• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your Definition of God?

danieldemol

Premium Member
A: What is your definition of God?
Its easier to say what my God is not than what it is.

my God is not the creator of the material universe and it is most probably not interactive with the material realms.

It is not omnibenevolent in the sense that it appears to be indifferent to suffering in the material realm but is ultimately benevolent in the sense that it disempowers unvirtuous spirits in the spiritual realm.

It is omnipotent though.

B: If you identify with a particular religion or spiritual path, what is its definition of God and does your definition align with that?
There is no set definition of God in non-religious spirituality, so your question is not applicable.

C: If it doesn’t align with the mainstream definition of your chosen religion/ path, what are the differences and how do you reconcile them?
Again as per my answer to B the question is not applicable.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

B: If you identify with a particular religion or spiritual path, what is its definition of God and does your definition align with that?

C: If it doesn’t align with the mainstream definition of your chosen religion/ path, what are the differences and how do you reconcile them?

A: The supreme being/absolute reality that is formless and without qualities or attributes, known in Advaita Vedanta as Nirguna Brahman. Satcitananda (existence, consciousness, bliss).

B: Yes. If it didn't, I likely wouldn't identify with that religion/spiritual path/philosophy.

C: N/A. See B.

firedragon

Veteran Member

My definition God would be akin to the ontological argument. And the God depicted in the Quran aligns with that.

Suave

Simulated character

A. God is the intelligent extraterrestrial being who invented genetic coding, utilizes base ten math, and understands basic geometry as evident by intelligently designed mathematical patterns found in our genetic code. Eight of the canonical amino acids can be sufficiently defined by the composition of their codon's first and second base nucleotides. The nucleon sum of these amino acids' side chains is 333 (=37 * 3 squared), the sun of their block nucleons (basic core structure) is 592 (=37 * 4 squared), and the sum of their total nucleons is 925 (=37 * 5 squared ). With 37 factored out, this results in 3 squared + 4 squared + 5 squared, which is representative of an Egyptian triangle.

B. n./a.

C. Based on this signal of intelligence left in our genetic code., I suspect our genetic coding was created by a greater intelligence beyond the limited scope of us humans on Earth.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Truth-- that which IS.

I'm within the lunatic left-wing fringe of Catholicism.;)

Within Catholicism, there's plenty of room for personal discernment.

Sorry to be so brief as I gotta go for now, thus I'll take any questions one has-- not that I can answer them though.:shrug:

pearl

First, God cannot be 'defined'. So my 'definition' is God is an incomprehensible Mystery.

Yes.
For if you comprehend, it is not God you comprehend. Augustine

Yazata

I guess that I think of 'God' in two different ways:

1. The highly personalized deity who is a central character in the Bible and Quran. (And the similar sort of character in some of the more monotheistic forms of Hinduism I guess.) I don't personally believe that this sort of God exists as anything more than a character of fiction.

2. The ultimate Source and Explanation for reality itself. The sort of 'God' suggested by the traditional theistic 'proofs': The 'first cause', the 'source of cosmic order', the 'reason why there is something instead of nothing at all'. I don't actually know if such an explanation or source exists, nor do I know how human beings could know anything about it. (It's certainly beyond the scope of science.)

I'm interested in the sort of Buddhism that one finds in the Pali canon, but am not formally a Buddhist. That's where I find my "spiritual path", such as it is. And a monotheistic 'God' doesn't really play a role there.

My #2 concept of 'God' above is more of a philosophical concept than a spiritual-path concept. That being said, I do kind of sense or intuit a great cosmic mystery that surrounds me at every moment and of which I am a part. So sometimes my #2 'God' concept kind of starts to resemble a Hindu-style Brahman or the neoplatonic One. I do feel some attraction to those, even if I can't say that I believe in them as anything more than possibilities. My personal spiritual-path isn't about discovering, realizing or merging with God, however conceived. To the extent that such a God may or may not exist, I'm already a manifestation right now.

Doesn't apply.

Last edited:

Clara Tea

Names changed to protect the guilty:

Cletus Barbuckle whipped an under-aged kidnapped girl.

She pleaded for mercy, her body bloody from past impacts.

I have needs, Cletus says....you are mine.

I have a boyfriend, and I cannot have sex with you.

The beating continues, I am your God.

No, you are not my God, you are a human being....a very cruel human being with a whip.

I have the power, I can hurt you, so I am your God.

The beating stopped, and while crying, the rape began.

