1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What is wrong with smashing the idols?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by sovietchild, Jan 27, 2017.

1. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Religion:
    Pi π
    Like Raging Pagan said...
    ...Saddam was a dictator. He persecuted and committed genocide on the Shiite city, when he used nerve gas on them.

Are you really that surprise that Shiite pull down his statues?

The man was a butcher. His sons were no better. They terrorised their own citizens. The statues here, of Saddam, had nothing to do with religion, but about tyrant's own powers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. A Greased Scotsman

A Greased Scotsman THIS is a sword. And it's bigger than yours!

Ratings:
    +4,628
    Religion:
    Pagan - drifting towards Daoism
    And they left such a lasting impression on the European psyche that their name has become a byword for pointless destruction.

3. sovietchild

sovietchild Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +514
    So, its okay for western Europeans to destroy Soviet Union statues, but its not okay for ISIS to destroy Persian statues? New government in Ukraine have killed many people, destroyed many statues, and renamed many cities.

#723 sovietchild, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. The Ragin Pagan

The Ragin Pagan Мы дети Богов

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Heathenry (Norse and Slavic Paganism)
    You're shifting the point, soviet. Quite a dishonest tactic.

• Like Like x 2
  5. von bek

von bek Following the Wayfinder

Ratings:
    +783
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheism
    What is wrong with those people who cannot admit to themselves they need a Brazilian vacation?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +514
    How so? They tried to label me as a hypocrite, because I support the destruction of Persian statues.

7. The Ragin Pagan

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Because the offending issue is the destruction of cultural icons of gods, and the subsequent claim of "false belief." Not political figures and icons.

8. QuestioningMind

QuestioningMind Active Member

Ratings:
    +240
    Silly sovietchild... in order for me to be a hypocrite about Iraq I would have to first suggest that the US was right to invade, however I have ALREADY stated I believe it was a HUGE mistake that could not be justified. I believe that invading other people's lands and destroying their property is WRONG, because I know that I wouldn't want MY land invaded or MY property destroyed. You on the other hand think that invading other people's land and destroying their property is OKAY, but in the next breath complain about the invasion of Iraq. Do you even know what a hypocrite is? I suggest that you simply look in a mirror to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. QuestioningMind

Ratings:
    +240
    You ARE a hypocrite, because you support the destruction of property that does not belong to you, yet you would be outraged if anyone offended by your house chose to tear it down without your permission. YOU labeled YOURSELF a hypocrite with your own words.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,013
    The Kaaba was owned:
    1. Equally by Muhammad and the Meccans who were all descendants of Abraham and Ishmael, who had built this worship house for worship of ONE God, Muhammad was even more entitled to it because he wanted to restore it to its original position. Abraham and Ishmael never put any idols in it. Rather than going to other temples and emptying them from the idols , Abraham thought it proper, for peace, to build a house of worship of his own where his progeny could worship ONE God. So, Muhammad had every right to empty it from the idols that were put later on in the house , for which he gave reasonable and brilliant arguments to the Meccans.
    Please
    Regards

11. The Ragin Pagan

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Religion:
    Disregarding that this is opinion; in this case it wasn't owned "equally" then, was it? The rationalizations that you people have for the wanton destruction of other's property.

12. QuestioningMind

Ratings:
    +240
    Just wondering... do you support ISIS in their destruction of ancient artifacts that are invaluable to the understanding of human history?

13. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I don't support them. I am just smashing the concept that it is essential to smash the statues , idols and artifacts. Please
    Regards

14. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +514
  15. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Religion:
    Pi π
    Muhammad didn't privately owned the Kaaba, before he fled into exile in 622, so he had no rights to dictate who put what in and around the Kaaba.

And Muhammad only claimed that he was descendant of Ishmael, but there are no family tree that linked Ishmael to Muhammad, until after his proclamation of being his descendants.

And a lot of legends surrounding Ishmael, were fabricated by Muhammad.

Second, there are no evidences that this structure of Kaaba was built in the 2nd millennium BCE Bronze Age.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Religion:
    Pi π
    Again, you are not paying attention, sovietchild.

You thread is talking about destroying idols. Not all statues are idols and not all idols are statues.

An idol could be object, like a rock, a tree.

Statues of political leaders, are not idols.

You are trying to distract us, by mentioning statues from fnorth Korea and now the former Soviet Union, which have nothing to do with any religion. You keep moving the goalpost.

This is your desperation, because your original argument has always being weak, so you are trying to focus it away from Muhammad, which also revealed your dishonesty.

• Like Like x 4
  17. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +514
    They brought up ISIS and destruction of Persian statues. Right? Who actually moved the goal posts?

And, just to let you know something. Soviet Union regime forced people to give flowers (gifts) to statues.

#737 sovietchild, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  18. QuestioningMind

Ratings:
    +240
    No I do not. Statues of Lenin are a part of history and I do not condone anyone willfully destroying historical artifacts. However I believe that the Russian people had every right to remove them from public display, but they should have been preserved for their historical significance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +514
    So, you don't justify the actions of Ukrainian people destroying Lenin statues across the country? You think they should put those statues in one big historical place?

No matter how much I don't like the new Ukrainian government, I fully support their actions destroying those statues. And, no matter how much I like the rebels, I do not support their actions wanting to keep those statues.

I used to live by Lenin statue. The new regime have taken the statue down, but they put another one in place.

Google Maps

.....And, it looks like they continue to present gifts to statues.

#739 sovietchild, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  20. QuestioningMind

Ratings:
    +240
    Yes I think they should preserve statues of Lenin in the Ukraine as a reminder that there was once a time when someone like Lenin had enough influence to have his statues erected everywhere. If you erase all evidence of bad things that happened then people can never learn from the mistakes of the past. That's why I think that preserving historical relics is so important.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1