• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your understanding?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What if you happened across an animal that had just gotten struck by a vehicle that was alive but clearly in a great deal of pain and clearly had no chance of survival?

Would you consider it compassionate to take the animal's life or would you allow it to suffer until it ultimately passed on its own from injuries?

I won't judge you for your answer. I'm just curious.
I would take it to the Vet. And ofcourse i would try to reduce the suffering to something less, but it can be karmic reason why the animal was struck by the car, and this i can not interfere.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is actually a bit difficult to answer because they do not have same way of thinking as human beings, but they do have feelings and they can react to fear, so yes in a way they would be. But i might be wrong on this
They react, they interact, they communicate, but to say they "feel" is a bit of a stretch, I think.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
General regard for the plight of all humanity. A sense that comes natural to civil people. I think it impossible to understand, and empathize with everybody. Obviously there are different levels of feeling for other people. However there is a natural feeling of compassion towards people who have no ill will against you.

I cannot justify people who want to eliminate people from the planet. That runs contrary to what is good. Its vain wickedness.

There are so many different plights out there. Evil is the great stumbling block as it ruins everything. It disrupts the natural flow of empathy, and regard that many people have.

Empathy tries to understand , and look truthfully at other people. Its a big planet, obviously not every living situation is going to be ideal. I regard a lot of people's right to live. Nobody owns the planet, we have to share it.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When someone talk about compassion for all living beings what is your understanding of this form of compassion?
The awareness that they are all in the grips of dukkha induced rebecoming and desire (consciously or unconsciously) freedom from this.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The greatest act of compassion I believe today would be for nations, religions and races to reconcile their differences, unite and establish world peace.

Muffled

Jesus in me
When someone talk about compassion for all living beings what is your understanding of this form of compassion?

I hadn't thought about it but I will have to thank God next time I eat a steak that he allows animals to be sacrificed for my eating pleasure.

atanu

Premium Member

When the notion "I am this body" prevails, pain is inevitably generated, because in such a world view the universe is other than 'me'.

In my understanding it is the non-dual awareness that appears as many 'forms-names-functions'. Coming and going of the forms are not at all painful in reality. To me, compassion is recognition of the false pain in me. And compassion is also to try to overcome the veil.