• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion of this?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I believe this may be the best place to post this -

What do you reckon and just how many people would have ever been "enlightened" if we use such a definition -

"A man of enlightenment, feeling one with existence, needs no morality, needs no ethics, needs no teachings about what is right and what is wrong. He is so in tune with existence that everything that happens through him is bound to be just right. There is no possibility of anything going wrong. Meditation is an art of bringing you closer to the heartbeat of existence. The deeper you go within you … you will find the very heartbeat of existence. Then there is no morality for you; all that you do is beautiful."

~ Osho

Enjoy your day!

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
And much worse to boot.

Listening to him is very dangerous at the best of circunstances.
When you look into that quoted statement of his you can see that it is completely meaningless like much of postmodernism. Yet people look at his teachings as if they are something profound when in actuality they are a bunch of word games

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
And much worse to boot.

Listening to him is very dangerous at the best of circunstances.

Just talking about the quote in the OP, I would pretty strongly agree that an "I'm above ethics and morality" attitude could be and often is extremely dangerous in the hands of most self-defined "Enlightened Beings" (I've known a few. Awful, awful people. :p).

On the other hand, I also believe there are people in this world who's nature it is to treat other people the way they themselves want to be treated, and do so without any need for a set of rules telling them they should.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Just talking about the quote in the OP, I would pretty strongly agree that an "I'm above ethics and morality" attitude could be and often is extremely dangerous in the hands of most self-defined "Enlightened Beings" (I've known a few. Awful, awful people. :p).

On the other hand, I also believe there are people in this world who's nature it is to treat other people the way they themselves want to be treated, and do so without any need for a set of rules telling them they should.
You slipped in with what I was also thinking. There are many who pretend to be enlightened because they find it a route to money, sex and power. I once read this:

There are many hypocritical saints with long matted hair and their bodies besmeared with ashes. Tukaram says: "Let their dead conscience be burnt; it is no sin to thrash them!"

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You slipped in with what I was also thinking. There are many who pretend to be enlightened because they find it a route to money, sex and power.

Or to make up for any number of things.

I once read this:

There are many hypocritical saints with long matted hair and their bodies besmeared with ashes. Tukaram says: "Let their dead conscience be burnt; it is no sin to thrash them!"

Or at least, it shouldn't be a sin to want to. :D

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

What do you reckon and just how many people would have ever been "enlightened" if we use such a definition -

"A man of enlightenment, feeling one with existence, needs no morality, needs no ethics, needs no teachings about what is right and what is wrong. He is so in tune with existence that everything that happens through him is bound to be just right. There is no possibility of anything going wrong. Meditation is an art of bringing you closer to the heartbeat of existence. The deeper you go within you … you will find the very heartbeat of existence. Then there is no morality for you; all that you do is beautiful."

~ Osho

Enjoy your day!
If you are at one with everything, then you can't think objectively. Your mileage may vary.

Komori

~ Osho

Enjoy your day!
Well of course a leader of a sex cult would say such a thing.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

~ Osho

Enjoy your day!

Hello Geoff.... ! :)

That description........... is of a psychopath!

Scary........... :eek:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Avidya runs deep in this thread.

But I digress. I'm not sure "feeling" is the right word, because feelings are tied to the physical body...to relative reality. I would have used the word "being."

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often

~ Osho

Enjoy your day!
Enlightenment isn't that far off from any of us, it's within.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

"A man of enlightenment, feeling one with existence, needs no morality, needs no ethics, needs no teachings about what is right and what is wrong. .." ~ Osho
Yeah, Osho had no need for morality or ethics.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

~ Osho

Enjoy your day!
I think who exalteth himself shall be humbled and who humbleth himself shall be abased. If this man thinks he's all that an idiot can be more enlightened than him.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you are at one with everything, then you can't think objectively.

Did you hear the one about the Zen master who asked the hot dog vendor outside of Sam's Club to make him one with everything?

Understandably annoyed, when the Zen master requested his change, the hot dog vendor told him that change must come from within.