• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with religion?

Mujahid Mohammed

That's another objection to certain religions. Too many of them encourage their adherents to confuse their opinions and fantasies with God's, and submission to their oracles with submission to God.
Is this in relation to a purely monetheistic religion in relation to a polytheistic?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Is this in relation to a purely monetheistic religion in relation to a polytheistic?

I don't see how it could apply to polytheism, since we don't "submit" to our Gods in the same way Christians or Muslims do. Matter of fact I don't think I would use "submission" to describe a polytheists relationship with their Gods.

Mujahid Mohammed

I don't see how it could apply to polytheism, since we don't "submit" to our Gods in the same way Christians or Muslims do. Matter of fact I don't think I would use "submission" to describe a polytheists relationship with their Gods.
My question is in relation to MB's statment regarding how people confuse their fantasies, and submission to oracles to submission to God. In other words I was wondering if his statement about the the oracles is concerning those who are polytheist to when MB says the submission of God ie. monotheist. I am not sure what you are talking about because I was asking him to differentiate between the two. So please ask MB your question. for I do not think MB's statment was to state whether or not a polytheist submits to their Gods or not. I do not think that is what MB was referring to I am not completely sure hence the reason I asked a question.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
For some reason, I have the distinct feeling he was talking about the Monotheistic religions.

Polytheists don't have oracles either. Except possibly for Hellenic Reconstructionalists, but there aren't very many of those.

Smoke

Done here.
Not necessarily. If a polytheistic religion were dogmatic and authoritarian, the same would apply to them. However, I've never come across any polytheistic religion that was dogmatic and authoritarian.

Smoke

Done here.
My question is in relation to MB's statment regarding how people confuse their fantasies, and submission to oracles to submission to God. In other words I was wondering if his statement about the the oracles is concerning those who are polytheist to when MB says the submission of God ie. monotheist. I am not sure what you are talking about because I was asking him to differentiate between the two. So please ask MB your question. for I do not think MB's statment was to state whether or not a polytheist submits to their Gods or not. I do not think that is what MB was referring to I am not completely sure hence the reason I asked a question.
No, when I mentioned oracles I was referring to prophets and scriptures as well as any other kind of oracle. Anything that purports to be an infallible message from God. In retrospect, it was probably a bad choice of words.

Mujahid Mohammed

For some reason, I have the distinct feeling he was talking about the Monotheistic religions.

Polytheists don't have oracles either. Except possibly for Hellenic Reconstructionalists, but there aren't very many of those.
so as you can see he was speaking about all the religion which includes poly

Mujahid Mohammed

Not necessarily. If a polytheistic religion were dogmatic and authoritarian, the same would apply to them. However, I've never come across any polytheistic religion that was dogmatic and authoritarian.
of course you have they all have dogma's and authoritarian things contained within.

capslockf9

Religion like most thought is assumed to be true. So some invent religion and sets of rules to go along with it. And another invents another religion. And "BAM" we are now seperated. This unanalyzed thought is unquestion to either teams. The teams are living a reduced contracted life. So what is wrong with religion ; is that we live a lie.