• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your idea of success?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So, to worldly, materialistic, faithless people ,who aren't spiritually mature (or Christlike), my idea of success sounds completely insane...
My idea of success is simply dying in a state of grace and getting to heaven where there is no more suffering and sickness, no more sin, no more hate, no more injustice, no more bigotry, no more confusion, no more division, no more violence or crime, beauty that doesn't fade, perfection, enlightenment, understanding, riches/treasures that don't perish, unity with God and heroes who have gone to their eternal reward, and glory... everything I desire...

Having a Doctorate, a degree, a career, being famous, being a billionaire, or being president of the United States, doesn't strike me as successful, if it wasn't God's will or somehow you die outside of God's grace and don't get to Heaven...

I consider John the Baptist successful...he wore Camel's hair, sandles, ate locusts and wild honey in the wilderness, was uneducated, homeless, unemployed, considered a "madman", yet influenced the world in a greater way than anyone at RF imo...( it's been roughly 2000 years, and who doesn't know about John the Baptist? You think billions of people are going to read about, know of, or talk about any of us, 2000 years from now?o_O)

I also consider success being enlightened, having holiness, having prudence, wisdom, and understanding, being filled with the spirit of God, and doing God's will...

...no school, degree, or career can show you how to do that...there are Scientists, Historians, lawyers, mathematicians, celebrities, Doctors, proffessors, Astronauts, inventors, authors, public speakers, leaders, Generals, superintendents, CEO's, Olympic Athletes, politicians (and whatever else is considered impressive and successful)...who simply don't have that, therefore are not what I'd consider successful...

Last edited by a moderator:

Duke_Leto

Your post seems somewhat contradictory.

So, to worldly, materialistic, faithless people ,who aren't spiritually mature (or Christlike), my idea of success sounds completely insane...
My idea of success is simply dying in a state of grace and getting to heaven where there is no more suffering and sickness, no more sin, no more hate, no more injustice, no more bigotry, no more confusion, no more division, no more violence or crime, beauty that doesn't fade, perfection, enlightenment, understanding, riches/treasures that don't perish, unity with God and heroes who have gone to their eternal reward, and glory... everything I desire...

Having a Doctorate, a degree, a career, being famous, being a billionaire, or being president of the United States, doesn't strike me as successful, if it wasn't God's will or somehow you die outside of God's grace and don't get to Heaven...

In this section you say that fame doesn't matter. Yet you then say

I consider John the Baptist successful...he wore Camel's hair, sandles, ate locusts and wild honey in the wilderness, was uneducated, homeless, unemployed, considered a "madman", yet influenced the world in a greater way than anyone at RF imo...( it's been roughly 2000 years, and who doesn't know about John the Baptist? You think billions of people are going to read about, know of, or talk about any of us, 2000 years from now?o_O)

You seem to say that you think John the Baptist was successful because he was famous.

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe success to be developing a strong mind, so that you can think clearly and intelligently for yourself, aren't subsumed by the opinions and actions of other people, are firm and direct in your actions and words, and have a great, conscious, and correct understanding of your own self and your actions.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Your post seems somewhat contradictory.

In this section you say that fame doesn't matter. Yet you then say

You seem to say that you think John the Baptist was successful because he was famous.

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe success to be developing a strong mind, so that you can think clearly and intelligently for yourself, aren't subsumed by the opinions and actions of other people, are firm and direct in your actions and words, and have a great, conscious, and correct understanding of your own self and your actions.
No, I was pointing out how influential he was... despite being uneducated, homeless, and unemployed...in a way that worldly people can appreciate...

What made him great, in my opinion, was his unity with God, obedience, and willingness to be imprisoned, suffer, and die for his convictions...not his fame...

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
A random stranger buying my art, was my first step of success.

It;s happened, I made it. Awesome, just need to keep repeating it.

Making money is part of it? But it's not the focus, and about 50% of what I make goes back into my craft, oil paint is NOT cheap, especially the high end products like series 5-8 stuff Jibbers Crabst that stuff is expensive. Like 130mL bottle of series 7 Winton and Windsor tube will cost you 60$, Not cool. I hope I have some recognition too eventually. If there is fame in the art world, I don't want it, but I'm not hard to miss unfortunately being 6'8". I can't exactly hide in a crowd. But I would like to have a unique signature identity that I am known for by people, someone looks at a piece and they just know that's Matt's thing. I'm still searching for solid footing, and I kinda don't want to be stuck in a singular style, but I suppose my portrait style is pretty locked in. But in other arenas of expression I still need to find my visual voice. That would be success to me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I also consider success being enlightened, having holiness, having prudence, wisdom, and understanding, being filled with the spirit of God, and doing God's will...

...no school, degree, or career can show you how to do that...there are Scientists, Historians, lawyers, mathematicians, celebrities, Doctors, proffessors, Astronauts, inventors, authors, public speakers, leaders, Generals, superintendents, CEO's, Olympic Athletes, politicians (and whatever else is considered impressive and successful)...who simply don't have that, therefore are not what I'd consider successful...

Just being generally happy, calm, and not stressed. That's the pinnacle of success in my view.

I want to live in reality. Not be scared of imaginary hell or looking forward to imaginary heaven. I am satisfied with little. In all humility, I am already feeling successful.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Death.

I don't mean that to sound dark and sinister, nor do I intend to encourage suicide, but you're born, do whatever you need to do in life, then die. Process complete.

Whatever you particular process was is now complete, finished. You've succeeded in completing the process or cycle of life. Death is the end of the journey, you've finally reach the end of the trail.

When I die, however that comes about, I will see my life as an success.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My personal goals have already been met. I am happy, centered and focused even in adversity and stress, for I have touched something deep and transcendent in the daily experiences of life.
But a successful contribution to society would be if I can help in ameliorating environmental pollution, find sustainable practice in energy production and usage, and to inspire the next generation to practice ethical scientific advancements. I am here for I have fallen in love with the earth and hope to my little bit to preserve and protect all life in it for the future eons.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
One of my favorite definitions of success:

--
To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the
affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and
endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the
best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy
child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life
has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
A random stranger buying my art, was my first step of success.

It;s happened, I made it. Awesome, just need to keep repeating it.

Making money is part of it? But it's not the focus, and about 50% of what I make goes back into my craft, oil paint is NOT cheap, especially the high end products like series 5-8 stuff Jibbers Crabst that stuff is expensive. Like 130mL bottle of series 7 Winton and Windsor tube will cost you 60$, Not cool. I hope I have some recognition too eventually. If there is fame in the art world, I don't want it, but I'm not hard to miss unfortunately being 6'8". I can't exactly hide in a crowd. But I would like to have a unique signature identity that I am known for by people, someone looks at a piece and they just know that's Matt's thing. I'm still searching for solid footing, and I kinda don't want to be stuck in a singular style, but I suppose my portrait style is pretty locked in. But in other arenas of expression I still need to find my visual voice. That would be success to me.
My name is Matt...we have the same name?