• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your default position when you're a baby?

What is your default position when you're a baby?

• Total voters

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "other". This sort of simplifies a philosophical debate about whether religion is an innate idea or if we are born as a blank slate. I'd vote for blank slate but that is not the same as atheism because we do not have the cognitive capacity to think about it or talk about it.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.
According to Holy Quran:
[7:173] And when thy Lord brings forth from Adam’s children — out of their loins — their offspring and makes them witnesses against their own selves by saying: ‘Am I not your Lord?’ They say, ‘Yea, we do bear witness.’ This He does lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection, ‘We were surely unaware of this.’

So I believe a child comes with consciousness about God and he / she is fully innocent.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/?page=848&region=E1&CR=EN,E2

I voted other as neither term is applicable to a baby. They both relate to epistemic positions that babies are incapable of holding.

The default is that babies lack the cognitive abilities to take philosophical positions on any issue, and labelling them as holding such philosophical positions on any issue is both silly and wrong.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I voted other as neither term is applicable to a baby. They both relate to epistemic positions that babies are incapable of holding.

The default is that babies lack the cognitive abilities to take philosophical positions on any issue, and labelling them as holding such philosophical positions on any issue is both silly and wrong.
(and here we go again :rolleyes:)
When did atheism become a position? It's more a lack of position, isn't it?

When did atheism become a position? It's more a lack of position, isn't it?

It always described a position. More recently some people have decided they would prefer to create a new etymology for the word and turn it into a non-position because it suits their ideological aims.

I personally prefer not to use the recent definition as it sucks.

As this poll was asking for people's opinions then I explained mine.

Other people may use whichever definition they want when they give their opinions.

HonestJoe

Since (as far as we’re aware) babies don’t believe in any god or gods, they’re weak atheists. It’s a fairly simple definition only make controversial because some people have chosen to see (or chosen to create the false image of) atheism being some active campaign against religion (often a specific religion) rather than just a passive characteristic individuals may or may not have.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Since the only God that can possibly exist values choice or personal decisions the only likely default position of a baby is the ability to find god. Generally more than 90% do so it works pretty well.