• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Jehovah's Witnesses got right.

blue taylor

No trinity. The idea of a "trinity" was not conceived until 100 years after Jesus. And disputed for another 200 years. It is still not universally accepted today. It was originally a Gnostic teaching.

Christmas. A pagan holiday (solstice) changed to the birthday of Jesus to sway pagans to the new religion of Rome.

Easter: The ecclesiastical historian Socrates Scholasticus attributes the observance of Easter by the church to the perpetuation of its custom, "just as many other customs have been established", stating that neither Jesus nor his Apostles enjoined the keeping of this or any other festival.

Tithing. Jewish practice of supporting the Pharisees and Sadducees. And we all know how Jesus felt about them.

No military service. "thou shall not kill". How much plainer can you get.

No cross. Constantine (worshipper of Sol) declared the cross a symbol of Roman Christianity, after a battle he won with much bloodshed. The previous symbol had been the fish.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All low hanging fruit for a cheap offering to peddle their stale version of Christianity against. So what. It doesn't make what they have to say worth anything at all.

blue taylor

All low hanging fruit for a cheap offering to peddle their stale version of Christianity against. So what. It doesn't make what they have to say worth anything at all.
If you look for the bad in people, you will always find it. A closed mind is an empty mind.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No trinity. The idea of a "trinity" was not conceived until 100 years after Jesus. And disputed for another 200 years. It is still not universally accepted today. It was originally a Gnostic teaching.

Christmas. A pagan holiday (solstice) changed to the birthday of Jesus to sway pagans to the new religion of Rome.

Easter: The ecclesiastical historian Socrates Scholasticus attributes the observance of Easter by the church to the perpetuation of its custom, "just as many other customs have been established", stating that neither Jesus nor his Apostles enjoined the keeping of this or any other festival.

Tithing. Jewish practice of supporting the Pharisees and Sadducees. And we all know how Jesus felt about them.

No cross. Constantine (worshipper of Sol) declared the cross a symbol of Roman Christianity, after a battle he won with much bloodshed. The previous symbol had been the fish.
I like it...but I wear a cross on a ring.
it tips off the observant to my disposition.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you look for the bad in people, you will always find it. A closed mind is an empty mind.
None of which fits the reality of what I am saying. I'm all too familiar with the sorts of claims such as you have offered. As the saying goes, it's been tried and found wanting. It may bring you comfort to assume things about where my more than legitimate criticism is coming from, but that's simply lying to yourself to not face the flimsy truth claims they erect their house of cards on. To each their own delusions. Erect the strawman of your dreams and knock it down, but that's not reality.

blue taylor

None of which fits the reality of what I am saying. I'm all too familiar with the sorts of claims such as you have offered. As the saying goes, it's been tried and found wanting. It may bring you comfort to assume things about where my more than legitimate criticism is coming from, but that's simply lying to yourself to not face the flimsy truth claims they erect their house of cards on. To each their own delusions. Erect the strawman of your dreams and knock it down, but that's not reality.
Reality is what you know it to be.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Reality is what you know it to be.
Of course. But if you're talking relativism here, that certainly is not going to support your claim that the JW's "got it right". :) What they have is in reality a very partial, and skewed interpretation of data, spun and woven into a cheap marketing scheme to promote themselves as having the truth and everyone else is wrong. That hardly fits with this, "Reality is what you know it to be" postmodern point of view. Sorry to burst your bubble of belief they've got a bead on truth here idea.

They are just one of many cults who point to the anti-RCC, "Two Babylons" literature to make themselves as somehow knowing truth because the Catholic Church adopted pagan practices. So what. To figure that out says nothing about themselves having a clue about anything. But it is a clever marketing ploy. If you can show how that product has a flaw, others will assume yours does not. :) You talk about a closed mind? I would rather question a gullible mind that doesn't look critically at truth claims.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As long as their Bible depicts righteous wars and capital punishment, the JW interpretation is going to be problematic.

Personally, I trust our Hebrew-speaking Jewish members when they say the phrase more accurately translates as "you shall not murder."

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I have to agree with @Windwalker. They USE these opinions so that they might stand out more righteous than others.
Why not take them all to their conclusions?
A person might be all that Jesus Christ approves but she won't give up Christmas. According to JW dogma what will happen to her? Also, I have heard of JWs who celebrate it. What will happen to them?
Easter. LOL. Even when I was not a JW but I had a child, I worried about that day. Did that make me more righteous than someone who loves to dress up in pink?
Tithing. Tithing means, "a tenth". JWs do not do that. But the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses DO beg money from their people. You would look silling denying it. There is much proof of it.
No military service. The truth is that to murder and to kill are not the same. Someone believing strongly that God says, you must not kill, should be a vegetarian. Why not?
To be making military service a criminal offence is to teach contrary to scripture.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You would think, on the surface, it would be that simple. However, it is not. If you follow their money you will clearly see they have investments in companies like Raytheon and Lockheed Martain, plus others.
https://www.watchtowerlies.com/linked/watchtower_investments_in_armament_companies.pdf
Investments in the stock market require trust in two things Jesus teaches us not to trust in. Money and the world.
Matthew 13:22
John 17:14

They teach that it is wrong to pick which wisdom to obey and which wisdom to ignore. But that is what they do. Whenever they wish to make their point with scripture they ignore every other scripture which proves them wrong.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

As to military service, there seems to be a disconnect with Goverment sanctioned killing.

Ask a jehovah witness if they support capital punishment while against military services.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK. Any JW want to answer that?
I think that JWs do not support any of the nations' business.
But they do support, advocate, and are in eager anticipation of the capital punishment which according to them will be coming by Jehovah.

blue taylor

No military service. The truth is that to murder and to kill are not the same
Murder and kill are the same. How can you go to war and kill people when Jesus said, "

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

" And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others?" This is the part JW's don't do.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Murder and kill are the same. How can you go to war and kill people when Jesus said, "

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

" And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others?" This is the part JW's don't do.
I do not want to fight. But WWII really was fought for the freedom of millions of Jews and others. If the world had not fought Hitler and allowed him to go on his killing spree how would that be love in your opinion?

blue taylor

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. We all know they got money. What organized religion does not. It's a business like any other. But it doesn't mean they don't have anything right.
You seem to take the stand of all or nothing. I have never met anyone who has said the JWs have nothing right. Have you?

blue taylor

I do not want to fight. But WWII really was fought for the freedom of millions of Jews and others. If the world had not fought Hitler and allowed him to go on his killing spree how would that be love in your opinion?
Just stating what Jesus said about the subject. But he also said this: “I came to pour out fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already ablaze!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@blue taylor I think I would really like an answer. If Hitler was not fought he would have continued doing what he was doing. War is complicated but I think some wars result in more love, not less.