• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your understanding of the occult?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Occult means hidden. I think it is mostly used by Christian churches as an umbrella term to defame practices which, in a more positive connotation, are called New Age or "spiritual" by adherents. There is also a distinct Western tradition of occultism influenced by things like Greek philosophy and Jewish kabbalah.

All these things were / are considered heresy by the churches and thus had to be practised secretly, so they were "occult".

WhyIsThatSo

It's a meaningless category: what goes in depends on who's making the list, even if we ignore the differences between those who practice the occult and academics like Hanegraaff who limit the term to what they want to study!

Originally it applied to "occult properties" — things that could not be explained, like magnetism and gravity. The it applied to "occult sciences" — activities that the enlightenment dismissed, like astrology. Things come and go — hypnotism was once included.

In other words....you don't have a clue

WhyIsThatSo

To be strictly honest, the only association I have with the occult and reality is what I see on t.v. Unless our rituals and beliefs harm others and ourselves, practicing whatever shouldn't be different from one practice to another. I think a lot of it is stereotypes and others associating what we don't understand or mystical because we may be uncomfortable with what we see etc.

To be strictly honest, you have an association with the "occult" almost every minute of every day...….you just don't know it.
Every time a malicious thought enters your mind....envy, jealousy, false pride, etc......you are having an "association".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To be strictly honest, you have an association with the "occult" almost every minute of every day...….you just don't know it.
Every time a malicious thought enters your mind....envy, jealousy, false pride, etc......you are having an "association".

To me that's all fiction. Some people find positiveness in it. Others make it out as if it were works of the devil. The more people put to the word, the more interesting it becomes; and, that's an understatement.

WhyIsThatSo

To be strictly honest, the only association I have with the occult and reality is what I see on t.v. Unless our rituals and beliefs harm others and ourselves, practicing whatever shouldn't be different from one practice to another. I think a lot of it is stereotypes and others associating what we don't understand or mystical because we may be uncomfortable with what we see etc.

To me that's all fiction. Some people find positiveness in it. Others make it out as if it were works of the devil. The more people put to the word, the more interesting it becomes; and, that's an understatement.

Of course.....and in case you don't know, to "ignore" something makes one "ignorant".
Which is not so bad when it's done innocently. But to be willingly ignorant is something else....
and why "ignorance is bliss" for most of humanity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Of course.....and in case you don't know, to "ignore" something makes one "ignorant".
Which is not so bad when it's done innocently. But to be willingly ignorant is something else....

Shrugs. It doesn't matter. It's irrelevant to me. I answered the question just because. If someone wants to strike a conversation, cool. Maybe I'll learn something. But not all things we are ignorant of are so important we need to know.

WhyIsThatSo

Shrugs. It doesn't matter. It's irrelevant to me. I answered the question just because. If someone wants to strike a conversation, cool. Maybe I'll learn something. But not all things we are ignorant of are so important we need to know.

Not all things are important no, that's true. But I can assure you that being knowledgeable of the "occult", in truth....and not in ignorance
is the most important knowledge one can have.
Why do you think it has always been "hidden" from the average joe ? Those in the know keep it hidden, and they just happen to be the most influential in society....Kings, Queens, Popes, Presidents, etc. They keep the "power" to themselves. That's the only way they can rule over the masses.

And also why historically they condemn to death those who want to reveal it in any way so the masses will become educated too.
This is the reason for the "mystery schools" of antiquity...….and those "schools" are still around today.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Not all things are important no, that's true. But I can assure you that being knowledgeable of the "occult", in truth....and not in ignorance
is the most important knowledge one can have.
Why do you think it has always been "hidden" from the average joe ? Those in the know keep it hidden, and they just happen to be the most influential in society....Kings, Queens, Popes, Presidents, etc. They keep the "power" to themselves. That's the only way they can rule over the masses.

And also why historically they condemn to death those who want to reveal it in any way so the masses will become educated too.
This is the reason for the "mystery schools" of antiquity...….and those "schools" are still around today.

Why do people love mystery so much that they idolize it. Occult means hidden, okay. Now what?

It's useful to some people, but I'm not getting ignorance in this case is negative (my words) when it's not contributing to anything but to the only one who takes it up as truth.

Mystery is cool, but the it's also defied, idolized, or made special because it's secret. Why is that?

WhyIsThatSo

Why do people love mystery so much that they idolize it. Occult means hidden, okay. Now what?

It's useful to some people, but I'm not getting ignorance in this case is negative (my words) when it's not contributing to anything but to the only one who takes it up as truth.

Mystery is cool, but the it's also defied, idolized, or made special because it's secret. Why is that?

I don't think you understand, so let me put it in a way that you might.

