• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favourite movie

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm not a movie fanatic, i watch very few movies really.

However, tomorrow i go into hospital for a few hours and envision being bored out of my skull. My idea is to buy a movie to download to my phone and maybe spend a couple of hours passing the time by watching it.

Please, would you be kind enough to name your all time favourite recommendation.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The Matrix Trilogy

Of the three, the first is probably the best. But the two sequels are good, too.

I can't wait til December when Matrix Resurrections is released.

Oberon12

I think the ending of the movie The Usual Suspects is one the best endings ever written and acted. The problem is knowing the ending makes the movie pretty much unwatchable in reruns outside of Kevin Spacey's interrogation scenes.

Tastes vary, so it's hard to judge what others will like. I like The Producers and Raising Arizona for comedies. other probably think they suck. lol

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I really like Yojimbo. If you have seen A Fistful of Dollars you have already seen it. You could alternate scenes between the two movies and not be confused at all.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

However, tomorrow i go into hospital for a few hours and envision being bored out of my skull. My idea is to buy a movie to download to my phone and maybe spend a couple of hours passing the time by watching it.

Please, would you be kind enough to name your all time favourite recommendation.
Good luck at the hospital!

My favourite movies are the Big Lebowski and the Great Escape. Very different movies - for recovering from a medical procedure, the Big Lebowski is probably the better choice.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Good luck at the hospital!

My favourite movies are the Big Lebowski and the Great Escape. Very different movies - for recovering from a medical procedure, the Big Lebowski is probably the better choice.
The Great Escape was one of the first "based upon a true story" movies. I liked how they made it clear that the characters were composites of many real people and that none of the main players represented one prisoner. Many based on a true story movies today end up with a 90% made up tale.

Nimos

What types of movies do you like? Because I would recommend Lord of the rings, but I know that for instance my mother and several others I know, wouldn't even get near it, because they think its completely nonsense with all these fantasy things. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Great Escape was one of the first "based upon a true story" movies. I liked how they made it clear that the characters were composites of many real people and that none of the main players represented one prisoner. Many based on a true story movies today end up with a 90% made up tale.
My father worked as an usher in a movie theatre as his part-time job in high school.

There were lots of movies from that era that he couldn't stand to watch ever again, but the Great Escape held up for him despite the fact that he had to see it over and over.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My father worked as an usher in a movie theatre as his part-time job in high school.

There were lots of movies from that era that he couldn't stand to watch ever again, but the Great Escape held up for him despite the fact that he had to see it over and over.
Thank you for reminding me of another great from that era.

Lawrence of Arabia is truly hard to beat. And another historical movie.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think the ending of the movie The Usual Suspects is one the best endings ever written and acted. The problem is knowing the ending makes the movie pretty much unwatchable in reruns outside of Kevin Spacey's interrogation scenes.

Tastes vary, so it's hard to judge what others will like. I like The Producers and Raising Arizona for comedies. other probably think they suck. lol
Too many good movies on this thread. The best musical number from the Producers:

Just in case someone wants to see it, I don't want to spoil the film.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

One of my favorite scifi flicks:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074812/

ChristineM

Premium Member
What types of movies do you like? Because I would recommend Lord of the rings, but I know that for instance my mother and several others I know, wouldn't even get near it, because they think its completely nonsense with all these fantasy things. :)

I don't really have a liking for any genre. Perhaps better if i name some of the movies i have enjoyed and those not so much.

Amelie, was quirky
The first Matrix was really good, not such the follow ups. @SalixIncendium
I enjoyed Avatar.
The 13th warrier although slated by critics i thought was a fantastic film.
The hundred foot journal, because i know the area it was filmed.
Chocolate, apart from living not far from where it was filmed i really enjoyed the film
Ive howled laughing at all the Terry Pratchett films.
I wasn't keen on the Hobbit (all of them), to me it was the story of a long walk. Although i have happy memories of doing a little work on the first one.
2001 was ok, the later ones not so much
The great escape was ok
Rear window, and north by north west were both watchable more than once
Lucy, meh!
Words on bathroom walls was the last movie i watched, very interesting

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Bridge over the River Kwai, or Harold and Maude. The first one had an ending that made you think, and the second one is really dark and funny, but only if you have an odd sense of humour.

Nimos

I don't really have a liking for any genre. Perhaps better if i name some of the movies i have enjoyed and those not so much.

Amelie, was quirky
The first Matrix was really good, not such the follow ups. @SalixIncendium
I enjoyed Avatar.
The 13th warrier although slated by critics i thought was a fantastic film.
The hundred foot journal, because i know the area it was filmed.
Chocolate, apart from living not far from where it was filmed i really enjoyed the film
Ive howled laughing at all the Terry Pratchett films.
I wasn't keen on the Hobbit (all of them), to me it was the story of a long walk. Although i have happy memories of doing a little work on the first one.
2001 was ok, the later ones not so much
The great escape was ok
Rear window, and north by north west were both watchable more than once
Lucy, meh!
Words on bathroom walls was the last movie i watched, very interesting
If its only for a few hours, I would probably suggest:

The usual suspects - (As someone said, its a movie you can only really enjoy watching one time.)
The Shawshank redemption - A classic movie and might be one of the best ever made in my opinion.
Seven - Is more of a crime mystery movie, but really good as well.
Forrest Gump - Not really a lot to say, its just awesome :D
Interstellar - If you haven't seen it and want some sci fi, which is somewhat realistic.
The Martian - Same as with interstellar.
Heat - Also a classic and probably have the best shooting scene ever made :D
Pan's labyrinth - This is a sort of weird fantasy movie. But in a very good way. Very good as well.
Catch me if you can - Based on a real story, might not be the best movie ever, but I think its good entertainment.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Thanks guys, there are some interesting sounding films there but...

... The hospital has just phoned up, the doctor has covid so my procedure has been postponed

I will look at the trailers for those that could be interesting.

Oh and any more posted below

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Return to Oz.
The Mummy.
The Mummy Returns.

Not many others as I'm not a movie person.