• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with smashing the idols?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I can speak a moderate amount of Russian. I can both read and write in Cyrillic, as well as the Elder and Younger Futhark. But I can make out only about half of what you're posting.

meghanwaterlillies

Soviets gave n. korea info on how to become communists. A wipe out of all other religions took place during that period well anything that opposed really. Worship allah sounds okay that means god right. What if someone become allah for them or god for them on the other hand you have a world increase with spying that might impend on people's consciousness and their mental stability depending if they those with the power feel like it. Which might be the reasoning north korea had on shut down to the rest of the world.The un backed the us in this (gross pivotal compromise) but there was one tree blocked their view from being able to spy so they sent out people to cut it down they were axed.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
...prophet Ibrahim then raised his ax and started smashing the false gods worshipped by the people. He destroyed them all except one, on whose neck he hung the ax. After this his anger subsided and he felt at peace. He left the temple. He had fulfilled his vow to show his people a practical proof of their foolishness in worshipping something other than Allah.
"He left the temple"
Did this happen in a temple? Please quote the relevant verse of Quran?
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"He left the temple"
Did this happen in a temple? Please quote the relevant verse of Quran?
Regards
I give the event from Wikipedia:
According to Genesis Rabbah 38.13 R. Hiyya, a first generation Jewish sage, tells the following story:

Abraham cast into the fire
Terah was an idol manufacturer who once went away and left Abraham in charge of the store. A man walked in and wished to buy an idol. Abraham asked him how old he was and the man responded “fifty years old.” Abraham then said, “You are fifty years old and would worship a day old statue!” At this point the man left ashamed.

Later, a woman walked in to the store and wanted to make an offering to the idols. So Abraham took a stick, smashed the idols and placed the stick in the hand of the largest idol. When Terah returned he asked Abraham what happened to all the idols. Abraham told him that a woman came in to make an offering to the idols. Then the idols argued about which one should eat the offering first. Then the largest idol took the stick and smashed the other idols.

Terah responded by saying that they are only statues and have no knowledge. Whereupon Abraham responded by saying that you deny their knowledge, yet you worship them! At which point Terah took Abraham to Nimrod.

Nimrod proclaims to Abraham that we should worship fire. Abraham responds that water puts out fire. So Nimrod declares they worship water. Abraham responds that clouds hold water. So Nimrod declares they worship clouds. Abraham responds that wind pushes clouds. So Nimrod declares they worship wind. Abraham responds that people withstand wind.

Nimrod becomes angry with Abraham and declares that Abraham shall be cast into the fire, and if Abraham is correct that there is a real God, that God will save him. Then Abraham is cast into the fire and is saved by God.
Abraham and the Idol Shop - Wikipedia
Regards

Shad

Veteran Member
These are claims and not evidences, the article itself says that Muslims left no evidence
to prove that the site was of a temple, so it's just a claim.

You didn't read either source as neither makes this statement. It is easy to catch you in lie just by reading the source.

Maybe Muhammed got the idea from Abraham who is an important prophet in Islam.

More likely that Muslims in the 8th/9th C invented the story to create parallels between Muhammad and Abraham to mirror Abraham, a prophet that appeared in a pagan environment. This is to distance Islam from its Judaeo-Christian roots.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Quran honors and protects the worship places of all religions, and allows freedom of religion and freedom of speech in most unequivocal terms, no other religion, to my knowledge does it:...
Please
Regards
The Baha'i faith honours the places of worship of other religions too, Bah'u'llah says "Consort with the followers of all religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship." You will not find any command to tear down the worship places of others in Baha'u'llah's teachings.

Jedster

More likely that Muslims in the 8th/9th C invented the story to create parallels between Muhammad and Abraham to mirror Abraham, a prophet that appeared in a pagan environment. This is to distance Islam from its Judaeo-Christian roots.

I don't see Islam distancing itself from its Judaeo-Christian roots. From my conversations with Muslims, they claim both Abraham & Jesus as prophets and that both Christians and Jews had true scriptures(Torah & Injeel) which has been corrupted.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Warning: long, boringly repetitive commentary to follow.

