1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What is wrong with smashing the idols?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by sovietchild, Jan 27, 2017.

1. sovietchild

sovietchild Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +518
    So, If I destroy my cross into pieces and throw it away, lets stay, am I a sociopath?

2. The Emperor of Mankind

The Emperor of Mankind Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Ratings:
    +6,479
    Religion:
    Greek Paganism
    'Muhammad is a moral exemplar for all humankind but the American infidels invaded Iraq so all the ****ty things Muhammad did are okay.'

• Like Like x 1
  3. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +6,661
    Religion:
    Pi π
    If the cross belong to you, as it is your property, then you are not a sociopath.

If you re-read my replies, you would see that I wrote you are sociopath, ONLY IF you destroy properties that YOU DON'T OWN!!!!!

You are not reading my reply properly, so you are taking my post out-of-context.

What you do with own things, you can do what you like. What you do that don't belong to you, you are breaking the law.

Do you even know what sociopath mean? It mean not being able to distinguish right from wrong, and when a sociopath break the law or do something immoral, a sociopath wouldn't see it as "doing wrong".

#543 gnostic, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +518
    Oh okay that's what I thought

"The only people who think it is good to destroy properties (regardless if the properties are religious or not) that DO NOT belong to them are sociopaths and criminals. It doesn't matter if the people are Muslims or not Muslims, it is breaking the law."

5. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +518
    What about American invasion? What do you think of that?

6. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +6,661
    Religion:
    Pi π
    I have said I don't support that war.
    You seem to not understand what I have written, so I made sure it is extra BIG, to highlight my point of view.

You are going off topic. What does war in Iraq have to do with smashing idols.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +518

Okay, How about Americans ways? What do you think of them? Are they sociopaths and criminals?

#547 sovietchild, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +6,661
    Religion:
    Pi π
    Look, sovietchild.

I am agnostic and I don't follow any religion. I know more about Christianity than I do about Islam, because I was brought up in neighborhood, where most of kids in schools were either Catholics, Orthodox or Protestants.

And even though I don't follow religion, I would not destroy statues, idols or any religious buildings. Those properties don't belong to me, so it would be wrong for me to destroy any of it, because I don't believe or follow those religions.

If agnostic person, like me, can recognise it would be wrong to destroy that don't belong to me, then why can't a law-biding Muslim, such as yourself, that it is wrong to smash property that don't belong to you?

If you bought the idol, and smash it, then you are not breaking the law. But if you go and smash property that belong to you, then you are breaking the law.

And if you don't see anything wrong with breaking other people's properties as being "wrong", then you are indeed a sociopath.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +6,661
    Religion:
    Pi π
    *sigh*

These sort of questions are rather vague. Can you be more specific with your questions?

If you are talking only about the "war in Iraq", then I would suggest that you start another new topic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +518
    Good idea. However though I should point out some things. When Americans invaded Iraq, the statues went crashing down. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,577
    That generally happens during wars. Which is why we view wars as tragic and destructive. Well, partly anyway.

12. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +6,661
    Religion:
    Pi π
    If that happen, then it is a tragic to lose any historical objects.

But I don't think it was the aim of the American military to destroy any statue, it wasn't their strategy to cause any damage. I am not defending the war, but you must understand the differences between damages through accidents or oversight and deliberate damage.

However, some years back before the invasion of Afghanistan, the Talibans deliberately destroyed the large Buddhist statue(s). They rejoiced in setting the explosives on the statues and filming them exploding those statues.

That was deliberate, intentional. Because of their fanaticism to Islam, they were destroying that country part of history.

Those Talibans only made Islam look like a religion of terror. Is that the image of Islam that you want non-Muslims to see?

Do you understand the difference, sovietchild?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Aštra’el

Aštra’el Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Ratings:
    +2,048
    Religion:
    I do not view that as "immoral" at all, especially if a Man was doing what a Man subjectively believed was right.

#553 Aštra’el, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2017
  14. The Emperor of Mankind

The Emperor of Mankind Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Ratings:
    +6,479
    Religion:
    Greek Paganism
    Literally anything is justifiable & moral with that logic.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. Aštra’el

Aštra’el Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Ratings:
    +2,048
    Religion:
    That is because morality is subjective.

16. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,823
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    I take issue with that claim. Definitely so when taken to this extreme your propose, which makes one wonder what good there is in even using the concept.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,094
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    It was morally wrong all the way to the beginning, when a bunch of white people showed up and just took everyone else's stuff. Sure, we wouldn't have the US if we didn't, but that doesn't make it right, either.

• Like Like x 2
  18. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +518
    @paarsurrey You asked me to provide you with a Quran verse about Muhammad smashing the idols. Can you provide me with any sources that Muhammad didn't?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +518
    I just found out that there is ahmadi muslim community. Maybe that's what they believe. It's called Ahmadiyya.

20. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,863
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    Hehehe, hence my saying, "It must be some kind of Ahmadhi revisionist quackery."