• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Wrong With Jews Who Repeatedly Post the Most Hateful Propaganda Towards Muslims?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Please tell that to Hamas.
So now as someone trying to say lets end hatred, you want me to tell the warring parties not to fight...

Did you even look at the article of why the people were stabbed, and you're still taking sides. :rolleyes:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Do you know the history of what was called Palestine and why? I live in North America, but there is no country called "North America" with a capitol and a native culture. The region that was labeled did not call forth a particular people and culture -- the Zionists were the Palestinians so the map that tries to label "Palestinian" lands is in error. You have yet to show me otherwise.

palestine-ot.gif

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
So now as someone trying to say lets end hatred, you want me to tell the warring parties not to fight...

Did you even look at the article of why the people were stabbed, and you're still taking sides. :rolleyes:

The Palestinians voted in Hamas - who's stated goal is the total destruction of Israel. Israel has no such document pointing in the other direction. It strikes me that you might be guilty of the soft bigotry of low expectations. I prefer to take the Palestinians and Hamas at their word.

ChristineM

Premium Member
? I said that the UN's actions do not make me feel better??

As for the "internationally agreed standards", can you name a few?

All the censures against Israel are made in agreement by an international committee.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
All the censures against Israel are made in agreement by a biased trumped international committee.

ChristineM

Premium Member
feel free to show me where in the "Old Testament" the area you presented was called "Palestine".

Exodus 15:14 ; Isaiah 14:29 Isaiah 14:31 ; Joel 3:4

Note the lands then called Philistia is now called Palestine.

rosends

15:14 -- P'lashet
14:29 -- F'leshet
14:31 -- P'leshet
Joel 4:3 -- P'lashet

So where is "Philistia" let alone "Palestine"?

Kirran

Premium Member
Do you know the history of what was called Palestine and why? I live in North America, but there is no country called "North America" with a capitol and a native culture. The region that was labeled did not call forth a particular people and culture -- the Zionists were the Palestinians so the map that tries to label "Palestinian" lands is in error. You have yet to show me otherwise.

I guess it's similar to how America was originally a geographical term, but then a political entity and a people arose calling themselves Americans in a subset of that land.

rosends

I guess it's similar to how America was originally a geographical term, but then a political entity and a people arose calling themselves Americans in a subset of that land.
It just shows that political nationhood is not identical with a geographic label, and not all labels become peoples.

Kirran

Premium Member
It just shows that political nationhood is not identical with a geographic label, and not all labels become peoples.

True. But the Palestinian label has done.

Quibbling over 'but there aren't really Palestinians anyway because of X, Y and Z semantics' doesn't really address any actual issues of the real world.

rosends

True. But the Palestinian label has done.

Quibbling over 'but there aren't really Palestinians anyway because of X, Y and Z semantics' doesn't really address any actual issues of the real world.
But beyond semantics, there has never been a discrete people with that label. In fact, the term "palestinian" was applied to Jewish Zionists who lived in the region so any attempt to abel a group "Palestinian" as a separate group, especially predating 1964 or thereabouts is useless. Plenty of local arab leaders rejected the label and the existence of a separate group.

Kirran

Premium Member
But beyond semantics, there has never been a discrete people with that label. In fact, the term "palestinian" was applied to Jewish Zionists who lived in the region so any attempt to abel a group "Palestinian" as a separate group, especially predating 1964 or thereabouts is useless. Plenty of local arab leaders rejected the label and the existence of a separate group.

There is now a discrete people with that label though. And we can talk about the antecedents of the current group X by the name X even if they weren't calling themselves X at the time without being particularly ridiculous.

rosends

There is now a discrete people with that label though. And we can talk about the antecedents of the current group X by the name X even if they weren't calling themselves X at the time without being particularly ridiculous.
So we can talk about Israelis before 1948? Then the land was full of Israelis before there was a state of Israel. That language would surely elicit a strong reaction from many.

Kirran

Premium Member
So we can talk about Israelis before 1948? Then the land was full of Israelis before there was a state of Israel. That language would surely elicit a strong reaction from many.

Well the people in Israel prior to the formation of the state of Israel were, for the most part, not the antecedents of the Israelis, who were born from the population movements of the '40s onwards.

rosends

Well the people in Israel prior to the formation of the state of Israel were, for the most part, not the antecedents of the Israelis, who were born from the population movements of the '40s onwards.
That's not very useful as an argument for 2 reasons:
1. the people in Israel are indeed the antecedents of the current Israelis. Immigration from the 1880's (well, actually before, but terms like "the first aliyah" date back to then) put a whole lot of "Israelis" in the land.
2. The current batch of Arabs are the children of immigrants, not the arabs who were there in the past. More on Arab immigrants, So called "Palestinians". When they started to flood Palestine as Jews changed and cultivated the vacant land :: Reader comments at Daniel Pipes

Kirran

Premium Member
That's not very useful as an argument for 2 reasons:
1. the people in Israel are indeed the antecedents of the current Israelis. Immigration from the 1880's (well, actually before, but terms like "the first aliyah" date back to then) put a whole lot of "Israelis" in the land.
2. The current batch of Arabs are the children of immigrants, not the arabs who were there in the past. More on Arab immigrants, So called "Palestinians". When they started to flood Palestine as Jews changed and cultivated the vacant land :: Reader comments at Daniel Pipes

Yeah, cool. Random blogs and anti-Palestinian news sites sometimes do come out with that 'they're all immigrants' stuff, though I've yet to discover reputable scholarship to back it up. And this was a real interest of mine for a while.

Regardless, there are a people called Palestinians now.