting out to kill him. That's in the Bible.

2), Yes, I have other sources of information but this issue isn't new. Jesus taught his Gospel for 3+ years. He also became awre that he was going to be rejected, so Jesus and the Father took another course of action.

John1.12

Free gift
1) Jesus gave the Jews a tongue lashing, a beat down for killing the prophets and setting out to kill him. That's in the Bible.

2), Yes, I have other sources of information but this issue isn't new. Jesus taught his Gospel for 3+ years. He also became awre that he was going to be rejected, so Jesus and the Father took another course of action.
//Yes, I have other sources of information// What is this ?

John1.12

Free gift
The Urantia Book
//The exact circumstances of the origin of The Urantia Book are unknown. The book and its publishers do not name a human author. Instead, it is written as if directly presented by numerous celestial beings appointed to the task of providing an "epochal" religious revelation. //

Gal 1
7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8But though we ,or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

1 John 4:1

“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.”

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In that sense you are very much like a fundamentalist Christian. You seem to a priori see all sorts of religious boundaries and differences. Interesting to see such a striking parallel. ;)
I have found, over the years, that the mo
This is a great point .
FYI, I know a Barry Johnson in real life. He is nothing like you, but it's interesting trivia. Pretty common names, but still.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In that sense you are very much like a fundamentalist Christian. You seem to a priori see all sorts of religious boundaries and differences. Interesting to see such a striking parallel. ;)

I have found over the years that some of the least tolerant folks are the ones that preach tolerance, because it's tolerance my way, and they jump at any other way than their own. True tolerance, in my view, respects differences, and choices.

Colt

//The exact circumstances of the origin of The Urantia Book are unknown. The book and its publishers do not name a human author. Instead, it is written as if directly presented by numerous celestial beings appointed to the task of providing an "epochal" religious revelation. //

Gal 1
7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8But though we ,or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

1 John 4:1

“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.”
Paul himself taught a different Gospel.

The UB emphasizes the original message that Jesus went to the Jews with. They were supposed to believe the Son. If the Jews had believed the message then they wouldn’t have killed the prophets and Jesus, they would be preaching from the 2nd temple today.

John1.12

Free gift
Paul himself taught a different Gospel.

The UB emphasizes the original message that Jesus went to the Jews with. They were supposed to believe the Son. If the Jews had believed the message then they wouldn’t have killed the prophets and Jesus, they would be preaching from the 2nd temple today.
Yes and God told Noah a different good news also . " build an Ark "

John1.12

Free gift
Eventually the original pre-cross Gospel will be preached to a world ready to receive it.
Matthew 24:14

“And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.”

Colt

Matthew 24:14

“And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.”
Correct, Paul’s atonement doctrine will die out. The Urantia revelation will guide the future.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The bible does . For instance .
Gal 1 .

6¶I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Paul was warning of an imminent "apostasia" or "falling away" from the truth. He was, you might say, fixated on this subject. You mentioned Galatians 1:6. Here are some more of his warnings:

Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition…

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears…

Paul made it absolutely clear that (1)the flock would not only be attacked, it would not be spared, (2) Christ would not return to the earth until this universal "falling away" or "apostasy" had taken place, (3) these things were already beginning to take place as he spoke, and (4) the doctrines taught by the Savior would, in time, cease to endure.

You have NOT answered my question. What are the "essentials" of Christianity?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
what we see in other religions and philosphies is a claim on Jesus . As a Christian we of course have our differences on certain verses and doctrines . But this is within christianity. We see the issue is down to our free will and different opinions and such . But imagine to our horror ,when we see other religions who make a claim on Jesus and what he taught and they have not the same world view . Its hard enough within the same worldview , But what we see is all these claims from ' outside ' and how radical theses claims are....

Mormonsim teaches Jesus went to America to preach to the natives.
And what if He did? If He chose to make a post-resurrection appearance to people in other parts of the world, how would that change the Christian message? If He believed that people outside the Holy Land were also entitled to hear His message, does that invalidate His life as it is recounted in the Bible?

We could name countless religions who have a claim on Jesus . Its always a different Jesus than the Jesus of the bible . Of course this shows he impacted the world and not Just in Jerusalem, but the whole world . But we have radically different claims on him .

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that you have missed the whole point of His message. He did not seek to have us try to discredit one another. He sought to show us the unconditional love He wanted us to have for one another. I'm not aware of any Jesus Christ than the one in the Bible. That's the one you claim to believe in. It's also the one I claim to believe in. That fact that we don't agree on how every verse in the New Testament is to be interpreted does not mean that we're worshipping two or three or ten or twenty "different Jesuses."