• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your interpretation of this song?

Rational Agnostic

I am curious as to what members of this forum, particularly Christians, think of the lyrics of "Chop Suey" by System of a Down. I am curious as to what you believe the lyrics of this song are referring to, and if you believe that the song is mocking Jesus and the Christian faith. When I initially heard the song, it seemed to me that the lyrics were referring to Jesus' death on the cross and as a result would be quite offensive to many Christians. However, after considering the lyrics more carefully, I am not at all convinced that the lyrics are referring to Jesus, nor am I convinced that the song is attempting to mock the Christian faith. I have some alternate interpretations in mind, but I would like to hear your thoughts first.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
He's just identifying with that feeling of being rejected and betrayed. Compare it to "Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
He is definitely talking about Jesus. I was 100% positive when he say "Father why have you forsaken me, into your hands I commend my spirit. So then he calls Jesus on the cross "self righteous suicide" Which makes it sound negative.
But I found an interesting lesson on prophecy because of it. Here in Psalm 22 David seems to be prophecying of Christ on the cross, then Mark 15:34 is the fulfillment of that prophecy with Christ on the cross.

Psalm 22:1 For the director of music. To the tune of "The Doe of the Morning." A psalm of David. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?

Mark 15:34 And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure. It's at least possible that it's pointing out some of the more arbitrary or interpretive aspects of Christianity.

Based on interviews I've heard, they're not anti-Christian, particularly but are somewhat anti-religious dogma.

They seem more spiritual or syncretic in their approach to belief.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
He is definitely talking about Jesus. I was 100% positive when he say "Father why have you forsaken me, into your hands I commend my spirit.

Whilst the references are clearly Biblical, it doesn't mean the song is about Jesus. Songs have been known to use Jesus for the purposes of analogy, but be about something else entirely.

Eulogy, by Tool, is a good example of this.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Whilst the references are clearly Biblical, it doesn't mean the song is about Jesus. Songs have been known to use Jesus for the purposes of analogy, but be about something else entirely.

Eulogy, by Tool, is a good example of this.

Oh sorry, I should have said, it is definitely "about Jesus"

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think this explanation is accurate Chop Suey by System of a Down Songfacts

This is about drug addiction, but it doesn't have the somber tone that many songs about addiction have. The band describes it as "a little quacky." The song can also be interpreted to be about how society views death or about Christ.
Guitarist Daron Malakian: "The song is about how when people die, they will be regarded differently depending on the way they pass. Like, if I were to die from a drug overdose, everyone would say I deserved it because I abused drugs, hence the line 'Angels deserve to die.'"

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks...

A most excellant track form one of my fave groups :)

meaning though..?....Hmmmm - self righteous suicide - is LIFE ITSELF -we all commit slow suicide here ;)

He talks of LIFE - of hiding from the Self - of creating lies that we tell the Self continously ... And he talks of finally realising the delusion - only to find it too late and he is abandoned - does not now know where to turn.. He has no trust in HIS life - in his own "self righteous suicide" - and those he looked to for truth, have let him down - Angels that deserve to die....

It is a song about the delusions of life - how low it can bring us - how miserable it makes us - and it is a song about the god who was not there and remianed SILENT when called upon......

Pehpaps this is why I like it so..?...It mirrors my own experience with THATt god perfectly ;)

Rational Agnostic

He is definitely talking about Jesus. I was 100% positive when he say "Father why have you forsaken me, into your hands I commend my spirit. So then he calls Jesus on the cross "self righteous suicide" Which makes it sound negative.
But I found an interesting lesson on prophecy because of it. Here in Psalm 22 David seems to be prophecying of Christ on the cross, then Mark 15:34 is the fulfillment of that prophecy with Christ on the cross.

Psalm 22:1 For the director of music. To the tune of "The Doe of the Morning." A psalm of David. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?

Mark 15:34 And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").

I agree there are Biblical references, but I would be hesitant in claiming 100% certainty about the lyrical interpretation of a song, particularly one by this band. But I definitely appreciate your insight.

jonathan180iq

Oh, for the love of god...

