• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Isn't The Gospel?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I certainly see a lot of takes on what the Christian gospel is supposed to be, including mass attendance * obeying one's priest or pastor * following the Ten Commandments of Exodus 20 * loving neighbor as self * do the best you can * water baptism * Bible reading * nightly repentance and sorrow for sin * etc.

The gospel is "Jesus Christ died for others then rose from the dead. Eyewitnesses saw Him die and rise per Bible prophecies."

To respond to the gospel is to "Trust Christ". Anyone trusting Christ has salvation.

Do you have a different take or agree?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The Gospel is, This man Jesus lived and said and did some great things, and they deserve your attention, all rest is just religious dogma.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I certainly see a lot of takes on what the Christian gospel is supposed to be, including mass attendance * obeying one's priest or pastor * following the Ten Commandments of Exodus 20 * loving neighbor as self * do the best you can * water baptism * Bible reading * nightly repentance and sorrow for sin * etc.

The gospel is "Jesus Christ died for others then rose from the dead. Eyewitnesses saw Him die and rise per Bible prophecies."

To respond to the gospel is to "Trust Christ". Anyone trusting Christ has salvation.

To define the gospel requires understanding the people Jesus is speaking to in the gospels. Otherwise reading the gospels is like listening to one end of a telephone conversation. The gospel goes everywhere Jews live, because it is a message to them. Nobody else cares about the gospel until a later time. The gospel is quite challenging to Jews, because it calls upon them to live as if the messiah has come in a world where that does not appear to be true. Some do it. They embrace the entire world as family, taking many face slaps in the process. They begin a huge welfare system in the middle of the Roman empire, taking in orphans no one wants and rearing them. They begin food programs. They give to everyone who has a need. They educate. The reaction is astounding, and gentiles join the movement and believe in it in astonishing numbers. The gospel is "The Kingdom of God is here."

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
In my opinion:

The Good News (G2097/G2098) according to Yeshua in the Synoptic Gospels is the coming of the Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 24:14 ).

Which is thus a living gospel, where those that work towards the coming of the Kingdom of Heaven, shall receive inheritance (Mark 8:35, Mark 10:29-30).

Within Paul's and Simon the stone's dead gospel ideology, it is that jesus becomes your lord and savior who died for you.

In my opinion. :innocent:

pearl

This is the basic truth of the Gospels, there a few things I would state differently. There were no eyewitnesses to the Resurrection itself and it was God who raised Jesus, vindicating him.

following the Ten Commandments of Exodus 20

Catholic Christians follow the Decalogue in Deut.

Basic agreement.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
All,

Your statements are based on what special knowledge of what Jesus said or didn't say that I lack? Where do you get this stuff from?