• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Your Personal Agenda?

Super Universe

Defender of God
I believe and promote secular humanism and I critique attacks on SH. I'd like to make a positive dent in the world, I want to be a life-long learner, and I want to do what I can to protect the planet for my kids and everyone's kids (and their kids and so on), to enjoy.

Everyone is presenting themselves as nice and kind and caring.

What are your control issues?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Everyone is presenting themselves as nice and kind and caring.

What are your control issues?

i'm critical, and i'm impatient with people who let their egos gum up the works. i'm very irritated by people who think that random, ad hoc opinions have as much weight as expert assessments. i'm impatient with liars. i'm arrogant :)

Super Universe

Defender of God
i'm critical, and i'm impatient with people who let their egos gum up the works. i'm very irritated by people who think that random, ad hoc opinions have as much weight as expert assessments. i'm impatient with liars. i'm arrogant :)

To you, what signs indicate a person has an ego?

You're arrogant? Would you say you have a sense of superiority? What do you think justifies your arrogance? Is it something you've done (years of education and research?) or just your innate personality?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
To you, what signs indicate a person has an ego?

You're arrogant? Would you say you have a sense of superiority? What do you think justifies your arrogance? Is it something you've done (years of education and research?) or just your innate personality?

I really value expertise. For any given topic, people who are not experts in that topic should listen to people who are. I try to operate that way. It pisses me off when amateurs debate experts.

I would say that it IS in my personality to pursue things to the point of expertise. But I'm the first to acknowledge that I'm an expert at only a few things, and I'm an amateur at most things. There are some people who have to be "the smartest person in the room, on every topic" ;)

The Holy Bottom Burp

Something like that.
Yeah, let's go with "nothing like that" shall we? A professional psychoanalyst doesn't come on a forum like this offering "professional advice" to anonymous punters, but don't get me wrong; I like the theme of the thread but it belongs in the jokes section mate.
My agenda is to make all theists see why they are all so blatantly wrong. Oh yes, I used to believe but that was then and this is now! I rest my case. (My other real agenda is to make everybody on the forum a Tottenham Hotspur fan. Look at my avatar, it's cool right? Even if you are an American who thinks "football" is that game played by sissies with shoulder pads, you know that "soccer" is the real man's game don't you? Yes, that's right, tomorrow you will declare yourself a Spurs fan. You will be much cooler and attractive as a result, you know that. Spurs are the best team in the world aren't they? Yes, Spurs is the answer you have been looking for...)

Super Universe

Defender of God
Yeah, let's go with "nothing like that" shall we? A professional psychoanalyst doesn't come on a forum like this offering "professional advice" to anonymous punters, but don't get me wrong; I like the theme of the thread but it belongs in the jokes section mate.
My agenda is to make all theists see why they are all so blatantly wrong. Oh yes, I used to believe but that was then and this is now! I rest my case. (My other real agenda is to make everybody on the forum a Tottenham Hotspur fan. Look at my avatar, it's cool right? Even if you are an American who thinks "football" is that game played by sissies with shoulder pads, you know that "soccer" is the real man's game don't you? Yes, that's right, tomorrow you will declare yourself a Spurs fan. You will be much cooler and attractive as a result, you know that. Spurs are the best team in the world aren't they? Yes, Spurs is the answer you have been looking for...)

When did I offer "professional" advice? The best advice doesn't come from professionals, it comes from a friend or family member who knows you and actually cares about you.

You don't know half as much as you think you do. To figure people out you have to develop instincts. People won't come right out and tell you "I'm messed up because as a kid I was a mommy's boy and she chose religion over me so that's why I'm incredibly lazy because no matter how hard I work it won't give me what I want most which is a better relationship with my mom". Part of the reason they won't tell you that is because they usually don't even know it themselves.

What better place to develop your psychoanalytical instincts then at an online forum where everyone is using a fictitious name? Even here people are hesitant to divulge their control issues but some are not afraid and are participating.

You think this is all a joke? I'm sure you find amusement in a lot of things that the rest of us find disturbing.

You used to believe and now you don't? So something happened and you didn't get the life you think you should have. Oh boo hoo hoo. Who was the person who told you that it was all about you?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Question or interrogation, how would anyone know the difference?

Your point was clear. You don't like the topic so you claimed it might be false but you provided no supporting evidence for your claim.

So if it's not the towels, which it probably really is and you just won't admit to it, it must be the home window blinds. They always have to be closed, right?
No that was not my point. And no to the window blinds as well, lol.

The point is that while control dramas may very well be an insightful concept seeing them in every aspect and corner is the same as someone reading the dsm and diagnosing all their friends.

To assume that everyone has a specific control drama is just speculation. You have offered no supporting evidence for your claim. And the rhetorical tactic of insinuating that people do not want to admit it or are lying about it is in poor form.

All this does is amount to a projection. If you feel that a control drama is a large part of your interaction with others, that is okay. Hopefully, you can find better ways to communicate. But, your experience, although valid and important, is not a standard by which you can logically judge all others.

Cheers

Super Universe

Defender of God
No that was not my point. And no to the window blinds as well, lol.

The point is that while control dramas may very well be an insightful concept seeing them in every aspect and corner is the same as someone reading the dsm and diagnosing all their friends.

To assume that everyone has a specific control drama is just speculation. You have offered no supporting evidence for your claim. And the rhetorical tactic of insinuating that people do not want to admit it or are lying about it is in poor form.

All this does is amount to a projection. If you feel that a control drama is a large part of your interaction with others, that is okay. Hopefully, you can find better ways to communicate. But, your experience, although valid and important, is not a standard by which you can logically judge all others.

Cheers

This is one topic. I can't fix your car, your home, your country, and everything else that you're not happy about.

