• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your view of Pacifism?

Your view of pacifism

• Pacifism is good

• Pacifism is wrong

• I dont know

• Pacifists are stupidfor not defending them self

Results are only viewable after voting.

joe1776

I don't stand responsible for what others do, I can only say what I stand for. So if someone else does an action, for example, killing, they can not blame me for doing it. Because they chose to do it on their own free will.
Your responsibility for what others do is not an issue in this debate.

You are advocating pacifism as the right moral choice but you are unwilling to offer the opinion that non-pacifists make the wrong moral choice when they fight against fascism and oppression. I'm asking you to explain that since logically both positions can't be right.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Your responsibility for what others do is not an issue in this debate.

You are advocating pacifism as the right moral choice but you are unwilling to offer the opinion that non-pacifists make the wrong moral choice when they fight against fascism and oppression. I'm asking you to explain that since logically both positions can't be right.
I do see killing (even in war as wrong action)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I chose to fight with no violence needed, And i would of course try to help the family, but not by killing what you call enemies
The Nazis would've just killed you. They didn't respect pacifism. It wasn't anything moving to them. Some enemies can only be defeated with violence. That's just life.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But your death will have been in vain and you would've done nothing to help the situation.
I can help in many ways, but i refuse to kill other living beings.
I could help wounded people, or take care of those who lost family members, i could give food to those who needed it more then my self.

You see, in a war situation it is not only about killing the "enemy" it is helping fellow human beings no matter where they come from

joe1776

I do see killing (even in war as wrong action)
Because of their moral intuition (conscience), most human beings feel that killing is sometimes wrong and sometimes justified. But you think killing is always wrong.

Do you think that's because you don't have a conscience like the rest of us or is it because you are allowing your reasoning faculty to make rules that overrule your conscience?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I can help in many ways, but i refuse to kill other living beings.
I could help wounded people, or take care of those who lost family members, i could give food to those who needed it more then my self.

You see, in a war situation it is not only about killing the "enemy" it is helping fellow human beings no matter where they come from
How naive. I'm done.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Because of their moral intuition (conscience), most human beings feel that killing is sometimes wrong and sometimes justified. But you think killing is always wrong.

Do you think that's because you don't have a conscience like the rest of us or is it because you are allowing your reasoning faculty to make rules that overrule your conscience?
I have been a Buddhist since 1997 so the teaching says it is morally wrong to kill, and killing give so much karma that our life will be totally suffering this life or in the next life, just because someone wants to hurt me does not mean I have to hurt them back.
I dont kill bugs, flies, bees, wasps or other insects either

joe1776

I have been a Buddhist since 1997 so the teaching says it is morally wrong to kill, and killing give so much karma that our life will be totally suffering this life or in the next life, just because someone wants to hurt me does not mean I have to hurt them back.
I dont kill bugs, flies, bees, wasps or other insects either
As I'm sure you know, not all Buddhists are pacifists. Nevertheless, it seems that beliefs accepted by the reasoning faculty of your mind have caused you to ignore the intuitive moral guidance offered by your conscience which would allow killing if necessary for self-defense or in order to protect those unable to defend themselves.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Hey @Amanaki, what if you were in a room with 35 tender-hearted pre-school children. And all of a sudden a man with a gun shows up and is about to kill all the children, one by one, and he can't be reasoned with... But there is a loaded gun next to you.

Do you shoot him, or let him do the evil deed?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hey @Amanaki, what if you were in a room with 35 tender-hearted pre-school children. And all of a sudden a man with a gun shows up and is about to kill all the children, one by one, and he can't be reasoned with... But there is a loaded gun next to you.

Do you shoot him, or let him do the evil deed?
I will not kill Anyone, How many times do i have to say it? But i will attack him by my own body and get him to the floor, if i can i will take his gun away.

Btw, How many schools would allow a loaded gun lay on the table of a teacher?So your senario is unreal.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I will not kill Anyone, How many times do i have to say it? But i will attack him by my own body and get him to the floor, if i can i will take his gun away.

Btw, How many schools would allow a loaded gun lay on the table of a teacher?So your senario is unreal.

So you would attack him by physical force. So there are limits to pacifism. That's good, IMO because there are no ideologies that are 100% pure. Nothing in the world is ever 100% pure.