• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Wrong With Falun Gong?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
FalunDafa_Burn_tanyongjie.jpg

2004-7-6-gao_rongrong3.jpg

Falun Gong - Wikipedia

Hard to imagine a modern society where one is tortured for pursuing truthfulness, compassion and forbearance. How can this along with meditation, a few simple exercises be a threat to government?

Then-president Jiang Zemin issued orders to eliminate the group, which was later declared an “evil cult”
20 years on, Falun Gong survives underground in China | The Japan Times

I wouldn't even call this a religious movement. What is China so afraid of?

Kavan draws a comparison between Falun Gong and Maoism, writing that “like Mao, Li has activated millions of people with his rhetoric. His ideology is similarly characterized by moral superiority, defining others as absolute evil, dehumanizing enemies by labeling them snake spirits and possessed by ghosts, extolling the virtues of selflessness and sacrifice, emphasizing the necessity of enduring physical hardship, harassing critics, and denigrating science in favor of his purportedly infallible truths.”
Why China fears the Falun Gong

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000005.jpg

SF-Falun-Gong-Vigil-20161022-1440x960.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
China needs to take back their country from the Communists.
They believe they've traded freedom for prosperity. The old idea that business success required political freedom was just that, an idea, and it turns out not an accurate assumption.

epronovost

The Chinese government like any dictatorial regime is completely paranoid at the idea that its power could be undermined by anything or anybody. Plus, China does have a history of "spiritual movement" not dissimilar to Falun Gong rising to become political powers of their own. When you are a hammer, everything is a nail and people uselessly suffer for it. I would mention though that Falun Gong views could be described as a form of radical traditionnalism that mixes neo-confucianism, chinese folk religion and a dash of pseudo-christian millennialism, not the sort of people I would trust with large amount of political power either.

dianaiad

It is a fact of human nature that in order to persecute someone, you have to 'kick them out' of your group and culture. The easiest way to do that is to label the target group a 'cult,' even though that's a word that has no meaning, except 'your beliefs are weird and I don't like you."

Audie

Veteran Member

Falun Gong - Wikipedia

Hard to imagine a modern society where one is tortured for pursuing truthfulness, compassion and forbearance. How can this along with meditation, a few simple exercises be a threat to government?

Then-president Jiang Zemin issued orders to eliminate the group, which was later declared an “evil cult”

Kavan draws a comparison between Falun Gong and Maoism, writing that “like Mao, Li has activated millions of people with his rhetoric. His ideology is similarly characterized by moral superiority, defining others as absolute evil, dehumanizing enemies by labeling them snake spirits and possessed by ghosts, extolling the virtues of selflessness and sacrifice, emphasizing the necessity of enduring physical hardship, harassing critics, and denigrating science in favor of his purportedly infallible truths.”

Flaunt gong has a lot wrong with it.
Lots wrong with fake news, too.
And, if you don’t mind me aspersions your
writing style, also with rhetorical questions
like “What is China afraid of?”

Audie

Veteran Member
It is a fact of human nature that in order to persecute someone, you have to 'kick them out' of your group and culture. The easiest way to do that is to label the target group a 'cult,' even though that's a word that has no meaning, except 'your beliefs are weird and I don't like you."

Could be. Could also be that it is a cult, being the which of why
it gets “persecuted.

Audie

Veteran Member
The Chinese government like any dictatorial regime is completely paranoid at the idea that its power could be undermined by anything or anybody. Plus, China does have a history of "spiritual movement" not dissimilar to Falun Gong rising to become political powers of their own. When you are a hammer, everything is a nail and people uselessly suffer for it. I would mention though that Falun Gong views could be described as a form of radical traditionnalism that mixes neo-confucianism, chinese folk religion and a dash of pseudo-christian millennialism, not the sort of people I would trust with large amount of political power either.
If you know anything about the history of
China, that aversion to divisive elements and
attendant chaos is hardly a psychological
pathology, your suggestion of which is
you know, a bit insulting.

Audie

Veteran Member
They believe they've traded freedom for prosperity. The old idea that business success required political freedom was just that, an idea, and it turns out not an accurate assumption.
What makes you think there has been such a trade?

A bit of a side note but “freedom” is not like money and time,
in standard measure able units.
Americans have more laws and regulations than anywhere.
In various countries one can do things that will get you
in a awful lot of trouble in the US.

In the event, there’s no freedom if you have no money.

More Chinese have more freedom to change their fate than
ever in history.

I know our society is kind of opaque and incomprehensible to
Westerners. But, you know, you can read and think and learn.