This topic is about people with control issues and self esteem issues. It's also for people who WANT to discuss these issues. It's not for people who want to dissuade others from discussing something that you don't feel comfortable about discussing. You don't have the power to control what we want to talk about. Why did you think you did?

To assume that everyone has a specific control drama is just speculation? You can believe what you want to believe. I'm sure you are the only person on the planet who is entirely kind, just, equal, fair, and reasonable, at least I'm sure you "think" you are that way.

Control drama's are not always a large part of our interactions with others. When you talk with someone in the super market they don't go into how messed up they are because one time their mom hit them when they were a kid and said a bad word.

My experience is not a standard by which I can logically judge all others? Do humans eat? If your answer is yes then how could you come to that assumption if you haven't met everyone?

You're very defensive. If you don't want to participate in the discussion, then don't, but why do you think you can get the rest of us to avoid talking about it just because you don't like the subject matter?

You are attempting to control what others discuss of their own free will. No wonder you are against the topic.

Curious George

Veteran Member
This is one topic. I can't fix your car, your home, your country, and everything else that you're not happy about.

This topic is about people with control issues and self esteem issues. It's also for people who WANT to discuss these issues. It's not for people who want to dissuade others from discussing something that you don't feel comfortable about discussing. You don't have the power to control what we want to talk about. Why did you think you did?

To assume that everyone has a specific control drama is just speculation? You can believe what you want to believe. I'm sure you are the only person on the planet who is entirely kind, just, equal, fair, and reasonable, at least I'm sure you "think" you are that way.

Control drama's are not always a large part of our interactions with others. When you talk with someone in the super market they don't go into how messed up they are because one time their mom hit them when they were a kid and said a bad word.

My experience is not a standard by which I can logically judge all others? Do humans eat? If your answer is yes then how could you come to that assumption if you haven't met everyone?

You're very defensive. If you don't want to participate in the discussion, then don't, but why do you think you can get the rest of us to avoid talking about it just because you don't like the subject matter?

You are attempting to control what others discuss of their own free will. No wonder you are against the topic.
No, I think you have invited an interesting discourse. I think that you method of opening that discourse deserved comment. It is part of the discussion. I certainly do not want to disuade anyone from discussing control dramas. However if someone says all people have a control drama, I will definitely question them.

The Holy Bottom Burp

When did I offer "professional" advice? The best advice doesn't come from professionals, it comes from a friend or family member who knows you and actually cares about you.

You don't know half as much as you think you do. To figure people out you have to develop instincts. People won't come right out and tell you "I'm messed up because as a kid I was a mommy's boy and she chose religion over me so that's why I'm incredibly lazy because no matter how hard I work it won't give me what I want most which is a better relationship with my mom". Part of the reason they won't tell you that is because they usually don't even know it themselves.

What better place to develop your psychoanalytical instincts then at an online forum where everyone is using a fictitious name? Even here people are hesitant to divulge their control issues but some are not afraid and are participating.

You think this is all a joke? I'm sure you find amusement in a lot of things that the rest of us find disturbing.

You used to believe and now you don't? So something happened and you didn't get the life you think you should have. Oh boo hoo hoo. Who was the person who told you that it was all about you?
Ooh, touched a nerve there I see. I'd argue that the "best advice" doesn't necessarily come from a "friend or family member", that is why we have professionals.
Just a tip, if you do aspire to be a professional psychoanalyst "Oh boo hoo hoo. Who was the person who told you that it was all about you?" is probably a phrase best avoided. ;)

Super Universe

Defender of God
No, I think you have invited an interesting discourse. I think that you method of opening that discourse deserved comment. It is part of the discussion. I certainly do not want to disuade anyone from discussing control dramas. However if someone says all people have a control drama, I will definitely question them.

I think all people have issues. Whether those issues are always controlling is certainly up for debate although my interpretation puts many things into the category of control.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Ooh, touched a nerve there I see. I'd argue that the "best advice" doesn't necessarily come from a "friend or family member", that is why we have professionals.
Just a tip, if you do aspire to be a professional psychoanalyst "Oh boo hoo hoo. Who was the person who told you that it was all about you?" is probably a phrase best avoided. ;)

You would argue that the best advice doesn't necessarily come from a friend or family member? So, your family is irresponsible and immature? Are they alcoholics? Are they into drugs?

If I do desire to become a professional psychoanalyst? I retired ten years ago and I'll let you in on a little secret, every psychiatrist wants to tell every adult that they see "Boo hoo hoo, get over it, and start acting like an adult".

The Holy Bottom Burp

You would argue that the best advice doesn't necessarily come from a friend or family member? So, your family is irresponsible and immature? Are they alcoholics? Are they into drugs?

If I do desire to become a professional psychoanalyst? I retired ten years ago and I'll let you in on a little secret, every psychiatrist wants to tell every adult that they see "Boo hoo hoo, get over it, and start acting like an adult".
Thanks Sigmund, glad to hear you retired ten years ago, damn sure I wouldn't want you unleashed on the world of psychoanalysis. Lighten up dude.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
What things are you obsessive about? Cleanliness? Door and window locks?
I can be a bit obsessive when researching whatever subject I'm interested in learning about.

You were abused more as an adult than as a child? Past trauma affects future behavior. Was the abuse from your spouse?
Yes, much of it was from my spouse.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Thanks Sigmund, glad to hear you retired ten years ago, damn sure I wouldn't want you unleashed on the world of psychoanalysis. Lighten up dude.

Retired just means I don't get paid for what I do anymore.

You wouldn't want me unleashed on the world? Control freaks never want to be revealed. They can't do what they enjoy when others realize what they are doing.

I should lighten up? You're in my thread. There are other topics you can attend.