ALL "religions" in this world are confused at least, and misled at worse. They are ALL WRONG when it comes to understanding this reality
that we all find ourselves in here. They are about mind control , just like every other "institution" that we THINK are for our benefit.

If a person wants to know the truth of this reality, and what is really going on "behind the scenes", they must seek the truth outside the
mind prison that this world imposes on them. That's what the "mystery" is about. That's what the "occult" is.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't see what you're saying is related to my post.

I don't. I'm trying to find the connection.

ALL "religions" in this world are confused at least, and misled at worse. They are ALL WRONG when it comes to understanding this reality

That's your opinion.

that we all find ourselves in here. They are about mind control , just like every other "institution" that we THINK are for our benefit.

I don't have such a negative view. But it's familiar so I should be used to it.

If a person wants to know the truth of this reality, and what is really going on "behind the scenes", they must seek the truth outside the

Who knows the truth of reality?

(Do you?)

mind prison that this world imposes on them. That's what the "mystery" is about. That's what the "occult" is.

Okay. That does not exclude I see it as fiction, it's irrelevant in my life, and people are drawn to mystery and deify it.

Where's the connect?

WhyIsThatSo

I don't see what you're saying is related to my post.

I don't. I'm trying to find the connection.

That's your opinion.

I don't have such a negative view. But it's familiar so I should be used to it.

Who knows the truth of reality?

(Do you?)

Okay. That does not exclude I see it as fiction, it's irrelevant in my life, and people are drawn to mystery and deify it.

Where's the connect?

WhyIsThatSo

The original post was a question : "What is your view of the occult and what do you know about it ? "
Your post was an acknowledgment that you knew nothing …..basically.

I was simply trying to "enlighten" you (that's slang for educate you in the occult), what it is, what it means, what it's about.
I'm sorry you can't understand what I'm saying to you, but I had to try.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Occult, not cult.
Again, which one?
Or are you claiming there is only one belief system hidden, non-revealed, concealed from view?
Which belief system is it?
You know, the one and only belief system which is hidden, non-revealed, concealed from view?
And why is it hidden, non-revealed, concealed from view?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Well I think we need to start with a definition of 'Occult'

occult

noun
: matters regarded as involving the action or influence of supernatural or supernormal powers or some secret knowledge of them

My thought is that such things do exist and are real as the super-physical planes of reality are as complicated as the physical plane. So this subject is essentially endless. The word seems to be morphing in common usage towards the dark and evil probably evolving from the dominant Christian religion's dislike of dabbling in such things.
The OP did start with a definition of the word.
In fact, it is the very first sentence of the OP.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I first encountered the word as a kid interested in astronomy.
When a star is hidden behind a planet or the moon, it is said to be ‘occulted’ or ‘occluded’.

Vipassana meditation is a study via mindfulness of what is occult in one’s own nature. Which simply means becoming aware of what were hidden, or unobserved, reactions and behaviours.

Ajna chakra is the capacity to look inwards at one’s own psychic structure, so I guess all Hindu teachers endorse taking the occult as the path.

I accept much of Five Elements philosophy, exorcism theory, and reiki. Also alchemic theory.

I reject most of the rest as superstitious nonsense.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Did you know that occult actually means hidden knowledge?
It is not evil from the beginning, but some people have made Occult a symbol of evil.

What is your view of the occult, and what do you know about it?
I think that in most cases the occult is fraudulent, allowing con artists to take advantage of impressionable seekers.

In some cases it draws in the highly intuitive, giving them an avenue of expression for their analogical orientation. However, even in these cases, the occult is dangerous. Why? Because it seduces with the idea that one is "special" and "different from boring normal people" It feeds arrogance, and that corrupts the soul.

WhyIsThatSo

I think that in most cases the occult is fraudulent, allowing con artists to take advantage of impressionable seekers.

In some cases it draws in the highly intuitive, giving them an avenue of expression for their analogical orientation. However, even in these cases, the occult is dangerous. Why? Because it seduces with the idea that one is "special" and "different from boring normal people" It feeds arrogance, and that corrupts the soul.

I think that most cases in the exoteric avenues of expression are fraudulent, allowing con artists (Popes, Preachers, Priests)
to take advantage of impressionable seekers.

And there must be a million ways (other than occult) that folks find to seduce themselves with the idea that they are special and different,
thereby feeding their arrogance..

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I think that most cases in the exoteric avenues of expression are fraudulent, allowing con artists (Popes, Preachers, Priests)
to take advantage of impressionable seekers.

And there must be a million ways (other than occult) that folks find to seduce themselves with the idea that they are special and different,
thereby feeding their arrogance..
I find it odd that you include those in Catholicism as being into the occult. that is certainly NOT standard.