• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with the Quran?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The translations I've studied - painstakingly translated over the course of thousands of hours of scholarship - paint a picture of a tribally oriented, wildly intolerant, fear-based ideology. That and it's not very well written.
All wrong conclusions. Please illustrated one's claims one by one.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I read about a theory that the original Koran was written in aramaic.
Later this was forgotten and when the Koran was transcribed into arabic language the writters misunderstud many words and sentences.
For instance the thing with the 72 virgins in paradise is a misunderstanding from the original aramaic where it speaks about white grapes.
Please quote from Quran where "72 virgins in paradise" have been mentioned.
Regards

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
"turns black into white"

I don't get one. Please paraphrase what I have colored in magenta.
Regards

Makes use of speech and/or wording to portray something that is evil/bad as something holy/good.

Edit: I might also mention that it works both directions, the book also turns white into black.

IndigoStorm

All infidels must die ... Muslim girls are simply incubators and the 72 virgin thing tells me all I need to know about the Koran.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
All wrong conclusions. Please illustrated one's claims one by one.
Regards

Hi paarsurrey,

We've been over this ground before. I value parsimony and you do not seem to. A parsimonious reading of the book leads me to my conclusions. My understanding is that Muslims have to construct an elaborate and complex context in order to interpret the Quran differently than the interpretation that a parsimonious, objective reading would produce.

I think that the need to establish this elaborate, complex, outside context demonstrates that the book isn't what Muslims claim it to be. But I know you disagree.

buddhist

Quran's original text is in Arabic, but it has been translated in many languages. One could study it. Please
Regards
It has been said: "the Quran has remained fixed in Arabic, the language in which it was originally revealed. It was believed that translating the Quran into any other language would violate the divine nature of the text. Translations were done, of course. But to this day, non-Arabic versions of the Quran are considered interpretations of the Quran. Unless the original Arabic verses are embedded on the page, it cannot technically be called a Quran."

I cannot read Arabic, so I cannot read it.

sovietchild

It has been said: "the Quran has remained fixed in Arabic, the language in which it was originally revealed. It was believed that translating the Quran into any other language would violate the divine nature of the text. Translations were done, of course. But to this day, non-Arabic versions of the Quran are considered interpretations of the Quran. Unless the original Arabic verses are embedded on the page, it cannot technically be called a Quran."

I cannot read Arabic, so I cannot read it.

How many Muslims know how to read Arabic?

whirlingmerc

I did like that it appealed to Jews to check their Torah's and Christians to check their gospels

It didn't seem to unfold as the Bible does, progressively showing God as creator, judge, covenant friend, lawgiver, corrector and in the fullness of time sending Jesus. It jumped too quickly into opposing idols without dwelling on who God is first. The golden calf is not till about 72 chapters in the Bible but the first sura which surprised me

Also for views of heaven the Bible has lots of worship and singing and prayer glorifying God in heaven. Where might I find that in the Koran?

Last edited: