• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your Definition of God?

PearlSeeker

The "God" usually means the Supreme being. "The All-Highest"

A "god" is a being more powerful than human.

I don't know how to define it. My best guess is that God is the personal aspect of all-transcendent Absolute.

In my religion (Catholic Christianity) God is defined as Trinity but mystic tradition leaves more space... I let it be. Don't have to agree with everything.

Deidre

Over the course of a few years to come to where I'm at now, there are a few definitions I'd use to to describe God -- Creator, Savior, my Refuge, Comforter, merciful, powerful, all knowing and seeing, and yet cares about me.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

G-d has Himself defined His own being in Quran in various styles for our easy understanding:

2:256
اَللّٰہُ لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ہُوَۚ اَلۡحَیُّ الۡقَیُّوۡمُ ۬ۚ لَا تَاۡخُذُہٗ سِنَۃٌ وَّ لَا نَوۡمٌ ؕ لَہٗ مَا فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ مَا فِی الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ مَنۡ ذَا الَّذِیۡ یَشۡفَعُ عِنۡدَہٗۤ اِلَّا بِاِذۡنِہٖ ؕ یَعۡلَمُ مَا بَیۡنَ اَیۡدِیۡہِمۡ وَ مَا خَلۡفَہُمۡ ۚ وَ لَا یُحِیۡطُوۡنَ بِشَیۡءٍ مِّنۡ عِلۡمِہٖۤ اِلَّا بِمَا شَآءَ ۚ وَسِعَ کُرۡسِیُّہُ السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ الۡاَرۡضَ ۚ وَ لَا یَـُٔوۡدُہٗ حِفۡظُہُمَا ۚ وَ ہُوَ الۡعَلِیُّ الۡعَظِیۡمُ ﴿۲۵۶﴾

Allah —
  • there is no God but He,
  • the Living,
  • the Self-Subsisting
  • and All-Sustaining.
  • Slumber seizes Him not, nor sleep.
  • To Him belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth.
  • Who is he that will intercede with Him except by His permission?
  • He knows what is before them and what is behind them;
  • and they encompass nothing of His knowledge except what He pleases.
  • His knowledge extends over the heavens and the earth;
  • and the care of them burdens Him not;
  • and He is the High, the Great.
Holy Quran: Read, Listen and Search
What a comprehensive definition, please?
Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

G-d has Himself defined His own being in Quran in various styles for our easy understanding:

112:2
قُلۡ ہُوَ اللّٰہُ اَحَدٌ ۚ﴿۲﴾
Say, ‘He is Allah, the One;
112:3
اَللّٰہُ الصَّمَدُ ۚ﴿۳﴾
‘Allah, the Independent and Besought of all.
112:4
لَمۡ یَلِدۡ ۬ۙ وَ لَمۡ یُوۡلَدۡ ۙ﴿۴﴾
‘He begets not, nor is He begotten;
112:5
وَ لَمۡ یَکُنۡ لَّہٗ کُفُوًا اَحَدٌ ٪﴿۵﴾
‘And there is none like unto Him.’
Holy Quran: Read, Listen and Search

Right?

Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A: What is your definition of God?

Though I don't use the term because it technically means object of worship (I don't believe in the existence of deities and worship), I believe "god" is life itself.

Whatever oomph or vitality that keeps us going
the force or influence that gives something its vitality or strength.
the spirit or energy that animates living creatures; the soul.

B: If you identify with a particular religion or spiritual path, what is its definition of God and does your definition align with that?

I have none

C: If it doesn’t align with the mainstream definition of your chosen religion/ path, what are the differences and how do you reconcile them?

It's irrelevant. The closest that relates to this is energy work, holistic practices, and things like that as well as common sense stuff like taking care of yourself, find passion(s), and maybe a future goal or a present trajectory.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A: What is your definition of God?

B: If you identify with a particular religion or spiritual path, what is its definition of God and does your definition align with that?

C: If it doesn’t align with the mainstream definition of your chosen religion/ path, what are the differences and how do you reconcile them?

My definition (as given in post #45, #46 ) is 100% aligned with the main stream Islam-the Ahmadiyya peaceful Islam as I have given it from Quran- the first and foremost source of guidance of Islam/Muhammad whatever the denomination, please.

Right?

Regards

Last edited: