• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with smashing the idols?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When Prophet Muhammad finally conquered Mecca in 631 AD, he allegedly entered the Ka'ba and destroyed the 360 idols in its precincts shouting
"Falsehood is destroyed, truth prevails".
IF you have every wondered why many people think that Islam is inherently violent you might want to read your own quote several dozen times so the point can sink in. People need look no further than this, really. In contrast, it is alleged that Jesus flipped over a table in a temple when he was having a bad hair day. See the difference?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
And other people have other religions. What happened to 'to you your religion and to me mine'?
Oh, that's only for the marketing brochures. They don't really mean it. :)

Seriously though, in my experience, that is the nearest you will get a Muslim to admitting they are in error or that they have lost a debate. It's usually said with resignation.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
IF you have every wondered why many people think that Islam is inherently violent you might want to read your own quote several dozen times so the point can sink in. People need look no further than this, really. In contrast, it is alleged that Jesus flipped over a table in a temple when he was having a bad hair day. See the difference?
In his own temple (he was a jew) to protest against the perceived malpractices of money-lenders (allegedly). Neither Paul, Jesus, Peter etc. advocate smashing idols by going into Greek and Egyptian temples..that part came later.
It is now clear that Taliban and ISIS are indeed doing the prophet's holy work when they defaced the Bamiyan Buddha (to add to the long line of destruction of Asian religion sites) and the Roman ruins of Palmyra. Yay??!!

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Yes I agree, there is also one in Brazil that needs to get smashed.
Yes, it would be much better for all the people in Brazil if this idol were smashed:
christ-statue-in-brazil-travel-panorama.jpg

Brian Schuh

I threw away my Christian idol things. I was going to give them to a charity shop but I didn't want the idols to be in anyone else's house either. That was OK. If I threw away someone else's idols, that would be wrong.
I threw my mother's "idol" in the garbage without damaging it in front of her face, nullifying it for myself but leaving up to her to destroy or damage it. Abraham destroyed his father's idols thus denying his father the chance to nullify his own idols. Every man must destroy his own idols. So I am in complete agreement.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I agree.

These violent delights have violent ends - Shakespeare.

Eventually, like fire, the violence turns in on its own maker and burns what he has built to the ground. That is the story of imperial Rome, colonial Europe and now Islamic Middle East.

But those blind to history sees nothing.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I dunno why youdo this, such violence ! I know sometimes their songs are annoying but they are usually kind of cute. Also you might get in trouble if you smash underage idols.

three-akb48.jpg

What a strange man you are

Aum Namah Shivaya

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When Prophet Muhammad finally conquered Mecca in 631 AD, he allegedly entered the Ka'ba and destroyed the 360 idols in its precincts shouting
"Falsehood is destroyed, truth prevails".
So, by force and unlawfully, he took other peoples' property, and destroyed it. I have a problem with that.

Edit: I also have a problem with killing people.

Last edited: