• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Wrong With Scientology?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As an ex-Scientologist, I have my own ideas but I am curious about what other people think.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
the tech. the e-meter. o_O:eek:

"denies the existence of psychiatric conditions, or any biological learning difficulties."

Study Tech - Wikipedia

"claims that the E-meter can be used to assess the emotion charge of single words, whole sentences, and questions, as well as indicating the general state of the subject when the operator is not speaking"

E-meter - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
From the outside it seems like a money making project.

Yeah that was kind of my issue with it. There was an expectation that you purchase all of the appropriate books which were already priced high and the price increased each month.

The idea I was told was to encourage folks to purchase before the price increases. It was also claimed the money was needed to support the court cases against the government.

As a member of the Sea Org, I had access to all of the books, all of the training, all of the auditing for free. Of course I had to sign my life away for a millions years. "Reincarnation" was accepted as a reality. So they were serious about the million years.

Ellen Brown

As an ex-Scientologist, I have my own ideas but I am curious about what other people think.

I was taking a Creative Writing class in College in the early 80's when I heard about the origin of Scientology.

Prior to the class I was walking across the Campus on the way to the classroom, and a man riding a Harley and in leathers parked and shut his bike off. I'm more fascinated than I should be by huge, hot, noisy, vibrating machines, so sort of slowed down as he got off his machine and stepped up on the sidewalk near me. He turned to me and asked about the Creative Writing class, and I told him where I was going. He thanked me and I forgot about him.

Much to my surprise, he was a famous author and the speaker in class for the night. As a part of his lecture, he told a story about having worked for a San Francisco Newspaper (The name escapes me). Depending on my fallible memory about it, he related an experience he'd had at lunch where he sat with a reporter from that paper who told him a story.

The reporter said that he had been having lunch with another reporter who also dabbled in writing Science Fiction books. His name was L. Ron Hubbard. As the two talked, the reporter that Ron was talking to said that he could make a lot more money with is books than the 3 cents per word that the Newspaper paid. Ron took his friend's advice and published several Sci Fi books, one of which was "Battlefield Earth". John Travolta acted in a movie adaptation of that Book. I don't think the movie is that bad... :)

The problem is that people took his books seriously and that is the origin of Scientology. :)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I helped with the design of some of the earlier E-meters.

The study tech seemed to work for me. Seems fairly simple so I'm not quite sure how it is controversial.
Sorry, I edited my post shortly after clicking the reply button... ( bad habit ).

The problem with tech is that it ( according to wikipedia and others ) denies psychiatric conditions.

The problem with the e-meter is that its use in Scientology has not been clinically studied.

BTW: What is your opinion of Xenu? Is it actually part of the Scientology belief system, or just an urban legend?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I was taking a Creative Writing class in College in the early 80's when I heard about the origin of Scientology.

Prior to the class I was walking across the Campus on the way to the classroom, and a man riding a Harley and in leathers parked and shut his bike off. I'm more fascinated than I should be by huge, hot, noisy, vibrating machines, so sort of slowed down as he got off his machine and stepped up on the sidewalk near me. He turned to me and asked about the Creative Writing class, and I told him where I was going. He thanked me and I forgot about him.

Much to my surprise, he was a famous author and the speaker in class for the night. As a part of his lecture, he told a story about having worked for a San Francisco Newspaper (The name escapes me). Depending on my fallible memory about it, he related an experience he'd had at lunch where he sat with a reporter from that paper who told him a story.

The reporter said that he had been having lunch with another reporter who also dabbled in writing Science Fiction books. His name was L. Ron Hubbard. As the two talked, the reporter that Ron was talking to said that he could make a lot more money with is books than the 3 cents per word that the Newspaper paid. Ron took his friend's advice and published several Sci Fi books, one of which was "Battlefield Earth". John Travolta acted in a movie adaptation of that Book. I don't think the movie is that bad... :)

The problem is that people took his books seriously and that is the origin of Scientology. :)

Heard the same story but couldn't verify the source.