Story of Prophet Yunus Story of Prophet Yunus/Jonah (pbuh)

The inhabitants of the town of Nineveh were idolaters who lived a shameless life.

You see, I have strong objections to supposedly religious texts that entitle themselves to making such harsh and blanked statements.

By a Muslim perspective, of course, "living a shameless life" means that good Muslims are excused from treating them as human beings worth of basic respect and decency. Their role in the tale to follow is declared here, practically from the get-go, to be that of villains to be despised and perhaps destroyed.

They are not brothers missing a step because, perhaps, they happen to believe in a slightly different conception of God than ours; they are not people who may hold wrong beliefs; they are not even plain difficult people who try one's patience with their stubborness or foolishness, oh no. That would perhaps be understandable and even excusable.

Instead, they are "idolaters who live a shameless life". And who could possibly have any respect for those people? Is "people" even a proper word to use for such idolaters?

See what I mean to point out? The text declares the people of Nineveh unworthy of basic respect simply because they do not share the exact same beliefs about God and are not willing to ask for forgiveness for that. That, and nothing else, is what makes them "shameless idolaters". It is a very hateful judgement about supposedly real people, and we are given no support for that hatred beyond the claim that they are "idolaters", which means nothing more than that they believe in some form of deity that is not that of Muslims.

That is not religious doctrine as I understand the concept. It is a call for prejudice against those who hold even slightly different beliefs, joined with a statement that supporting such prejudice is a matter of moral integrity.

In short, it is a call for tribal unity based on the development of open hatred against those who hold even slightly different beliefs. There is no way to make sense or even have much patience for the remainder of the tale without accepting the need for such a nurturing of hatred.

Maybe you disagree?

May you tell me whether there is any difference between "being idolaters who live a shameless life" and simply believing in different gods from those of the Qur'an?

Does the Qur'an even accept that there may be such a difference?

Are there even any means for a good Muslim to point out that there might be such a difference?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Warning: long, boringly repetitive commentary to follow.

You see, I have strong objections to supposedly religious texts that entitle themselves to making such harsh and blanked statements.

By a Muslim perspective, of course, "living a shameless life" means that good Muslims are excused from treating them as human beings worth of basic respect and decency. Their role in the tale to follow is declared here, practically from the get-go, to be that of villains to be despised and perhaps destroyed.

They are not brothers missing a step because, perhaps, they happen to believe in a slightly different conception of God than ours; they are not people who may hold wrong beliefs; they are not even plain difficult people who try one's patience with their stubborness or foolishness, oh no. That would perhaps be understandable and even excusable.

Instead, they are "idolaters who live a shameless life". And who could possibly have any respect for those people? Is "people" even a proper word to use for such idolaters?

See what I mean to point out? The text declares the people of Nineveh unworthy of basic respect simply because they do not share the exact same beliefs about God and are not willing to ask for forgiveness for that. That, and nothing else, is what makes them "shameless idolaters". It is a very hateful judgement about supposedly real people, and we are given no support for that hatred beyond the claim that they are "idolaters", which means nothing more than that they believe in some form of deity that is not that of Muslims.

That is not religious doctrine as I understand the concept. It is a call for prejudice against those who hold even slightly different beliefs, joined with a statement that supporting such prejudice is a matter of moral integrity.

In short, it is a call for tribal unity based on the development of open hatred against those who hold even slightly different beliefs. There is no way to make sense or even have much patience for the remainder of the tale without accepting the need for such a nurturing of hatred.

Maybe you disagree?

May you tell me whether there is any difference between "being idolaters who live a shameless life" and simply believing in different gods from those of the Qur'an?

Does the Qur'an even accept that there may be such a difference?

Are there even any means for a good Muslim to point out that there might be such a difference?
"That is not religious doctrine as I understand the concept."

I agree with one. There is no such teaching in Quran. Other religions are respected in Quran and by Muhammad. Please
Regards