Allusion - Examples and Definition of Allusion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wake up
Grab a brush and put a little (makeup)
Grab a brush and put a little
Hide the scars to fade away the (shakeup)
Hide the scars to fade away the
Why'd you leave the keys upon the table?
Here you go create another fable
You wanted to
Grab a brush and put a little makeup
You wanted to
Hide the scars to fade away the shakeup
You wanted to
You wanted to
I don't think you trust
In, my, self righteous suicide
I, cry, when angels deserve to die, DIE
Wake up
Grab a brush and put a little (makeup)
Grab a brush and put a little
Hide the scars to fade away the (shakeup)
Hide the scars to fade away the
Here you go create another fable
You wanted to
Grab a brush and put a little makeup
You wanted to
Hide the scars to fade away the shakeup
You wanted to
You wanted to
I don't think you trust
I, cry, when angels deserve to die
Father, father, father, father
Father into your hands, I commend my spirit
Father into your hands
why have you forsaken me
In your eyes forsaken me
In your thoughts forsaken me
In your heart forsaken, me oh
Trust in my self righteous suicide
In my self righteous suicide

HonestJoe

As far as I'm aware, SOAD don't offer specific meanings of their songs and let people take what they want from them. One the face of it though, this is about suicide (in fact it's been claimed that was the intended title but the record company wouldn't let them use that so they "chopped up the suicide").

There is obvious Christian imagery in the lyrics but I don't see anything specifically mocking or attacking it. The writers grew up in Christian-influenced societies so, like many writers and artists, used that imagery regardless of whether they're Christian themselves.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I am curious as to what members of this forum, particularly Christians, think of the lyrics of "Chop Suey" by System of a Down. I am curious as to what you believe the lyrics of this song are referring to, and if you believe that the song is mocking Jesus and the Christian faith. When I initially heard the song, it seemed to me that the lyrics were referring to Jesus' death on the cross and as a result would be quite offensive to many Christians. However, after considering the lyrics more carefully, I am not at all convinced that the lyrics are referring to Jesus, nor am I convinced that the song is attempting to mock the Christian faith. I have some alternate interpretations in mind, but I would like to hear your thoughts first.

Oh good grief at the comments in this thread. You guys are aware of this little thing called the internet? Why not pose your question on Google and then read what the actual band members say about their song(s)...

Daron Malakian (SoaD member since 1994): "The song is about how we are regarded differently depending on how we pass. Everyone deserves to die. Like, if I were now to die from drug abuse, they might say I deserved it because I abused dangerous drugs. Hence the line, ' 'I cry when angels deserve to die'. The lyric passages 'Father, into your hands I commend my spirit' and 'why have you forsaken me?' are a reference to Jesus' death on the cross, as, according to the Gospels, it was one of the seven things Jesus said while dying."

Is it mocking? No.
Does it reference Jesus on the cross? Yes.

End of story.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Oh good grief at the comments in this thread. You guys are aware of this little thing called the internet? Why not pose your question on Google and then read what the actual band members say about their song(s)...

Daron Malakian (SoaD member since 1994): "The song is about how we are regarded differently depending on how we pass. Everyone deserves to die. Like, if I were now to die from drug abuse, they might say I deserved it because I abused dangerous drugs. Hence the line, ' 'I cry when angels deserve to die'. The lyric passages 'Father, into your hands I commend my spirit' and 'why have you forsaken me?' are a reference to Jesus' death on the cross, as, according to the Gospels, it was one of the seven things Jesus said while dying."

Is it mocking? No.
Does it reference Jesus on the cross? Yes.

End of story.

They say that is what it was about, but that doesn't mean they aren't lying. What they really did is call Jesus self righteous, which is common for anti Christians to call Christians self righteous. Spin it how you want but I know what it says.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
They say that is what it was about, but that doesn't mean they aren't lying. What they really did is call Jesus self righteous, which is common for anti Christians to call Christians self righteous. Spin it how you want but I know what it says.

Or, you could be trying to turn nothing into something that simply is not there. Not everything in this world has to have a double meaning or undertone. Not everything has to be anti-Christian. You are grasping at straws.