• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with smashing the idols?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Because the offending issue is the destruction of cultural icons of gods, and the subsequent claim of "false belief." Not political figures and icons.

QuestioningMind

One of us is a phenomenal hypocrite.

It sounds like you are talking about USA and NATO when they evaded Iraq, because they chose to invade the country because they found it offensive.

I have a question for you Q. do you justify the actions of Ukrainian people when they chose to smash all the Lenin statues?

Oh, and we should end this right now. Okay? Because when a rebel comes to your town, it smashes any statues left behind. Understood? When USA came they smashed the statues in Iraq, when ISIS came they smashed the statues in Syria, when western Europeans came to eastern Europe they smashed the statues of Soviet Union.

Silly sovietchild... in order for me to be a hypocrite about Iraq I would have to first suggest that the US was right to invade, however I have ALREADY stated I believe it was a HUGE mistake that could not be justified. I believe that invading other people's lands and destroying their property is WRONG, because I know that I wouldn't want MY land invaded or MY property destroyed. You on the other hand think that invading other people's land and destroying their property is OKAY, but in the next breath complain about the invasion of Iraq. Do you even know what a hypocrite is? I suggest that you simply look in a mirror to find out.

QuestioningMind

How so? They tried to label me as a hypocrite, because I support the destruction of Persian statues.

You ARE a hypocrite, because you support the destruction of property that does not belong to you, yet you would be outraged if anyone offended by your house chose to tear it down without your permission. YOU labeled YOURSELF a hypocrite with your own words.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The Kaaba was owned:
  1. Equally by Muhammad and the Meccans who were all descendants of Abraham and Ishmael, who had built this worship house for worship of ONE God, Muhammad was even more entitled to it because he wanted to restore it to its original position. Abraham and Ishmael never put any idols in it. Rather than going to other temples and emptying them from the idols , Abraham thought it proper, for peace, to build a house of worship of his own where his progeny could worship ONE God. So, Muhammad had every right to empty it from the idols that were put later on in the house , for which he gave reasonable and brilliant arguments to the Meccans.
Please
Regards

QuestioningMind

The Kaaba was owned:
  1. Equally by Muhammad and the Meccans who were all descendants of Abraham and Ishmael, who had built this worship house for worship of ONE God, Muhammad was even more entitled to it because he wanted to restore it to its original position. Abraham and Ishmael never put any idols in it. Rather than going to other temples and emptying them from the idols , Abraham thought it proper, for peace, to build a house of worship of his own where his progeny could worship ONE God. So, Muhammad had every right to empty it from the idols that were put later on in the house , for which he gave reasonable and brilliant arguments to the Meccans.
Please
Regards

Just wondering... do you support ISIS in their destruction of ancient artifacts that are invaluable to the understanding of human history?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Just wondering... do you support ISIS in their destruction of ancient artifacts that are invaluable to the understanding of human history?
I don't support them. I am just smashing the concept that it is essential to smash the statues , idols and artifacts. Please
Regards

gnostic

The Lost One
The Kaaba was owned:
Please
Regards
Muhammad didn't privately owned the Kaaba, before he fled into exile in 622, so he had no rights to dictate who put what in and around the Kaaba.

And Muhammad only claimed that he was descendant of Ishmael, but there are no family tree that linked Ishmael to Muhammad, until after his proclamation of being his descendants.

And a lot of legends surrounding Ishmael, were fabricated by Muhammad.

Second, there are no evidences that this structure of Kaaba was built in the 2nd millennium BCE Bronze Age.

gnostic

The Lost One
Do you support the destruction of Soviet Union statues?
Again, you are not paying attention, sovietchild.

You thread is talking about destroying idols. Not all statues are idols and not all idols are statues.

An idol could be object, like a rock, a tree.

Statues of political leaders, are not idols.

You are trying to distract us, by mentioning statues from fnorth Korea and now the former Soviet Union, which have nothing to do with any religion. You keep moving the goalpost.

This is your desperation, because your original argument has always being weak, so you are trying to focus it away from Muhammad, which also revealed your dishonesty.

sovietchild

Again, you are not paying attention, sovietchild.

You thread is talking about destroying idols. Not all statues are idols and not all idols are statues.

An idol could be object, like a rock, a tree.

Statues of political leaders, are not idols.

You are trying to distract us, by mentioning statues from fnorth Korea and now the former Soviet Union, which have nothing to do with any religion. You keep moving the goalpost.

This is your desperation, because your original argument has always being weak, so you are trying to focus it away from Muhammad, which also revealed your dishonesty.

They brought up ISIS and destruction of Persian statues. Right? Who actually moved the goal posts?

And, just to let you know something. Soviet Union regime forced people to give flowers (gifts) to statues.

Last edited:

sovietchild

No I do not. Statues of Lenin are a part of history and I do not condone anyone willfully destroying historical artifacts. However I believe that the Russian people had every right to remove them from public display, but they should have been preserved for their historical significance.

So, you don't justify the actions of Ukrainian people destroying Lenin statues across the country? You think they should put those statues in one big historical place?

No matter how much I don't like the new Ukrainian government, I fully support their actions destroying those statues. And, no matter how much I like the rebels, I do not support their actions wanting to keep those statues.

I used to live by Lenin statue. The new regime have taken the statue down, but they put another one in place.

Google Maps

.....And, it looks like they continue to present gifts to statues.

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

So, you don't justify the actions of Ukrainian people destroying Lenin statues across the country? You think they should put those statues in one big historical place?

No matter how much I don't like the new Ukrainian government, I fully support their actions destroying those statues. And, no matter how much I like the rebels, I do not support their actions wanting to keep those statues.

I used to live by Lenin statue. The new regime have taken the statue down, but they put another one in place.

Google Maps

.....And, it looks like they continue to present gifts to statues.

Yes I think they should preserve statues of Lenin in the Ukraine as a reminder that there was once a time when someone like Lenin had enough influence to have his statues erected everywhere. If you erase all evidence of bad things that happened then people can never learn from the mistakes of the past. That's why I think that preserving historical relics is so important.

gnostic

The Lost One
History is not about recording only the good things that happened, it is about recording both good and bad.

If you are only record the good and ignore the bad, then that amounts to the same as propaganda, which is dishonest tactics.

As painful or shameful as some memories may be, ignoring the past because you don't like it, like QuestioningMind said, you cannot learn from past mistakes, so you are doomed to repeat it in the future.

That's the consequences of ignoring part of history, or attempting to re-write history.

Quantum Ape

You're insulting the religion of others. Even though I'm not a Christian anymore, I won't damage or discard my crucifixes, rosaries, holy cards, etc. out of respect for the holy objects of another religion. Just like I washed my hands and pronounced "Bismillah" before touching a Qur'an.

It's the difference between a totalitarian mindset and a pluralistic mindset; showing respect for others or disrespecting them.

You don't have to burn a cross in front of a Christian.. but if you wanted to smash one in your back yard that's perfectly fine and disrespectful to no one.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
How is presenting gifts to statues off topic? Wracking those statues seems fine to me.
You're all over the place.

You asked who shifted the goalpost when it was mentioned that ISIS was destroying statues in Persia. YOU shifted the topic when you started going on about political statues.

Presenting offerings to idols is not relevant to that specific topic.

You have no regard at all, and are one of the most disrespectful people I have ever met. Such impartiality to the destruction of culture by zealous thugs invalidates any and all complaints by you when your religion is slighted, targeted, or victimized.