• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with smashing the idols?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Unless he made the idols those were still not his property whether sold or not. That is called destruction of property aka property damage. Destroying others property and violence involved shows that the person is uncivilized.
Worse still, they were his father's craft; their livelihood. Not only did he destroy the idols, he tried to blame the destruction on another idol - showing his ignorance of an idol's role in worship and belligerence to the faith of his people. What a horrible role model...

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Prophet Ibrahim lived in a community of polytheists who worshipped idols. In fact, his father too was a well-known idolater. Having seen his father manufacture and worship idols, Prophet Ibrahim, from a very young age, couldn’t understand how people could consider these non-living objects as their gods! People would offer food to and seek forgiveness from those lifeless structures!

Prophet Ibrahim protested against such practices and rituals many a times, each time receiving reprimand from his fellowmen and anger from his father. Yet, Prophet Ibrahim insisted that stereotypical practices such as idol worship were of no use, and humans did not need to bow down before lifeless objects.
What of the idol in Mecca that all Muslims worship every year ?.

Shad

Veteran Member
Worse still, they were his father's craft; their livelihood. Not only did he destroy the idols, he tried to blame the destruction on another idol - showing his ignorance of an idol's role in worship and belligerence to the faith of his people. What a horrible role model...

To us he is a horrible role model. For the fanatic monotheist that has no respect for any other religion nor even people in general he is a paragon of virtue. It is monotheist fascism warping the moral compass of billions. Yet few of those that accept such a person would actually commit similar acts. When they do said believers scramble to find excuses such as mental illness. Which call into question if such an excuse should be applied as equally to good old Abe.

Food for thought

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What of the idol in Mecca that all Muslims worship every year ?.
There is no idol in Mecca now, all the idols were removed by the Meccan non-believers toward the end of Muhammad's life.
The Meccans were from the line of Abraham through his elder son Ishmael. Abraham built this House of Worship of ONE-God, later the Meccans out of superstition put idols in it wrongly. When their superstition ended, they removed these idols and restored it to its original form or brilliant status. OK? Please
Regards

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Namaste,

Actually the purpose of this was to highlight the idea of "smashing idols", is not a act which is isolated and is almost always accompanied with violence towards the people who the "idols", belong to.

Why i provided Hinduism as a example is because it is probably in my estimation the only largest and still active tradition that uses images as a method of worship, and even historically i can confidently claim that the Indian subcontinent has been the largest (as in number of people) worshipers of images in Human History, so they are the prime targets even till today of religions that advocate for no image worship.

If we go back 1500 years ago, then how India was looking like and how many structures were there?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Seriousness demands some effort to honor the reality of fact, as well as some respect for one's own mental faculties and those of the people one communicates with.

I believe the evidence and not the stories, The ancient Churches still exist in the Muslim world
and many Jews and Christians are still living in the Muslim world and hence I don't believe that
the others were forced to accept Islam.

Kirran

Premium Member
I believe the evidence and not the stories, The ancient Churches still exist in the Muslim world
and many Jews and Christians are still living in the Muslim world and hence I don't believe that
the others were forced to accept Islam.

Some =/= all.

I personally know people who have fled Muslim-majority countries because of religious persecution.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Some =/= all.

I personally know people who have fled Muslim-majority countries because of religious persecution.

That's happening now and even smashing the ancient idols never done by Muslims before
otherwise how to explain that such Idols had survived till today.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That's happening now and even smashing the ancient idols never done by Muslims before
If something was smashed in ancient times, how would we know? That's kind of the whole point of smashing them to begin with.
Stop pretending things didn't happen, it's insulting to those who had to live through it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The claim that those who commit such crimes are not true Muslims wears thinner every single day.

While attempts at saying that the destruction has not been completed yet do not even qualify as an argument.

Buddhas of Bamiyan - Wikipedia

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If something was smashed in ancient times, how would we know? That's kind of the whole point of smashing them to begin with.
Stop pretending things didn't happen, it's insulting to those who had to live through it.

The evidence is that the idols was still existing, why they didn't smash them if they were
targeting them, why they didn't destroy the ancient churches in Syria and Palestine and
other areas in the Muslim lands.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The claim that those who commit such crimes are not true Muslims wears thinner every single day.

While attempts at saying that the destruction has not been completed yet do not even qualify as an argument.

Buddhas of Bamiyan - Wikipedia

I am not talking about true or false Muslims but I am talking about evidences, if you don't
believe the evidences then you're free not to, but that doesn't make you right.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you think of evidences as kind of chutzpah then arguing with you will be useless, thanks
And that would connect with something of the real world, how?

The point is that we have evidences that you think of it as useless, so what
you want to believe, the stories against Muslims, but sorry, the evidences
isn't with you.

To call that "evidences" is more chutzspah than my system can handle. Even imagining it makes me feel weird.