The movie was suppose to trigger folks to a claimed reality of the situation we face on Earth. Latent past life memories. Did you feel triggered by the movie? I didn't really. Just seemed a work for entertainment.

dianaiad

I read "Battlefield Earth" before I heard about Scientology. Very long book, and the hero was....er....superman. Absolutely virtuous, athletic, superman personified. I got fascinated. Surely no author would seriously write a hero that way...but he did...

After that, I decided that the guy who wrote that would have a field day with a religion, so I didn't even attempt to investigate scientology.

...........though I can't seem to get away from it. For crying out loud, the national center for it in LA is right across the street from the Kaiser facility I have to get treated at, and when I go get lunch I am surrounded by 'em.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
They're a brainwashing cult that is responsible for various abuses and deaths. They attack ex-members who speak out and even encourage violence against them. Yes, they are also greedy and milk their members of money by peddling garbage but that's not all they do. Hubbard was a very weird person and accused of being a Satanist and involvement with organized crime by his son. He was into Thelema with Jack Parsons, notably. Satanism doesn't bother me but his son claimed that he thought he was Satan and to be worshipped. He seemed to be a psychopath or at least a clinical narcissist.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
From the outside it seems like a money making project.
I was staying with a friend who lived next door to one of their churches. She would get home a couple of hours after I did, so I spent some time trolling the scientologist recruiters. From everyone else I've spoken to, I think I may be the only person to have gotten a free copy of Dianetics out of them. They kept telling me how they absolutely knew it would change my life and fix all my problems. My response was "well, give me a copy, I promise I'll read it, if it's as good as you say, I'll have to come back and get into the auditing and courses, won't I? So you'll more than make the money back on the investment of giving me the book for free, right? Only way you won't make money from me is if the book isn't as good as you say, right?"

barely readable drivel. They never made a cent from me

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Sorry, I edited my post shortly after clicking the reply button... ( bad habit ).

The problem with tech is that it ( according to wikipedia and others ) denies psychiatric conditions.

They were in a constant battle with psychiatry and considered it quackery.

The problem with the e-meter is that its use in Scientology has not been clinically studied.

The auditor could tell when I was holding back something. Also, they used to use me for testing the e-meters. The needle would "float" when your mind was clear. I could cause the needle to float by going into a meditative state. I was never an auditor so was always on the other side of the cans.

BTW: What is your opinion of Xenu? Is it actually part of the Scientology belief system, or just an urban legend?

Didn't hear about Xenu until after I left. Hubbard was still developing some of the higher OT levels. May have come out after I was gone.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I read "Battlefield Earth" before I heard about Scientology. Very long book, and the hero was....er....superman. Absolutely virtuous, athletic, superman personified. I got fascinated. Surely no author would seriously write a hero that way...but he did...

After that, I decided that the guy who wrote that would have a field day with a religion, so I didn't even attempt to investigate scientology.

...........though I can't seem to get away from it. For crying out loud, the national center for it in LA is right across the street from the Kaiser facility I have to get treated at, and when I go get lunch I am surrounded by 'em.

Are you talking about the Big Blue church building? Used to be a Hospital. I used to live there. Also a center in downtown Hollywood for Celebs.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Don't know too much about it myself. Other than I remember my Dad reading Dianetics when I was a child in the 80's/90's. Just seemed like sci-fi to me. :shrug:Hard to believe anyone built upon that to make a religion out of it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Don't know too much about it myself. Other than I remember my Dad reading Dianetics when I was a child in the 80's/90's. Just seemed like sci-fi to me. :shrug:Hard to believe anyone built upon that to make a religion out of it.

I was 18/19 at the time, looking for something to believe in. Never met Hubbard but was surrounded by people who accepted it all as fact.

Shad

Veteran Member

It is sci-fiction turned into a religion that goes after criticism with lawsuits. It cons it's follower like all religions which demanding money.