But, Cletus was a kind God, because he stopped beating long enough to satisfy his sexual desire.

It sounds like the Stockholm syndrome, in which a kidnapped person identifies with their kidnapper, and actually helps them evade capture and services their every desire. They actually begin to believe that their cruel captors are merciful and beneficent.

Is this also the definition of God? An all-powerful being that chooses not to answer prayers, not save cancer victims, and who took Jesus from the people (the kindest God/person who ever existed). Is this an all-powerful jealous God that flooded the earth (Noah's time), wiped out cities (Sodom), without regard to all of the innocent lives that were lost?

Is this the definition of a God that everyone says is a good and just and kind God?

Is this the God who punished Adam and Eve for tasting the temptation that He (God) put before them?

Is this the God who allowed Jews to be tortured to death in Nazi concentration camps? The same God who allowed the Romans to crucify a huge number of people for little or no crime?

Perhaps the spiritual path ("thou shalt not kill") is a good path, but few choose to go down that "yellow brick road," in the footsteps of Jesus. We know how to be good, but we choose not. For example, "thou shalt not kill" until the 911 attack, then it didn't matter if we had proof of linkage to terrorism, or proof of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), war was declared, 1,000,000 Iraqis killed, and the media intentionally didn't mention a single Iraqi death. The only thing important to the media was how good the powerful nation felt by fighting someone and hoping they were somehow linked to terrorism. The idea was to fight the enemy in their own land.

In the mean time, Religious Right preachers, like Reverend Hagee, advocated praying to Jesus so we would be more effective at killing in war. We listen to highly educated preachers because we believe that their understanding of the scriptures is greater than our own. But, I, for obvious reasons, advocate that we read the scriptures for ourselves and decide what is right and just on our own. We must find God without being misguided by the educated. No one is so blind as he who will not see.

My spiritual path is the same as the path of Jesus. But, the road is very empty....no traffic at all.....no one traveling the same direction that I am.

The difference between my religion and others is that I am a Christian (because I follow the teachings of Christ), and others are not Christian, because, despite proclaiming themselves to be Christian, they don't seem to have a clue about the teachings of Jesus.

I rectify the difference between my faith and theirs is merely an attempt to follow the teachings of Jesus and God, and to think critically.

I believe that it is better to be a good person than to greedily grab a seat in heaven no matter the cost.

Clara Tea

First, God cannot be 'defined'. So my 'definition' is God is an incomprehensible Mystery.

Yes.
For if you comprehend, it is not God you comprehend. Augustine
God can do anything, even define himself.

God can do all possible things, and some impossible things (though those take longer). Therefore, God can be defined as real and not real. Some believe in the unreal more than the real.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Lord of the great light and high seat.
Lord of the Prophets and Angels and sent ones.
Lord of the straight path and means to the light.
The Lord of the great books revealed to humanity.
The True King who rules through his light.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't have a definition of "god" in general.

It seems that gods are objects of worship, but beyond that, I don't think there are any consistent traits across all gods. It tends to be defined by cultural context.

God-with-a-capital-God? I'd say that it's the creator-god of certain monotheistic religions, especially the Abrahamic religions.

These questions don't really apply to me.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I am still working on that one

My Master told me :
"I Am God ...."
"You Are God"
"I know, you don't know"
"Life's Goal is to realize You Are"

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The definition of God is of your own choosing.

Personally I think we live in a continuum, so it's a metaphorical designation if I ever use the term God as a description.

Neuropteron

Hi,
A:
God is the highest title given to a person or idea.
Similar titles are:Lord, Master, King, Queen, doctor etc...
A God can be anyone or anything for a person: eg Science, money , eating,(Phil3:19), even Satan called the God of this system (2 Cor 4:4) and of course a spiritual divinity Baal, Brahma, Buddha, Jehovah, Jesus etc...

B:
My definition of God aligns with my spiritual path, otherwise I wouldn't take that path.

C:
In many cases mainstream religion believes that "God" is God's name.
The result is that worship becomes impersonal since a person does not know which God is being addressed

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't have one.
I tend to assume the definition of the theist I'm conversing with.

And if you do, I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to understand this and not just default to the Abrahamic God as most atheists or agnostics do.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
And if you do, I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to understand this and not just default to the Abrahamic God as most atheists or agnostics do.
Well, I certainly do default to the abrahamic god when conversing with a jew, christian or muslim.

But even then......... In my experience, asking 20 "abrahamics" to define their god, usually yields +15 different definitions.