• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who smoke cigarettes?

sovietchild

What is wrong with those people who smoke cigarettes? If smoking tobacco relaxes one, then is it like a drug? The more you take it, the more you need it?

Quran says:

They have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not hear.”

"Don’t make your own hands the cause of your own destruction"

“Do not throw yourself into destruction”

Facts:

Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States, imposing a terrible toll in health, lives and dollars on families, businesses and government. Tobacco kills more than 480,000 people annually – more than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders and suicides combined.

Tobacco costs the U.S. approximately $170 billion in health care expenditures and more than $150 billion in lost productivity each year.

While the United States has made major progress against tobacco use, 40 million Americans still smoke, and about 2,500 kids try their first cigarette each day.

Wiki says:

Religious views on smoking vary widely. Indigenous peoples of the Americas have traditionally used tobacco for religious purposes, while Abrahamic and other religions have only been introduced to the practice in recent times due to the European colonization of the Americas in the 16th century.

Tobacco smoking was introduced to Europe from the New World. Therefore, these religions do not address it in their foundational teachings; however, modern practitioners have offered interpretations of their faith with regard to smoking.
Religious views on smoking - Wikipedia

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
What is wrong with those people who smoke cigarettes? If smoking tobacco relaxes one, then is it like a drug? The more you take it, the more you need it?

As surprising as this might be to you... this is a thread I can actually get behind. Smoking is a disgusting habit that adversely affects the health of people not indulging in it.

buddhist

Nothing.

They perhaps value the momentary joy (mental health) they find through smoking more than longer-term physical health.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Charedim not giving a damn on Purim

slide_338321_3447826_free.jpg

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
One of my favorite sayings of late is that "Smokers deserve more kindness and respect. We are a dying breed."

*happily puffs on his cigarette*

*cough, splutter, cough*

I meant to do that....

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I think like many things, it's a good thing in moderation. It reduces stress yes, which in itself has many benefits, but also keeps weight down

, smoking has decreased sharply in the last couple of decades in the US, and people scratch their heads wondering why obesity and diabetes have skyrocketed in the same time- which takes the greater toll? I'm not sure- it's a good question

We also wonder why southern Europeans stay skinny on a Mediterranean diet of pasta, oil, bread, - they all smoke like chimneys...

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think like many things, it's a good thing in moderation. It reduces stress yes, which in itself has many benefits, but also keeps weight down

, smoking has decreased sharply in the last couple of decades in the US, and people scratch their heads wondering why obesity and diabetes have skyrocketed in the same time- which takes the greater toll? I'm not sure- it's a good question

We also wonder why southern Europeans stay skinny on a Mediterranean diet of pasta, oil, bread, - they all smoke like chimneys...
Does anyone actually, seriously believe this? Think that smoking correlates to lower obesity rates between US and Europe and not the much more active lifestyle, portion control, and integration of more whole foods those nations have?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Probably because chimneys are not fat either.

However, you have a good point. Fighting smoke, while advertising family package triple burgers with fries for a few dollars, looks strange.

Ciao

- viole

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Does anyone actually, seriously believe this? Think that smoking correlates to lower obesity rates between US and Europe and not the much more active lifestyle, portion control, and integration of more whole foods those nations have?

Believe it or not I used to use smoking as a tool to loose weight rather then eating lunch I would smoke a cigar or a pipe during that 1/2 hour. I wouldn't feel like eating until dinner time. If I didn't smoke I would crave food and get headaches.

I have long since given up smoking and long since given up getting under 200lbs.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I thinks it's certainly part of the equation. I travel to Europe a bit and I agree with you there on portion sizes tending to be smaller- then again- the people are smaller in places like Spain also.

but I don't really see the more active lifestyle

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Believe it or not I used to use smoking as a tool to loose weight rather then eating lunch I would smoke a cigar or a pipe during that 1/2 hour. I wouldn't feel like eating until dinner time. If I didn't smoke I would crave food and get headaches.

I have long since given up smoking and long since given up getting under 200lbs.
I did the same thing, except it was drink more water to curb cravings and eat a higher protein and fiber foods that last longer for me. I'm at 206lbs now (down 76lbs) and still falling! It can (for most people I think!] be done. Though lord knows it's not easy.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

Yup, I gave up smoking about 15 years ago for my wife's sake and instantly put on weight, the correlation is obvious, but then she also made me give up tasty food ... :(

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I thinks it's certainly part of the equation. I travel to Europe a bit and I agree with you there on portion sizes tending to be smaller- then again- the people are smaller in places like Spain also.

but I don't really see the more active lifestyle
Gas tax, availability of pedestrian zones encourage more self-powered commuting and there's more sports involvement on average.
There is also heavy tax on sodas, which was huge for me and my weight loss.