The South China Morning Post is online and an excellent
window to the Far East

dianaiad

Could be. Could also be that it is a cult, being the which of why
it gets “persecuted.

....and what is the definition of 'cult?"

......................(and you might know by now that this is a REAL hot button for me....)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What makes you think there has been such a trade?

Americans have more laws and regulations than anywhere.
In various countries one can do things that will get you
in a awful lot of trouble in the US.

In the event, there’s no freedom if you have no money.

More Chinese have more freedom to change their fate than
ever in history.

I know our society is kind of opaque and incomprehensible to
Westerners. But, you know, you can read and think and learn.

The South China Morning Post is online and an excellent
window to the Far East
  • The Chinese are locking up Muslims in concentration camps.
  • The Chinese lock up anyone who dissents from the party line.
  • The Chinese have attacked the Dalai Lama because he insists on following Buddhism.
  • The Chinese refuse to allow people freedom of speech, freedom of religion and other freedoms we take for granted.
  • The Chinese have constructed a surveillance state where they monitor everything people do.
  • Xi is a dictator
  • The Chinese parliament does what Xi tells them to do.
China is thus the enemy of everything that is good about the USA.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Falun Gong - Wikipedia

As a Falun Gong practitioner I can not say how much it means when you spreading the truth about the evil Chinese Communist party.
As your title of the thread ask, What is wrong with Falun Gong? Actually nothing is wrong. We are percecuted because we speak truth and communist party do not like when we expose them as the evil force in this world.
Yes many falun gong practitioners have been harmed, and killed and many have been operated illegally to remove our organs because CCP belive they can harvest our Gong energy and use it for them self. But what they do not seem to understand is that Gong energy can only be cultiated by the person him/her self. Not taken by force.

Falun Gong is a cultivation of Truthfulness, compassion and forberance. and it is a personal cultivation practice it means for us to be able to awaken or enlighten to the truth we practitioners must study the Fa or teaching. Do 5 different energy excersises. And cutivating our Xinxing (morality). But also spreading the word of Falun Gong and how the CCP treating us and other spiritual practices.
I have on my profile a longer intro to Falun Gong.

Audie

Veteran Member
....and what is the definition of 'cult?"

......................(and you might know by now that this is a REAL hot button for me....)
You are demanding that I discuss semantics and your emotional issues?

What lady could possibly resist such a delightful invitation!

epronovost

Actually yes. There is such a thing as a ''democracy index' (in fact there are several)' which measures and grades civic freedom on a grade of 1 to 10 using a variety of measures from the level of incarceration, the presence and enforcement of civic rights like free speech, freedom of religion, gender equality, racial equality, the openness and fairness of the judicial system, protection against arbitrary arrest and detention, protection against torture, level of political participation, etc. Mainland China currently stands at the 130th rank out of 167 country analysed. It's overall grade is of 3.32 out of 10. When it comes to civil liberties, what we could be consider ''freedom'', it has a grade 1.47 out of 10. China's highest score is in ''political culture'' stands at 6 out of 10. Taiwan is at number 32 with an average of 7.73. Hong Kong is number 73 at 6.15 of average grade. The US is at the 25th rank with a grade of 7.96 while my own country, Canada, is at rank 6 with an average of 9.15. Number one spot is held by Norway while the last one is held by North Korea.

Audie

Veteran Member
Actually yes. There is such a thing as a ''democracy index' (in fact there are several)' which measures and grades civic freedom on a grade of 1 to 10 using a variety of measures from the level of incarceration, the presence and enforcement of civic rights like free speech, freedom of religion, gender equality, racial equality, the openness and fairness of the judicial system, protection against arbitrary arrest and detention, protection against torture, level of political participation, etc. Mainland China currently stands at the 130th rank out of 167 country analysed. It's overall grade is of 3.32 out of 10. When it comes to civil liberties, what we could be consider ''freedom'', it has a grade 1.47 out of 10. China's highest score is in ''political culture'' stands at 6 out of 10. Taiwan is at number 32 with an average of 7.73. Hong Kong is number 73 at 6.15 of average grade. The US is at the 25th rank with a grade of 7.96 while my own country, Canada, is at rank 6 with an average of 9.15. Number one spot is held by Norway while the last one is held by North Korea.

Those are aspects of freedom, yes. And you can see why HK
values and will fight for its freedoms.
Are you totally disagreeing with me?

Laika

Premium Member

Falun Gong - Wikipedia

I’m uneasy about knee-jerk reactions to Chinese government policy but I genuinely don’t know enough about the Fauln Gong to comment.