• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with Trump?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
He should have left them there to pay for their crimes .. to intentionally steal while guests deserves the maximum penalty. Or is this perhaps part of their normal culture..

The problem with leaving college athletes who have a contractual obligation to a prestigious university at a country like China is, it would not only seem disingenuous but it would be a political nightmare for him and his outlook. Now, I could spin this conversation as to why the country would want three young college athletes to serve there sentence on foreign soil but that is another conversation. Here is my question. Why is it ok for three young college athletes to do 10 years hard time but not Kenneth Bae who was accused of preaching against North Korean government? I mean at the end of the day these are still young privilege kids and unfortunately they will make mistakes like this because they are of an elitist class. It doesn't make it right but this is the nature of the beast.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You may have a point. Next let's start a thread about the ungratefulness of a father whose son may have been spared multiple years in a Chinese prison by a immature benefactor. While we're at it, let's start a sub-thread about the same ungrateful father who believes his son was entitled to break the Chinese law.
Nothing here has anything to do with the question at hand. Trump didn't go after the father who was ungrateful. He went after the students, kids, who were in fact grateful and did thank him. How can you defend what Trump said? You really think the kids should have been left in Chinese prison simply because one of their parents said something stupid?

Shouldn't the President be at least a bit mature and just ignore Bell's comments? Or, at the very least, say something directed at Bell instead of at the kids?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
While Trump is handling this slight badly, I didn't infer from Trump's question
that "they should have been left in jail". It struck me as more of a challenge
to the father's ungrateful assessment of Trump's role.

If these kids did actually shoplift in China (which seems to be the case),
how utterly ignorant this would be....
- They're in an oppressive foreign country with a poor civil rights record.
- Going there with celebrity status, they're representing their home country.
- China has its share of racism, & this exacerbates it.
- Stealing is wrong.
Slightly badly?! Come one. All he had to do was ignore the father and move on. The kids thanked him, so why did he attack them?

This has nothing to do with the question at hand (although I do agree with you). Trump lashed out at the kids for something that one of their parent's said. I don't defend Bell or anything that he said, but why on earth would Trump go after the kids rather than just attacking the father himself?

Do you chalk it up to pure stupidity on Trump's part? Or do you just let Trump off the hook because "that's just the way our President is"?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
So let me get this straight, some people go to another country and break their laws, a person with political pull gets them off and somehow he is the bad guy in all this.
Did I get that right or did I miss something? Is there such a thing as American privilege?
You missed a lot, apparently. The students thanked Trump and were grateful. Then Trump lashed out at the kids, saying that he should have left them in jail because of something one of their father's said. That is about as pathetic, immature as it gets. At the very least Trump could have easily either ignored the father or left the kids out of his response. There is no defending Trump's tweet. He attacked kids for something one of their parent's did.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Hold on there, bub...you changed my meaning entirely by changing
a noun to a similarly spelled adjective, ie, "slight" to "slightly".
.I'll let you re-read my post, & fix that question before proceeding.
My mistake. I misread that.

He did handle that slight badly.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
You missed a lot, apparently. The students thanked Trump and were grateful. Then Trump lashed out at the kids, saying that he should have left them in jail because of something one of their father's said. That is about as pathetic, immature as it gets. At the very least Trump could have easily either ignored the father or left the kids out of his response. There is no defending Trump's tweet. He attacked kids for something one of their parent's did.

So what if they were grateful and so what if he tweeted something some people found disagreeable, at the end of the day three college educated adult idiots committed a crime in another country and were spared their possible punishment of 10 years hard labour through Trumps intervention. This all seems like mountains out of molehills

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Slightly badly?! Come one. All he had to do was ignore the father and move on. The kids thanked him, so why did he attack them?

This has nothing to do with the question at hand (although I do agree with you). Trump lashed out at the kids for something that one of their parent's said. I don't defend Bell or anything that he said, but why on earth would Trump go after the kids rather than just attacking the father himself?

Do you chalk it up to pure stupidity on Trump's part? Or do you just let Trump off the hook because "that's just the way our President is"?

So he lashed out at the kids...fine, condemn him. No problem. Now how about a little parity. Condemn the person who stupidly lashed out at the person who may have saved his son from an inhuman prison sentence. The real problem here, as I see it, is that there are those who will snatch any crumb available to condemn Trump (whether he deserves it or not) but will completely ignore the rest of the loaf.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So he lashed out at the kids...fine, condemn him. No problem. Now how about a little parity. Condemn the person who stupidly lashed out at the person who may have saved his son from an inhuman prison sentence. The real problem here, as I see it, is that there are those who will snatch any crumb available to condemn Trump (whether he deserves it or not) but will completely ignore the rest of the loaf.
Well, Trump did deserve a spanking for this one.
It seems all parties involved did....except Xi.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
at the end of the day three college educated adult idiots committed a crime in another country and were spared their possible punishment of 10 years hard labour through Trumps intervention.
True. But, no one is criticizing him for that. He is being criticized, and rightly so, for his extremely stupid tweet saying that he should have left the kids in Chinese prison simply because one of their father's wasn't grateful. The President is so easily drawn into saying something stupid (and permanent), which is an extremely dangerous characteristic for any leader.

At the end of the day, people are criticizing Trump for responding to a silly comment from a known instigator in such a profoundly dumb, uncivil, and unpresidential way. He should have just ignored it.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Actually, even the mainstream media (and myself) have explained that Ball is an idiot known for making dumb comments. But, the President MUST ABSOLUTELY be held to a higher standard than some basketball father. It's fine to point out that Ball was in the wrong as well. But, all in all, he just isn't worth condemning ... he's a nobody who is trying to get attention. Trump, otoh, is the President. Every word he says matters, and Twitter is official Presidential communication now. So, his words carry a lot more weight.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I hope this finally teaches Trump that, if he isn't careful with the wording of his tweets, he will welcome avoidable condemnation. He just needs to take a minute and think to himself, "is saying that I should have left them in China the best way of getting my point across?" I think that is something we all figured out in 8th grade.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
What all these Trump supporters need to understand is that the PRESIDENT of the United States is held to a higher standard of behavior since he literally represents our country.

Even if the father was ungrateful he isn't going to be held to the standard of the PRESIDENT. Or am I living in a fairy tale world? Trump has always gotten in fights with random people because his damn ego is so big. Remember this is the President who claimed they wouldn't thank him at all in a preemptive passive aggressive tweet hours later when they were still on their flight out of China.

Guess what? They did.

Why on earth would I hold such a person to a higher standard? A person with the power of a nuclear weapon should not be held to a higher standard because no buffoon would want such a weapon within their power?

I understand your conception of the president as somebody like the pope but the president is still not a king. Obama tried that shtick and it got nowhere despite his conceding to the racism and lack of insight of his own party. But I cannot fathom such a shtick going on in this day and age. Clinton ended that era the minute we realized he was a rapist and living thug-life on his own position.

I find many flaws in Trumps personality but his blatant acknowledge concerning the affair in China regarding the players is just brutally honest. When Trump is honest he, is a scoundrel but when he is a scoundrel he is being honest. My only concern is people will not analyze something with a principle take.