• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What it would be like to have pride in my country?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I am watching a UFC event tonight and it is common to hear fighters talk about their country and are proud to be where they are from. I like to fantasize about what that would be like because my country (the US) is a real piece of ****. A place where the likes of Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Lauren Boebert get elected on purpose.

If I traveled abroad, I would lie about where I came from if asked. I do not see any justifiable reason to be proud of being from here. We have no identity, our politicians pander to the lowest common denominator, we terrorize nations from half a world away via drone strikes, we let legislation be bought by the highest bidder, we allow our school kids to get shot up multiple times a year, we watched as a pandemic ripped our population apart, we let our countrymen go into insurmountable debt for basic medical treatment, etc etc etc.

If I could, I could leave and never come back. This place sucks.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
You identify too much with politicians.
Life here is much better if you view
them as mere vermin.

I agree with @Quetzal , and I don't pay politicians a whole lot of mind.

I haven't been too impressed with much. I haven't enjoyed many of the people, and the food's largely awful.

Pretty place, though. I won't deny that.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What's worse is Germany. Haven't met a German I like yet.

(well except for one)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree with @Quetzal , and I don't pay politicians a whole lot of mind.

I haven't been too impressed with much. I haven't enjoyed many of the people, and the food's largely awful.

Pretty place, though. I won't deny that.
It has everything for me....great food, many great engine shows,
great housing, wonderful entertainment, fine weather, etc, etc.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think any place is really truly bad. Its just that every place isn't suited for every person...

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

I would like to burn our Constitution and write a much better one (the newish one in South Africa is an improvement, for example). And most politicians here are asses. But I too love living here - though probably would hate it if I was poor.

Quetzal

Premium Member
You identify too much with politicians.
Life here is much better if you view
them as mere vermin.
That may be true, but I believe that they are a direct reflection of the populace that elects them. There are people who still do not wear masks, scream about rights when an elementary school gets shot up, believe climate change is fake, want the confederacy to rise again, believe the best course of action is to violently storm our capital buildings, and so on. What is there to be proud of when you share a country with such ignorance and resentment?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That may be true, but I believe that they are a direct reflection of the populace that elects them. There are people who still do not wear masks, scream about rights when an elementary school gets shot up, believe climate change is fake, want the confederacy to rise again, believe the best course of action is to violently storm our capital buildings, and so on. What is there to be proud of when you share a country with such ignorance and resentment?
I think you've been infected with news...a particularly nasty strain.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That doesn't always work.
For example, @Shadow Wolf seemed to need
to immigrate to Kaliforniastan from Indianastan.

So you're suggesting moving regions, if you can?

Hubby is a southern transplant. He's never adjusted to Iowa soil. He'd like to go back, but says while her prefers southern culture, it simply isn't affordable.

Iowa influence has overall affected him pretty negatively.

Cooky

Veteran Member

So because there are variety types of people you don't like here, that means the whole place is no good?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I live it every single day, that is what it is like to live where I live.
Perhaps a move to an area that suits you better?
There are many places I wouldn't want to live.
I've even already lived in some. Now I've found home.

Quetzal

Premium Member
So because there are variety types of people you don't like here, that means the whole place is no good?
Correct, because it does not change the actions the country takes on a federal level. That cannot be changed by moving to another state as @Revoltingest suggested.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you're suggesting moving regions, if you can?

Hubby is a southern transplant. He's never adjusted to Iowa soil. He'd like to go back, but says while her prefers southern culture, it simply isn't affordable.

Iowa influence has overall affected him pretty negatively.
Any thoughts about how to his becoming happier with the location?