• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your idea of gun control?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I keep hearing Democrats want to take our guns away. I hope they just want to make sure crazies like me don't have guns.

I'm sure plenty of Democrats own guns and don't want that right taken.

What is your idea of gun control, and what does the left plan on doing?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Only allow people guns if they need them. That is farmers mostly. If you cannot prove you need a gun or should have any right to own one, you shouldn't have one.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I keep hearing Democrats want to take our guns away. I hope they just want to make sure crazies like me don't have guns.

I am not a US citizen but in my mind no civilian should have weapons in their possession. Not the way the word have become.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I am not a US citizen but in my mind no civilian should have weapons in their possession. Not the way the word have become.
Only allow people to have guns if they need them. That is farmers mostly. If you cannot prove that you need a gun or should have any right to own one, you shouldn't have one.
It seems that is then on many people's agendas that guns should be taken away from people who don't have very special need of them?

My mother and Father's suspicions are confirmed

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It seems that is then on many people's agendas that guns should be taken away from people who don't have very special need of them?

My mother and Father's suspicions are confirmed
Yes Guns should be to no use for civilians, it is a tool that should be destroyed

Jeremiah Ames

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I think it should be as difficult to get a gun as it is to get a driver license. Same concept of written test and even a proof of competence on shooting range. But I don't think the right should be taken away, just that you have to show the ability to handle it correctly.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I am okay with armed citizens, but on the stipulation that the citizenry also be trained in non-lethal self-defense, crisis management, and some sort of emergency medical training (as able).

In other words, take responsibility for gun ownership.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I keep hearing Democrats want to take our guns away.

Some do, but it's certainly not part of the official party platform. You can download the official party platform here - Party Platform - Democrats - and definitely does NOT contain a statement expressing a desire to disarm all American citizens. What it says is this:

"With 33,000 Americans dying every year, Democrats believe that we must finally take sensible action to address gun violence. While responsible gun ownership is part of the fabric of many communities, too many families in America have suffered from gun violence. We can respect the rights of responsible gun owners while keeping our communities safe. To build on the success of the lifesaving Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, we will expand and strengthen background checks and close dangerous loopholes in our current laws; repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) to revoke the dangerous legal immunity protections gun makers and sellers now enjoy; and keep weapons of war—such as assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines (LCAM’s)—off our streets. We will fight back against attempts to make it harder for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to revoke federal licenses from law breaking gun dealers, and ensure guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists, intimate partner abusers, other violent criminals, and those with severe mental health issues. There is insufficient research on effective gun prevention policies, which is why the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must have the resources it needs to study gun violence as a public health issue."

Well, I just posted the official Democratic platform above, so it's there for you to read. Bear in mind that "the left" doesn't equate to Democrat, however, but also technically includes some other political parties that may have different ideas.

As for my idea of gun control, I don't honestly care all that much about this issue. It gets a lot of attention because of the "shock and awe" factor but there are far, far more pressing challenges the United States faces. These larger issues feed into the smaller issue of gun violence, so in a sense gun violence gets addressed by doing things like helping people in need and dealing with inequality. That said, I generally agree with the Democratic platform because it includes some fairly common sense measures that are pretty much no-brainers. The only reason they haven't happened is because corporate lobbyists hold far too much power.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know of any serious proposals by Democrats to take all the guns away.

I'm not sure what the left plans on doing. I don't even think the left knows at this point, as they seem to be in quite a bit of disarray.

As for gun control in general, I don't think we need to take everyone's guns away, but the disagreement seems to be regarding how far society should go to protect people from gun violence. Not just in terms of restricting gun ownership, but also other restrictions, such as metal detectors.

In fact, it occurs to me that I'm not so much concerned about so many people out there with guns, but who exactly has a gun at any given location I happen to be. I wish there was some kind of special x-ray glasses where I could go into a store or restaurant and be able to immediately identify who is packing and who isn't.

Ayjaydee

Shotguns, rifles allowed. No short barrels, no handguns, no automatics, 3 shot magazine, test for a license as per driving a car. And learners permit with accompanied licensed adult for age 12 to 16.